1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Own a CVC, Played a Japan 62 RI yesterday

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 1977CJ5, May 21, 2010.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I got a CVC 4 months ago, and as most of you know I love it.

Yesterday I walked into Music Go Round and they had a used red 62 RI (body binding) made in Japan Tele. It was priced at $799.00. I reluctantly pulled it off the wall, expecting the worst case scenerio... Loving the Japan model, and suddenly realizing that the CVC is not the guitar I've been raving about.

I walked out the door smiling, man I love my CVC!

Please don't take this post the wrong way, The Japan model is very very nice! I'm not trying to stir anything up.

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

There really isnt mich difference in these except the price. Both have alder bodies same switch the CVC has better pickups. If the CVC was $800 Id say just flip a coin but its price is so much lower its a no brainer.

3. wannapickone

wannapickone Tele-Holic

UUhh huhhhh.....:p

Attached Files:

4. Giacomo Pagani

Giacomo Pagani Tele-Meister

It's nice for you, but it just depends on the guitar, I guess.

I know it's not the same model, but I did a thorough A/B/A test ("A" being an American Standard natural ash, "B" being a CVC) and the American smashed the CVC badly.

I had tried the CVC two weeks earlier, and loved it. That day, in the same shop, I tried the Am.Std. I initially thought that she lacked twang, compared to what I remembered about the CVC. So I asked to have the CVC for a quick comparison; I suddenly shouted "Hey, this one has more twang, it's more lively, don't you hear?". My dealer answered that I was being mistaken, and suggested to try the American back again. So I grabbed it, and he was right; what I thought to be lively and twangy in the CVC was just a mere lack of low and high end, with the mids up front. Playing the American again just showed the trick; the American was really full and rich, with an extended frequency response. She was louder and punchier, simply she didn't appear to scream, because of the even frequency response and the deep sound.

I ended up ignoring both the CVC and the Am.Std. and ordering an AVRI'52, just to tell you how the story ended (and the AVRI'52 I received, lucky me, is a gorgeous specimen against which that AmStd can't even stand a chance, not to mention the CVC).

However, I really liked that CVC (at least, initially). I just wanted to grab a "definitive" guitar and I think I did my best to find my path.

The CVC is wonderful for its price, but be aware that you can't really compare what you are used to listen at home, with all the setup and comforts and stuff, to what you listen when trying something else at the shop. That MIJ instrument, however, could really be worse than the CVC (or, at least, be worse for you), but some serious test should be done, before saying for sure. And, from my experience, that would also be a fair exception.

My $.02 about circumstances.

Giacomo

5. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

If you read my post the only thing I stated was " I love my CVC". l also stated the Japan model was very nice. I made no comparisons.

I made no comments on pickups etc...

I've had numerous Teles including high end models. I've been playing for a long long time, 30+ YEARS. FYI, sometimes you can't just plug two guitars into the same amp and say one guitar is better than the other. My CVC is not as loud as some of my other Teles. Louder pickups does not always = better. Some lower output pickups have a much better sound once you tweak the amp. I play through a Rivera amp and after playing one of my other Teles through that amp, my CVC sounds kind of weak when I plug it in. However, after turning up the volume and tweaking the tone controls, it sounds really sweet. Again, I love my CVC.

6. Mark Davis

You cant compare a CV series guitar to a 52ri its not a fair comparison the 52ri costs 4 x's more.

Compare any CV series guitar to any other guitar in the under $400 price range.

7. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Happens a lot with these threads where people remark on how good the CV is for the money, and how they compare favourably with more expensive guitars.

People read ''CVs are better than more expensive guitars''.

Says something about people who buy expensive guitars I suppose!

8. 62Caster

62Caster Tele-Meister

Man, that pricing on the 62 is way too high..I bought my 62 RI at a Music Go Round for $300 about 6 years ago

9. Mark Davis

I think alot of people dont see the for the $$ part.

Here is the deal on the CV's all of them.

They arent the best guitars made in the world. They do have really good finish fit and fretwork which is as good or sometimes a bit better than more expensive models.

The CV's first showed up in July 2008 right about the same time the economy took a dive. They were only $300 new then.

Im so broke my rainbows are in black and white so to me these made alot of sense a good guitar for not alot of $$ I can sit around and play for fun in my apt.

I personally dont need anything better than this to just sit aronud and play on. If I had the most expensive CS Fender made sure I might sound a tad better but I wouldnt be having as much fun playing it as I do the CV's.

10. adamjn

adamjn TDPRI Member

I think its all in the eyes and ears of the beholder. If a Squier does it for you, great. If you need an MIA or Custom Shop, that's great too. One thing that I can offer to this discussion, as someone who's been playing for 30+ years, is that budget guitars have come a very long way. I've played both a CVC and a CV 50s Strat on gigs, and they sound great, feel great, and do the job. With the advances in technology today, guitars coming out of China and elsewhere are vastly better than some of the import stuff from 20 years ago. My bottom line is, it really isn't necessary to skip a mortgage payment to purchase a quality guitar these days.

