Overweight cat club

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by waparker4, Feb 4, 2015.

1. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

For the last 40 years my wife and I have had over 25 feline companions. All of them have had access to exactly the same food sources. Over that time half a dozen of them have ended up being significantly overweight. The others have maintained a 'normal' weight in the same environment. Very early on our vet told us that he thought if we wanted to drive ourselves crazy worrying about our cats' weight we were welcome to do so but that in his opinion fat cats more often than not lived as long and were as healthy as their thinner counterparts. After 40 years the results at my house have supported that vet's opinion.

2. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I've had cats since I talked the first one out of the bushes when I was two years old. My Mom taught me to say "Here Kitty Kitty. His name was Mr Big. I'm 68 now, so that's a loooong time with catz! Here's a pic of me and XiaoHu, which means Little Tiger in Mandarin.. I lost her a year ago, and still tear up thinking about her! Smartest, most affectionate kitty I ever had. If I was awake, she was never more than a couple feet away. Took naps on my shoulders!

Attached Files:

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That is an interesting observation. However, I can't help but think that much like any other animal, being obese is bad for kitty :lol:

[​IMG]

4. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

And here's Mao, Mandarin for "the animal that makes the mao(meow) sound." She's husky, but the vet says that for her build, broad across the beam, she's not fat. There are some great wet foods available, although they're more expensive. Cats didn't evolve eating dry food, and my vet encouraged me to get Mao to eat wet food. Worked 50%. She licks all the sauce off, and leaves the meat!

Attached Files:

5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

We do not discuss this lady's weight except when visiting the vet. Not polite, but, really, she's a cat, and probably doesn't care what we say about it.

Attached Files:

6. ghost_town

ghost_town TDPRI Member

fatmaxx.jpg This is my official hello, and my 20+ lb cat, Maxx.

7. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Awesome ghost_town! Welcome to the forum (& the fat cat club)...

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Looks like a handful! :D

Welcome to TDPRI!

9. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

The wife and I have two felines. One is a porker at 15+ lbs. The other is a rescued shelter cat weighing in at about six lbs.
    The bigger one is 15 years old and mainly eats and sleeps her days away. The little rescue cat on the other hand chases and kills ALL the vermin in our general area. She even has an exercise regimen that includes an occasional swim.

image-765868507.jpg

image-1999542379.jpg

image-1302048653.jpg

10. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

Here's our Tiggy. A Maine Coon and +20 lbs. He actually gets insulin daily. He was way bigger when we got him though

Attached Files:

11. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

My girlfriend has 2 cats (as well as 3 dogs and a horse!) and she is very strict with all her animals about what and how much they eat. She gives the cats and dogs only dry food, a little in the morning and a little at night, and they are healthy, not fat, and seem happy. Every one of them would eat themselves into obesity if she let them, so the human has to be in charge. The dogs do get the occasional doggie biscuit or chew as a treat when they've been good. The cats? They can supplement their food with all the mice they can catch - but with 2 cats in the house, there aren't many of those.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Our cat won't touch wet food or tuna or chicken or liver/guts or anything else except for cream, butter, and green olive brine (seriously) and dry food.

Mixture of a couple dry foods - including that urinary tract health stuff.

He drinks regularly enough - I hope. The rule is - if you look at his bowl, you change the water, so - he always has fresh water.

13. waparker4

That will be my new strategy. We would let the cats have a bowl full of food while we were away at work all day and they'd still complain and annoy until they got some more at night. It ended up being about 2x as much food as they needed, said the vet. An obvious spiral towards cathood obesity, but when you're trying to sleep, the cats will get their way... :D

14. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

My Slash:

[​IMG]

He's certainly big and getting bigger. I feed him a third of a can of wet in the morning and in the evening and a quarter cup of dry at night before going to bed. I tried cutting back a little based on a formula I found on the 'net but he wasn't happy with that. Lately I went back to the original distribution and have added another quarter cup of dry when I find him sitting next to the bowl all evening.

I change his water every night.

Carl

15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

As far as running water goes, our water dish plugs into the wall, and is more of a water feature than pet dish.

Ours is pretty fat and old, and was having joint troubles. That's because the other cats (now deceased) wouldn't meal-feed and wanted to graze, which meant keeping the dish filled so they wouldn't starve. This one ate herself fat.

So these days she gets wet food, but less. I think part of the problem was that while I'd go easy on the feedings, no one else would (with the dry food).

She's losing weight gradually.

But the deal is that when she's gone, we get at least a year with no pets. Finally.

16. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

My wife was taking a bubble bath one night, when our old black cat got REAL curios about the bubbles.

TOO CURIOUS!?

She slipped and fell into the bath tub............................................
    ........then shot STRAIGHT UP, like a missile leaving a Trident submarine!!

And ran out of the bathroom, leaving a trail of bubbles in her....er....'wake'.

Steve

17. waparker4

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.