1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overdrives - what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chrismo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. JoaoM.

JoaoM. Tele-Meister

OMG I loved this one! :p
    What a power! The only problem is the price...:oops:

The blues pro seams to be the right pedal for me but I have to keep looking.
    (Sorry for invading your post. :p)

Thanks,
    JoaoM.

2. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

I've been debating on a Timmy - I'll look into that one as wel. So far I've dug that Blues Pro so we'll see what turns up with this one.

Weldfish - I'm trying to stay away from tube-powered pedals, but I appreciate the suggestion!

3. Twang King

Twang King Tele-Meister

4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Look no further than the SRB808+ from Effects Pedal Boutique. This is the most versatile OD I've ever come across. It is very similar to the Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive but at a fraction of the cost. 3 way clipping switch, fat boost switch, true bypass. It goes full range from clean boost to distortion. Amazing clarity, great dynamics. Socketed to experiment with op amps if you like. SO Much more than another 808 clone. Handmade with great quality and care and Dave is a great guy to deal with.

I'll never be without mine.

His ebay prices are usually better than direct from his web site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRB808-Overdriv...emQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2eaa3b2ebf

http://www.effectspedalboutique.com/product.sc?productId=8&categoryId=2

5. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

That drive has a lot of meat behind it! I like that!

So far I dig the Blues Pro, Mucho Boosto, and this one...can't wait to see any other suggestions!

6. JoaoM.

JoaoM. Tele-Meister

This pedal talks for its self.
    Very versatile, I think. :p

7. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

That's got a cool sound to it too - I like the boost they've implemented.

8. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Tele-Meister

You know what your problem is Chrismo, you're too damm picky! LOL!!! (Now I take the liberty to say something like that cause you and I have been on a tonequest for some time now and have agreed that we are our own worst enemy...)

As you know, I have a Barber 1/2 Gainer, i.e two Barber LTD's in one unit, in the mail to arrive this wekend. You have had an LTD before and given what you are looking for in the thread opener, the LTD is not it.

Are you looking to go with a single switch pedal or do you want to have a dual switch pedal to be able to switch the pedal from Stones to STP on the Fly? That decision will limit your search right off.

Sounds like the good folks here have thrown in some good choices. What about the Gearmanndude. He has a drive that he makes, but it is based on a vintage 808 chip.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLMRsKovbc

9. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Haha! The Lutherdrive. It's a cool pedal but a little too bread and butter for me, if you get what I'm saying. What I'm looking for is something classic but versatile enough. To me, a lot of the Tubescreamers and TS clones aren't really it for me - seems like it's the same thing over and over. I like the drive to have a little more bite for me - the TS and LTD I had didn't do that (that was more of a grind than a bite).

I'd like to give the clean boost a slight bite on the top end and be able to take that tone and thicken it up as I increase the drive on it. But I'd like to retain clarity in that drive.

10. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

Maybe the Way Huge Pork Loin? It has a nice clean boost that blends well with the overdrive, but I found the overdrive to be too mild for what I was looking for.
    I just went through a similar exercise but was limited by a guitar center gift certificate, or I would've looked into that blues pro!

11. schenkadere

Meaty or subtle...smooth and clear.

Here's mine with the options of cream chicken heads, metal LED holder, RC4559P op amp, 3 way fat boost. Luscious. Covers so much dirt ground it's ridiculous.
    [​IMG]
    I hit it with my SD-1 set as a boost if I want a little more oomph...wow! I'll never buy a distortion pedal...this does it all.

12. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

I tried that one and was unimpressed. The demos online sounded great, but when I finally got to play one, it was kinda "blah" to me.

13. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

I'm not exactly sure what chip I'd need - I assume the standard 808 chip?

14. JoaoM.

JoaoM. Tele-Meister

I'm like spamming reviews. :lol:
    This seams to have a great power, I love the boost:

I hope you like it. :rolleyes:

15. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

JoaoM. - the OCD is a great pedal, however I will not buy anything from Fulltone due to a few issues some friends of mine have had.

16. dbeeman

dbeeman TDPRI Member

Overdrive Req

Get a TIMMY pedal from Paul Cochrane . Very transparent and inexpensive

17. schenkadere

The significance of op amps is somewhat questionable. I chose the RC4559P because he claimed it to be more compressed and higher gain...that's what I was looking for.

He now offers a low noise version of the JRC4558...that looks interesting.

I tried the TL072 and RC4558 in mine. Both were fine...didn't notice a big difference between any of them.

18. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

It's probably a small adjustment in the amount of gain available. I'd like that low noise 808 chip...

19. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

A ProCo Rat is farirly inexpensive and has a pretty wide range of available gain. If you do the resistor-cut mod (extremely easy DIY), it behaves a little better at lower gain settings. Can't put my finger on the link right now, but I know it's been discussed in this forum before.

20. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

I liked the originals but I think it might be too much for what I'm looking for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.