Overwhelming urge to play the banjo, good beginner banjo?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Fretting out, Oct 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very different banjo than the one I had from Tommy. This is a Vega headstock...and the pot appears to be generic Vega-ish with probably a brass hoop tone-ring. These were available as kit banjos from StewMac. Maybe Marion built one up for him?

The one he left with me was a full Stewart, I think a "Special Thoroughbred" (IIRC). Is Tommy still around?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Behold.. the evil that is the Bajolele! image.jpg

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Made in the USA. Will last a lifetime.
    Some like them, some don’t; but every now and then, you may have to put a capo on and that’s what the little tiny spikes are for - the fifth string.

CFE5C56F-A3A5-410C-8929-9C86025450F2.jpeg 111713F5-B67C-4D92-BC40-6424A8560726.jpeg 95FAEE0A-2545-4980-B61F-4C320B187188.jpeg

trapdoor2 likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

He is. I thought it was a LW pot, if you brighten the image, you can see the tone ring? You can see "Kirk" on the dowel stick. There's a thread on BHO discussing the six strings that Kirk made, mentioning Sonny Osborne, and Tom Jackson. I think there's some video of Tom and Charlie Acuff from the 80's. I've got a VHS somewhere...

I've got a Vega guitar-banjo, with the larger LW pot, and its all original, tuners and all. I might compare them sometime, and see how "Vega" the six string pot is.

I sincerely hope this splinter thread was of use to the OP, lol. It was for me.

5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes, looks like a std Vega "Little Wonder" pot. The two-point shoes are also std for Vega. I have a couple LW pots stashed away in a box somewhere.

Yah, I hope the op gets something nice. If nothing else the take away here ought to be that most banjos are like Fender guitars. They are easily made into 'partscasters' where originality becomes a fog and it often takes a village (usually BHO) to tell what's what.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.