1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P-90 and Nashville Style?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SbS, Sep 18, 2020.

1. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There's a voice in my head.. and now the guitar itself is starting to talk too. Those voices think my Tele missing the middle pup.

So instead of playing, learning and rehearsing, there could be an easier solution. Although more expensive.

Some of the voices are echoing about lack of P90. If and when I'm going to use this Squier / Partscaster as a test rig, until I'm ready for THE guitar.. ..should it be like reverse wound or something? Or does that matter at all? Or hum cancelling P-90? Do they share the soul of the real deal?

In the bridge I have a SD Little '59 Tele and in the neck DiMarzio 36th Anniversary. With all kinds of split/parallels. Went to the HBs because of hum at home environment and because they're cool too. Still liking, but using split / parallel / both together a lot nowadays too.

So looking for some nice sparky stuff.

CuNiFe Wide Ranges are whispering too, but they're too big. For this guitar.. although I'm not scared of grinding agathis, cutting plastic or soldering 5-way switches.

An my Tele is one heretic bastard already, so no boundaries. Even intellectual.

Appreciate all the experiences and knowledge.

2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Dude, get another guitar for P90s. Too much of a good thing sounds like doo-doo.

SbS likes this.
  3. SbS

Yeeaah.. I was like going to. That's the plan in the future. And now trying to explore / decide the nicest combos.

I'm not there yet. Financially or skill-wise. Thought this could be like a halfway reward for sucking so bad. :D

And.. may move the good stuff into the end product when it's time.

But you may be right, too much is too much. And I like this guitar too. Very much.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Sometimes you just have to give in and try things while damning the consequences.

I made a 3 p90 Strat because I thought it would be great having those 2 in parallel choices, but it turned out to be too much because the pickups are too close to one another in distance and output.

If you want something with some sparkle, Then a vintage spec Filtertron or a real vintage spec Firebird pickup might give you what your looking for.

SbS likes this.
  5. edkozek

edkozek TDPRI Member

I bet a p90 in neck and a Strat middle pup would killer. I have one like that, but with a minihumbucker in the neck and it is great.

SbS likes this.
  6. SbS

Been battling with this idea some time. And there should be a guitar with P-90s at some point. But when thinking and looking honestly, the 3rd one is too much for this one. It's finished now, a whole guitar.

So, decided because GAS is burning and there's a budget available, I start to build the next guitar. I don't know will it be a partscaster or custom made or whatever. But it's a Thinline, Deluxe or Custom type. With Wide Range neck humbucker. Clarity and botne together as far as I know. Or unicornal imagination, but I take the chance.

So, now they're available and ordered one. This project may take a year, two or five, but it started now.

Got to figure out P-90 guitar too. But may be a different story. And those will surely be available too later.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I was going to suggest you put the P90 in the current Tele, bias it close to the bridge plate so it's almost a bridge pickup but it will be thicker/meatier, use a push/pull tone pot so down you have the normal Tele, then 'up' you have just the P90 for an Esquire arrangement.

If you continue instead with leaving the current guitar alone and make a new build the other guitar should be an Esquire P90 setup.

SbS likes this.
  8. SbS

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. We'll see how it developes.

I normally keep my thoughts and ideas in my head for some time.. then when able to say it loud, it's already very close to decision time. And it happens fast. Like during this thread :D. Had both ideas maturing already..

P-90 is definitely something I'll try. Fortunately got a friend who has a vintage Jazz guitar with them, able to try hopefully. But yeah, separate guitar or a kind of combination. I think combos with other pups are rarer, but the way you described it could be doable.

More affordable side project perhaps.. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.