1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Owners of Brad Paisley Esquire...your input, please

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sloppychops, Jan 19, 2021.

1. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I've been looking into Esquires and the new Paisley model is a strong contender. Runner up is the 70th Anniversary. Tried 3 of those and all were great, but expensive. Haven't tried the Paisley yet.

-light weight (really light weight)
    -nitrocellulose finish (supposedly)
    -vintage style tuners
    -black sparkle paint
    -versatility of the Secret Agent
    -less $ than the 70th Anniversary

Dislikes
    -the forearm "relic" treatment
    -the cowboy hat on the headstock
    -plastic nut
    -no case

None of my dislikes are a deal killer, and the pros easily outweigh the cons.

Here's where I'd like your input as an owner...

Have you found anything that will minimize the bare wood look of that sanded down forearm area? I have some Fiebings black leather dye, but don't want to totally blacken it... just tone it down. Dye probably isn't the right thing.

Since the Secret Agent pickup is mounted so it contacts the underside of the pick guard and is a high output pickup, can you tap on the pick guard with your finger and get percussive sounds, similar to the Acoustasonic?

Have you been able to balance the output of the bridge and neck pickups by lowering the bridge pickup, and if so did you feel the "bite" of the bridge pickup was compromised? Also, does the tone control work on the bridge pickup, or does only the volume control work?)

I know purists don't consider this a real Esquire, but the only thing I see missing here is the "bassy" tone in the forward position. I like that sound for a pseudo jazz box sound, but it seems as though the Paisley can get it by rolling down the tone control. Not as easy as just flipping the pickup selector, though. Someone posted a schematic for a treble rolloff on the Secret Agent, so I guess that's a solution.

I've seen mint condition used ones going for around $1250, and I may be able to get 15% off a new one. That would take it down to $1190 for a new one, pre-tax. That could seal the deal for me.

Having owned yours for awhile, are you still liking it? Anything bug you about it?

And if you've changed out the paisley pick guard, post a pic of the new look.

Thanks!

2. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

While I can't respond about the Esquire, I owned a Brad Paisley Road Worn Telecaster. I liked it for the same reasons as your "pros". Only really two reasons I disliked enough to trade it back in.

1. Not a big fan of silver finishes. Now, if it was gold metal flake, I would have kept it; cowboy hat and all (I liked the cowboy hat).
    2. Sicky neck. The neck was really sticky and that made it gummy. At that time, the entire Road Worn series was having issues with the sticky/gummy necks. I could have used nafta and fixed it; but I was within my 45 return policy, so I brought it back and gotr something else.
    I'm honestly not big on signature models; but this one was pretty cool, I thought. Sometimes I still wish I had it; but I think that about most guitars I have traded or sold. What I did do, was remove the paisley pickguard and replaced it with a 3-ply parchment guard with no neck pickup mounting screw holes. Doing that actually made it less "signature" and more my own. Still wasn't worth keeping to me though.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Trogly just did an episode on this BP Esq. FWIW

4. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I am not a fan of artificially road worn guitars. That is a deal breaker for me.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've read about it and looked at the specs. I've got no fixed opinion about relicing in general, but the wear on both the BP Esquire and Telecaster looks bogus to me.

Other than the novelty of a hidden neck pickup, I don't understand the idea of a guitar that's an Esquire cosmetically, but with a neck pickup and modern, 3-way, Telecaster switching. Many of us build variations of the Esquire, but IMO this is a Telecaster.

jamester likes this.
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

All vintage Fenders had plastic nuts.
    The BP has a tusk nut (synthetic bone) that's much better than bone anyhow.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thats unfortunate that the neck on yours was sticky. The neck on mine was perfect. It felt very smooth and fast like a relic worn in neck with most of the finish worn off.

Butch Snyder likes this.
  8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The plastic nut was an easy fix. When I took it in for a setup I had it replaced with bone. The arm wear I didn't like it at first as it looked so clean and unnatural. I've been playing it for 6 months now and the arm wear is darkening (probably dirty) and doesn't seem so "in your face".
    The cowboy hat, well that was the thing I hated most and it kept me from getting this guitar for a long time even though I had played one and loved it. Finally I broke down (my wife actually bought it for my 60th birthday last July) and now I don't even think about the cowboy hat or notice it.
    I love the silver sparkle finish so much that I think the arm wear actually ruins what could have been a nice finish. But I never get too upset about the appearance of my guitars. I play them I don't really take that much pleasure from just looking at them. They're guitars not furniture.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The forearm “wear” is the only “con” on either of them...I’m not opposed to Road Worn guitars, but that wear looks very suspect to me.

I’ve been known to spontaneously don a cowboy hat, so that doesn’t bother me.

A plastic nut is easily replaced.

10. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Yep, saw it. And he already has it listed on Reverb.

11. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Does anyone have the black Esquire version with a black pick guard they put on?

12. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

13. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

It was a bad run of Road Worn necks. If I would have treated it with Nafta, it would have been fine. I just wasn't all that enamored by it. mainly the silver sparkle. I got tired of that pretty quick.

golfnut likes this.
  14. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Good luck to all of you who bought one.:D

15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I played the BP tele when it first came out and luved it, but had the same pros n cons as the OP.

I just put my own together with a super light Paulownia body.
    IMG_20200904_130617.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.