Overpriced, fair deal, or a bargain?

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My gig from last Saturday (the local loud guy) offered me a 2015/6 Les Paul Studio with Seth Lover p'ups & some aftermarket chrome hardware for $1000. Knowing the seller, I am confident it is in the very good condition he claims & the pic he showed me seems to back it up. My question is: is it a fair price point? Like you, I have not seen this axe in person, and I know nothing about used Gibsons. Any insight is appreciated.

Hank-Frost

TDPRI Member
You can easily buy a used Les Paul Studio for less, so it depends on how much you like his modifications. The only Studio I ever thought was worth buying were the Studio Lites from the '90s.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ya. 850 to 1200..so that is ballpark for a studio.
Hard to add any$ for nice Seth lovers
or hardware. imho

Buell

Tele-Meister
It's actually a pretty fair price. I've seen them in the $900-$1200 range. The only way to know for sure if it's right for you is to plug and play. Good luck.

OldPup

Tele-Holic
Anytime I want to truth check pricing, I head to Reverb.com and look for that exact piece of gear - same year, same color if I can. Look at what the guitars are actually selling for and back another $100 or so off to account for Reverb’s cut, taxes, and shipping.

Based on that quick search and knowing nothing about LP Studios, the price seems fair. I’d offer $950 but pay $1000 if the guitar suited me well. I see prices for Studios all over the place on my local CL. From $675 for a beat in player, up to $1100 for a “high performance” Studio - whatever that is.

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
Strikes me as ok, not a screaming deal. Depends on the finish, whether I like the "upgrades," how it looks, feels and sounds, is there a case, etc. But there are better deals on Studios out there.

kuch

Tele-Holic
It seems to be around market price these days. Is the Gibby case included?
I remember getting studios for $4-500 in good condition back when.... old guy talkin'...
I would check the local marketplace and see what's currently listed.
I would also ask if the original pickups and hardware was included in case you want to take it back to stock/original.

good luck

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
Good points raised above.
To me, it’s all about neck shape and feel. If it feels right in your hand, the asking price is not unreasonable. No bargain though if it feels off.

KC

Friend of Leo's
the other thing I'd consider is what kind of case comes with it. A lot of these Studios came with a gig bag, which to my mind is not a good idea with a Les Paul. An OK hardshell case will set you back another $100 or so, which you might want to figure into the price. I bought a Tribute a couple of years ago, NOS with a nice molded case, for $799 -- but I think I got a pretty good deal.