Owning a PR and DR (both vintage)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MXLBRY, Feb 28, 2020.

1. MXLBRY

MXLBRY Tele-Meister

I have the opportunity to add a vintage PR to my already amazing DR. Are they really that different or will I get bored owning both of the same thing? I know the PR has a bit more mids and has more lineage with a tweed amp due to phase inverter, etc.

I'm trying to use both for recording and would like the option of adding a little hair to a guitar track if desired. Does the PR sound good when overdriven? My DR is a clean, rhythm guitar machine. I love the grab and go of a PR, the DR second obviously. The DR can hang in any situation (the perfect amp), but I like the idea of also having a Princeton if needed.

Instead of a PR, should I aim for a tweed amp like a Gibson? Or funky EL84 British vibe like a Marshall or Magnatone?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Oahu or supro.

MXLBRY likes this.
  3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Ixnay on the Gibson.

Ya gotta throw your hands up and ask yourself,

"Why?!!"

Here's Arlen Roth with two Princeton Reverbs:

stevemc, Stubee and MXLBRY like this.
  4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I own Reissue versions of both amps so, take this with a grain of salt. Tonally mine are very similar, the PRRI is a little warmer without the bright channel, but there's lots of chime on tap. A speaker change can make a big difference in tone and headroom though. Princetons are used a great deal for recording from what I hear. They do break up beautifully without getting to the ear-splitting volume of the DR on 5, which is what some really like about it. Mine is dead quiet on idle too. And yes, it is definitely an easy carry.

MXLBRY likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

got this Peavey Classic Blues 50 with jensen c15n in it few weeks ago...seemed to have found that "sound" have 9 marshalls..4 Vintage fenders & vox ...the 4 el 84's with the MV & post & pre...the clean..the dirt..just there..put a Supro Drive pedal in it..scared to change my settings..lol...Tele/strat/Lp/SG..just woke my passion to ride the guitars knob & just play...the creative flood gates opened..i a/b'd with 65 Thunderbolt all restored & new Black Magick(awesome BTW) the PV just made it fun again. Loud..at whisper level..at practice..in the mix at studio(country-rock-jazz so far on it) so simple to me the ultimate grab n go 333 (2).jpg

stevemc and MXLBRY like this.
  6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

They sound pretty similar, generally. I prefer the sound of a cranked DR over the sound of a cranked PR, personally, but it is a fair bit louder. PR does sound great at lower volumes, where the DRs low-volume-good-sound threshold is probably a bit louder.

Right now I have a PR, a DR and a VR. Trying to sell the DR... or I am supposed to be.

MXLBRY likes this.
  7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Already had a 67 BFDR when I stumbled into a blackface Princeton Reverb without a logo on the grill cloth. That caught my eye because Leo didn't put logos on the cheap amps when the blackfaces came out. Certainly didn't need it but the price was $900 and only an idiot doesn't grab a 64 PR for PRRI money.
    My original idea of flipping it went right out the window. I'm actually thinking about dumping the BFDR due to non use.
    Yeah they're different! The PR sounds better at volumes I can use. DR needs to be cranked and at that point I'd rather just play a Super or Twin anyway. A Maverick helped in that regard but I still don't love that amp.
    But you never know maybe if I had two different examples I might feel differently about it?

MXLBRY likes this.
  8. MXLBRY

MXLBRY Tele-Meister

Nice! Yeah, I love the oomph of the 12" speaker and would never ever mod a PR to fit one. The amp just wasn't designed for one and I guess I haven't stumbled upon a solid example yet. This DR I have is probably one of the best I've ever heard, reminds me so much of a Super Reverb. I really do love a little hair on my tone (not full on metal shred, just a little edge). The DR needs to be loud as heck to give me that edge, the PR probably would not and I contemplate VOX amps all the time because of this.

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I own both. A PR is a great recording amp, and small gig amp. Any venue too big and it gets a bit ratty though. The PR doesn't take OD pedals as well, unless you desire nasty. It's a bit different than a DR, but still in the Fender BF tone range. To match the tone of a DR better, a PR needs the treble up a bit to 6.5-7 where the DR is on 5+.

MXLBRY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.