My $0.02.

11. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

+1

A lot of people also just like the idea of buying American. I respect and understand the reasons for this and even though Im not even American there is a niggling feeling when I play my Mexican and CHinese teles that Im not playing the real thing.

When I let this feeling go and just concentrate on bare facts I realise that for me at least country of assembly means little, a tele is a tele. Although the 50's originals and many of the finest examples have been made in the US theres some great models that do justice to the telecaster moniker built around the world.

I think that was my coherent post ever, only took me 2,800 to get there..:lol:

12. Mark Davis

I couldnt agree more.

All Fenders are made on CNC machines so are the Squiers in fact most all solidbody factory made guitars are.

So the CNC machine that makes the CS Fenders regular production Fenders MIM's and Squiers are probably very similar maybe even all the exact same model.

So the rest comes down to fit finish hardware electronics and fretwork.

The CV's have excellent fit finish and fretwork ok electronics. The fretwork on both of mine is the best of all the 27 Fenders Ive owned. A good easy to play neck with good frets and a properly cut nut and intonated correctly makes a huge difference in playability.

I havent had to adjust anything on either of my CV's except when I went to 10's I gave the truss rod just a tug tighter cause on a 9.5 radius neck I can have a pretty straight neck without any buzz.

If you get one in an unopened box and your the first person to touch it after it left the factory chances are its gonna be setup so good you wont have to do anything. For a guitar in the $300 price range this just doesnt happen very often if ever.

Since July 2008 when the CV's first started showing up they have been the most talked about and purchased guitar by the members of this forum since Ive been here 1997 13 years ago.

That doesnt happen by accident we see new ones almost everyday!!

That has never happened with anyother model of Fender.

13. Giacomo Pagani

Giacomo Pagani Tele-Meister

I guess the part where I said "The CVC is wonderful for its price" got lost in the fog.

I have no interest in spoiling the undeniable CV's qualities, but it looks like you can't even reason about them without being bitten by fans. Don' exactly get why.

I'm happy for the OP if he tried a more expensive guitar and didn't feel the need to upgrade. More expensive doesn't automatically mean better quality, yes. Well, it's enchanting but it's just not what my (little) experience says so far. Geez.

Giacomo

14. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Ya, but you gotta remember the 'fans' get some backlash as well at times for stating their opinion on the quality of the CV line. It's a really, really simple issue for me. I have owned about 10 Teles at this point (MIJ, MIA, MIM, a few non-Fender). The CVC is the one I have kept. If I didn't feel it compared to those other Teles or exceeded them in some cases, I would not have been the only one I kept. So I personally don't feel a need to use the 'for the price' saying when it comes to my CVC.

I am not going to say anything is 'better' than anything else. I will only say when people ask, that there is not a thing I can find wrong with the CVC. And I can't say I haven't missed any of the other Teles I sold since I got it.

Just my personal experience on the matter. I just find it kind of funny at times in threads on forums when people tell other people the CVC's can't compare to a guitar that costs 2,3,4 times as much. If the person has owned or played the more expensive guitars though, and feels the CVC can stand their ground with them, how can they be 'wrong'?

There's also the simple fact that no matter what is said about these guitars, there are still people who won't even play them because they are Chinese made, or are a Squier. That's a personal choice, but that criteria shouldn't be used to judge the quality.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  15. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

cvc is the best guitar in the World

16. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

for a $349 Pine Body Guitar that looks good and plays real well !

17. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

no I forgot the period.

The Squier CVC is the best guitar ever made anywhere period. The end. :rolleyes:

18. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So which is it Mark, a great guitar regardless of price, or a great guitar for the price?
    :cool:

19. mrtoulouse

mrtoulouse Tele-Meister

Honestly I think that when I close my eyes my cvc sounds better than the 2 hw1's, the 3 american standards, the 4 mexico's and the 1 cs tele I've had(admitedtly this was a poor excuse for a cs that I snagged for a very low price simply to have a cs) . I really didn't want this to be true, but everyone in the band agrees that the best tone's I've ever yielded comes from the squier.. I am trying hard to give my cs les paul some play time, but though the tele has a different sound altogether, it simply feels and sounds better.

I have been around all the tele's I could find in my country to find the ultimate one, and so far it is the squier... I really do want an all white tele with maple board as this to me is the ultimate look, and though this is a bit lame, I would love the headstock to say fender .

So far though.. the cvc is the best sounding guitar I've had.

Here she is with the 56 lp looking sad due to lack of playtime:lol:
    [​IMG]

20. deepea

deepea Tele-Meister

"Let's not bicker over who killed who"....

Mrtoulouse brings up a good point. What if we ALL closed our eyes and were
    handed a Fender Tele and a CVC Tele. What would be the outcome????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.