Overdrive with and without reverb, very different

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Jul 28, 2021.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve been running my Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive as an always-on clean boost. Normally I’m using either the Boss RV-6 Reverb or the DM-2w Delay with it. Tried it dry the other day and noticed a pretty significant difference in the character of the sound. With Reverb and Delay off I’m getting a nice bluesy tone. So now with only two overdrive pedals on board I can get three different tones.
    1. Clean by using SD-1 with Reverb or Delay
    2. Bluesy overdrive, SD-1 dry
    3. Fat and fuzzy overdrive by stacking SD-1 with Hot Cake
    Anyone else notice a big difference when switching off the Reverb?

Rockdog likes this.
  2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I don’t like reverb with overdrive so the answer is yes.

codamedia, PCollen, jman72 and 3 others like this.
  3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I definitely notice a difference. I liken the dry overdrive signal to close miking an amp, which is naturally going to have a more present, in-your-face sound. Adding reverb gives the clipped signal more breathing room, for lack of a better term.

Slip Kid and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

That’s a good description for what I’m hearing.

5. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One should taste the food, not the spice, my grandma taught me. Effects are a lot like spice.

6. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

That was a sound that was largely prominent in 70's hard Rock. Think Deep Purple smoke on the water or Skynyrd's give me three steps . Paul Kosoff on "Free's " All Right now !" Lot of Marshalls I believe and correct me if I am wrong didn't have built in reverb . I have tried it like that myself using a Zoom G four that has three different Marshall models on it . One is a JTM 45 the other is a 59 Marshall and the other a JCM 800. I have tried using these without reverb of any kind and it is the sound you hear on multiple recordings . In fact I once heard Gary Rossington say that sound was by design of Skynyrd . Nothing to hide behind. I have had a love hate relationship with reverb it can color the sound so much that I can't stand it . Same thing with too much delay. I play a lot of classic country so I use it for that but there is something about that dry sound that really works.

Bluego1 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

All those "stunt reverbs" are fun to mess around with, though when playing through headphones all I need is a nice Room reverb to provide a sense of space and make it less stark. If I were using an amp live, or going direct to the PA, I'd use an always-on delay/echo set for about 400ms to complement the 'verb of the room I am playing in.

8. kookaburra

kookaburra Friend of Leo's

Yes. I notice the difference, and I'm not a fan of reverb and overdrive together.

As always, YMMV!

9. RetroTeleRod

My original post was more of an observation about how reverb pedals seem to change the tone of the overdrive pedals on my board. In one sense it’s like they may reduce the gain slightly to my ears at least. Amp reverb was not really what I was thinking about in case anyone was thinking that. For what is worth, I generally prefer my overdrive sounds dry.

10. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

If you run reverb in front of an amp, you will get a different interaction than built in reverb or effects loop reverb. That reverb tail is getting a drive signal and cause your amp to react differently because of the constant trailing signal. Not better or worse just different.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I like reverb when I'm playing clean/edge of breakup.

straight up overdrive or distortion gets too bogged down by reverb, and I prefer drive dry.

12. RetroTeleRod

This is my philosophy too.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have Reverb on all the time, whether my guitar is clean or dirty.
    I think it's just the older R&&R, blues and Country I play.
    My dirtiest tone is not too dirty, and I think everything I play sounds better, comes to life with a little Reverb

Edit- most of the time I'm getting a cleaner tone that always has some breakup or sizzle on it-

14. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Afflicted

I usually have at least a smidge of reverb. Not so much that it's super noticeable unless you turn it off, and suddenly it goes from a juicy medium-rare to effectively a charcoal briquette. There are times when I think turning it all the way off suits the occasion, but it's not often.

I do love me a good dose of extra reverb, but I'm definitely not in the ambient all the time crowd.

15. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

My approach is, if you can hear any effect it's to much, but if it's off, you can tell it. It's a fine line to balance.

bluesholyman and 8trackmind like this.
  16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I like overdrive with verb and or echo. I suspect what you may be hear are what the Boss buffers are doing to the sound. Wet dry solves these kinda problems and your overdrive always has a dry sound mixed in with the separate verb sound. I cannot use any of the buffers in my Boss ES-8 because they destroy everything that goes through them. I posted about this awhile back. I regret not going for the G3.
    Try running a parallel signal through the verb and A/B them.

17. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

That makes sense. I don’t use any reverb or delay pedals but my amp does have reverb. It’s not so much a buffer thing, just that delay and reverb sounds really different in front of an amp. It has to be dialed back a ton if your amp is breaking up.

18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I assume you discriminate between overdrive and distortion. So I might use delay with both, but only delay with distortion...never reverb.

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.