Overdrive troubleshooting

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WheresMyPick, Sep 19, 2020.

1. WheresMyPick

WheresMyPick TDPRI Member

Alright so I’m having a problem with my overdrive pedal(s). Namely a fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. The pedal sounds great at home through my hot rod deluxe. I love it. I play in the worship band at church and sometimes the worship leader requests an overdriven tone. So I hit my fulldrive and it sounds absolutely awful. There’s a significant drop in gain and it’s got a weird fizzy top end thing kinda like a cheap fuzz pedal and idk what could be the problem. I’m using a mxr mini iso brick at 18 volts. I am running into a direct box and straight into the sound board (I don’t like it but that’s how they want it). I’m not sure if running into the board is affecting it somehow, (my clean tone sounds alright). I’m not sure if there’s some kind of power issue going on. My reverb pedal (boss rv-6) doesn’t seem to be affected. I’ve tried another overdrive (boss sd-1) and had the same problem. Sorry for the long post but I really don’t know why the same guitar through the same pedal at the same settings would sound great in one place and terrible in another. It seems like it’s the pedal itself that’s having the problem but idk why. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Anytime you have to go straight to the board it sounds like doo-doo unless you have a secret weapon. 617Rm4nJvoL._AC_SX425_.jpg

uriah1 and Brett Valentine like this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Using the DI is your problem. If it doesn't have a cab filter in it, then any distortion/overdrive pedal is going to sound like that. You need to get a DI made for electric guitar, not acoustic, or something like the H&K Redbox, which is a dedicated cab filter made for going direct (or a similar device), or use an amp or multi-effect pedal with a good sounding line out, direct out, or headphone out. Also a lot of people have good luck using a Joyo American Sound, AC Tone, or British Sound as an amp sim for going direct, and they're only $40.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

There are some churches out there that consider onstage amps a sin worse than....well, name one. You need an amp sim pedal board of some kind that's designed to feed a hi-fi/PA system, even an old POD would do it although you can get far better than those. Any overdrive's harmonic content is going to be ragged & harsh when heard in it's full-fidelity glory. Sorry I can't recommend one because I consider amp-less electric guitar a sin worse than...well, name one.

5. Collin D Plonker

I often use the Mooer Radar (posted above) direct to the PA. It sounds great and has several amp models/cabinet sims. I highly recommend it.

Brett Valentine likes this.
  6. don_danapoint

don_danapoint TDPRI Member

Grab a Digitech CabDryVR It will make your direct sound glorious;)

https://www.digitech.com/other/CabDryVR.html.

I keep one in my gig bag in case my amp blows and I have to run direct.. I did a a sit in gig where I didn't have my amp but had my pedal board and the cabdryvr at the end of the chain into the Mixer/PA and damn I was surprised how good it sounded.

7. Sean Spears

Sean Spears TDPRI Member Vendor Member

You will probably need a cab sim of some sorts to get some of what you're losing back.

8. Collin D Plonker

The cool thing about the Radar is that it will let you choose which amp you use, which tubes you use in it, which microphone and all the other variables like distance from the speaker, eq, gain, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.