P-90 Esquire-ish Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Maricopa, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Just finished this one, it's a little different.
    I didn't take a whole lot of pics during the construction but it was from scratch with the exception of the fingerboard.
    Basics are a body made from catalpa and a myrtle cap. I would really encourage folks here to look into catalpa, it's pretty, light and very resonant. Only real drawback is that it's 'chippy' and can be a challenge to route and because there's a lot of density difference between the rings sanding the end grain and transitions in the curves is kind of a pain. Overall though it's an interesting wood.
    Maple neck with the 25" scale rosewood board, a myrtle headstock overlay and the real weirdness, an 'acoustic' saddle. Besides just wanting something different I was broke and trying not to buy anything not completely necessary so I laminated some of the myrtle to a piece of rosewood that matched the fretboard and did a string thru to a 1/8" aluminum anchor set into the back.
    The control cover is rosewood also.
    The saddle is set up to possibly add a piezo in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I used some 1/4-20 knock-down fasteners and inserts to mount the neck.

Finish is nitro with a garnet shellac washcoat for some color and epoxy pore fill.
    The P-90 is from Eastwood and the knobs are from Ace Hardware mean as replacements for stoves and stuff.

[​IMG]

3. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

The catalpa really turned out to be a cool looking wood. It's also very light. I've compared this guitar to a pine Tele and it's lighter but I think a lot of that is the lack of metal. For whatever reason though, its lively and has great sustain.

[​IMG]

I made a short YouTube clip last night.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtYHClCmAx0

4. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

That's a cool looking setup! I don't know what kind of acoustic qualities it would have w/ a piezo, but it'd be a neat addition. How's the intonation with that bridge style?

5. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Very Cool, I love the grain and the neck bolts. though the acoustic bridge is a bit wierd to my eye haha

6. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Very cool build. Also interested to hear how it intonates...
    How did you do the control plate routing on the back?
    Routing template from Stew-Mac?

7. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys.

Intonation isn't a big deal, just like doing a regular acoustic. I still haven't settled on an action yet so I haven't messed much with it. Once I decide whether it's going to be a slider or a regular guitar and what gauge strings it will have I can do the set-back on the saddle. Plus I can make more than one if I switch it back and forth.
    As it is with 11s and a slightly high action about 1/2 the strings are dead on already

The control cavity is pretty much freehanded, First with forstner bits then a template and router to get the final shape. Same for the cover recess and string anchor cavity.

I figure the piezo will sound at least as good as the ones built into string saddles. Most of the tone will be in the pre-amp and EQing anyway. My daughter's been playing out more and more with her acoustic and it might be cool to have something more durable she can plug into a PA.

8. Lathem

Lathem Tele-Meister

Very cool guitar.

It took me a moment to figure out that the first set of pics were taken in a mirror; I thought at first that this was a lefty.

9. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Yeah that throws people. It's not a mirror though, for some reason the webcam on the Mac reverses the image and I can't figure out a way to flip it.

10. kerc

kerc Tele-Holic

Awesome build, and thanks for the knob tip!

11. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

If you're using Photobooth, go to "Edit" and check "auto flip new photos"

12. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Thanks man, that had been driving me nuts for ages!

13. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Very nice - I love the unusual woods, and bridge approach. Great tone on your slide playing, too!

How about a pic of the headstock - it's in the shadows a bit in the video!

14. cigarboxboy

cigarboxboy TDPRI Member

Great build and a great choice of woods (happy accidents are always the best!). Like the acoustic bridge, I have a floating one on my homebuilt P90 lap steel, works a treat, though I put in an aluminium saddle.

I want to do a P90 Esquireatype and was wondering how you had wired her up for tone, do you have any caps in there?

15. axmaker

axmaker Tele-Holic

sweat! daddy like, daddy like....[​IMG]

16. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

As far as the controls just a couple 250 pots and a .05 cap in the standard configuration. Been thinking about trying out a Vari-Tone from this guy though. http://www.bigdguitars.com/varitone.html

I didn't show pics of the headstock front because it is Tele-shaped and has my logo on it. I'm new here and didn't want to break any forum rules or piss off Fender. I made the guitar for myself, but I figured better safe than sorry.

17. cigarboxboy

cigarboxboy TDPRI Member

I am just in the process of building a varitone (hard to get stuff like you guys have over the pond and I'm not waiting, lol!). Going to put around 11...yes that's right 11...caps to explore the tone ranges from high to low. That's all part of the fun.

I have a little frankensquire that I put .033 cap in position 1, .001 in 2, no load in 3. very usable sounds, not so muddy (folks on this site really helped).

Check out Torres engineering, they have an interesting varitone kit, too...http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/torresengineering_2038_4157882

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.