1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overthinking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kbold, Apr 1, 2020.

1. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Some of my better moments happen when I don't overthink what I'm playing.
    Brain vs heart and soul I suppose.

uriah1 and fendrguitplayr like this.
  2. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I enjoy putting on a film,enable closed caption, and play guitar. There are times I am focused on the film and still playing. I hear but I'm not listening. Moments can go by without knowing what my fingers are doing. As I refocus I am still on the beat and flowing right along.

Munchie99 likes this.
  3. tconnelly

tconnelly TDPRI Member

Your subconcious mind goes into "the zone" as athletes call it. Those are magical moments. One of my most respected teachers would say "learn it until you can forget it"

kbold, StrangerNY and teletail like this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Agreed!

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I like those gigs, when the crowd badly want to dance and you've played your usual twenty-five up tempo numbers, already. You just want to keep surfing that wave but you only half-remember those songs- the right songs- you used to rely on but haven't performed, since 2015.

You're all on the ragged edge of memory, trying to recall just enough lyrics and phrasing to throw in another number. Then you do it again....and again.

If the stars are aligned and the beer is flowing freely- it might be the best show of the year. Or of your life.

That's why I do it. You just never know what will happen. :cool:

elihu and StrangerNY like this.
  6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah this exactly. Flow is the other name for it. The idea is you practice over and over until you no longer think about it consciously when you perform. When pro-athletes "choke" at critical moments, it's thought to be because the conscious mind is taking over instead of letting the subconscious perform the movements "automatically".

kbold and teletail like this.
  7. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

This helps sometimes a lot. It's almost like it gives instant inspiration, and a white noise that can help to just enjoy playing instead of being so focused on every detail... I get tunnel vision when I play sometimes and play familiar chords like a dumb beast... What has been helping me is I am slowly learning to play classical with Bach tablature. He is known for his melodies. I realize that using scales within chord patterns is what opens the tunnel vision up to ideas and more creativity.

I know a ton of chord voicings from jazz to funk... but using them requires a melody to inspire the changes I believe...

I understand the feeling... sometimes I just take a day or two off, and it helps me feel inspired again when I pick it back up... My problem is that I don't study or practice guitar enough, noodling around until I find a cool rhythm is great but I am realizing that there is so much to learn and open your mind up to...

The jazz was a dead end because I hate jazz to be blunt. But I have gathered a ton of cool chord shapes from my studies, so it was worth every bit of it. It also is helping me with my tab work on classical, because comping (slowly) taught me the numbers of the fretboard, and how to get up and down quickly... Hate to admit I never took much thought to tablature before, just watching videos or listening to figure out songs.

8. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

It's been my experience that there is exponentially more bad playing caused by under-thinking than over-thinking. For every person out there that knows a ton of theory but can't play musically there's about 10,000 people that don't know jack and can't play musically either. There is no Brain vs. Heart and Soul. You can use them all at the same time. ;-)

elihu and tfarny like this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Love it! OR, you can only really play amazing if you're an amazing player to begin with. Heart and Soul and a cool guitar and no practice gets you nowhere.

teletail likes this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There’s one proven way to eliminate overthinking while playing. PRACTICE, followed by MORE PRACTICE. Practice until you can play that number without thinking about it. Practice until when you make a mistake you can keep going without a hiccup. You won’t overthink what you don’t have to think about.

teletail likes this.
  11. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

This reminds me of what I heard once when I was in sales. Somebody said, if you practice your pitch once it sounds clumsy, if you practice it 10 times, it sounds rehearsed, if you practice it 100 times it sounds natural.

Knowledge never hinders your ability to play musically. Your own lack of knowledge about how to apply what you know is the problem. Ignorance is NEVER an advantage.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.