Overdrive pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by teza, Apr 8, 2013.

1. teza

teza TDPRI Member

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

OK, here is a rant, but I think I back it up pretty well (at least in my mind ;))

I have had this site bookmarked for years and basically decided that it just was not very useful.

You think it is going to be, but the same 'SRV licks' get to be mind numbing after a while, and let's face it, it seems like rather than show the differences between these OD's (many however, which are 'Tube Screamers' anyway) it seems like the emphasis is more on trying to get them to sound the same, which is what I'm hearing. FAIL! IMO If there is variety, you are not going to get it in this manner.

edit: plus there is just so much more to blues playing than Strat>TS>Amp playing SRV licks, it just gets tiring

3. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

Plus every one wants a "transparent od" that sounds like the natural amp breakup. It's called a boost, people.

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I remembered when I first accessed that link a few years back, and I concluded the same thing.

The basic concept is good, but the execution IMO is lousy, or just at least needs to be rethought out.

It just has the same shortcomings as an "overly professional YouTube video," in that what you hear simply isn't very valuable IMO.

And as much as I might try, nothing drives me away faster than demos with tired licks. You could throw in a part of a bar of Hendrix/SRV/Gilmour/Angus/EVH/<insert your guitar hero here>, but trying to ape the whole thing primarily around one guitarist or two just drives me off.

And as fun as single coil neck pickup -> OD with bass chopped off -> clean amp types of tones are, it's just such a small segment of what I want to play or have to play. I get disgusted in general with the number of OD demos that are strictly stuck on just a neck pickup setting for everything. Part of what makes a great OD such a thing is that it will work with a variety of pickup selections. So at a bare minimum, I like to hear all 3 toggle selections for a 2 pickup guitar. I don't need to hear all 5 for a Strat, but I imagine that others might want exactly that.

Getting a nice and meaty sound on a single coil bridge pickup that also retains all the nice nuances that you hear when played clean seems IMO to almost be the singular most important thing to demo with an OD pedal. There are many that tend to sound thin w/a Strat if it doesn't have a tone control for the bridge pickup, or what sounds rocking on the neck pickup sounds horrible on the bridge pickup IMO.

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

6. Chiogtr4x

^^ Two things that I think this 'demo' shows (whether consciously or not is another discussion! Ha!)

1) here is proof (or at least an indicator) that many TS/SD-1 OD's really do sound the same, so my 'editorial comment' is "Save your money, trying out 100 of these things (like I did!) and get the least expensive, but good quality/parts you can find..."

2) Too many folks just equate blues playing, and the tone that comes with it, with SRV. Once again my annoying editorial: " He was great, but please expand your palette to all that is out there in electric and acoustic blues and playing..."

7. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I've owned the majority on the OD list. Having owned them, I've concluded I sounded the same with few variations.

8. Chiogtr4x

If I haven't owned them, I have heard them live or demo-ed them. For me it was not a bad experience, just one that took time/$$ as it was like, (my thought process), "Oh, I have heard that Pedal X is very good, better try it!" and I just didn't know until I had tried many (over about 2 years time, at home and gigs), that so many sounded very similar. Don't regret it, it was fun. So it hits you that it really comes down to features/ergonomics/ switching/size/$$ you want to spend on the 'TS' and I basically made a final decision "I'm getting this one as it hits all the marks..." Then went on to get different kinds of dirt pedals (fuzz/distortion/cleaner boost,etc.)

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Not only that, but check out the players that he was inspired by, as well.

I find that I tend to like listening to the forefathers more than someone like SRV, who while I don't want to undermine his talent, still "re-intperpreted" things in a way that the listener really doesn't know what all was contained in the original performances/licks/techniques/etc.

I know these things can easily devolve into discussions of "no one did it like the pioneers," or "SRV destroyed what was great about the original pure blues," or whatever, and I want to be clear not to do that. I think it's possible to like stuff all along the continuum, just like folks love what the Stones did with blues that ultimately ended up not being the blues.

Even Hendrix wanted distance from cutting his teeth playing in his "former styles."

I love songs like Brilliant Corners, just as an example (and no - it's not blues). I can listen to everything from Monk's original performance right up to Vernon Reid/Masque's version on Known Unknown, but ne'er the twain shall meet IMO. But if someone thought that Reid came up with that song on his own, it's really a disservice to what they could be experiencing.

Just like many pedal designs borrow from prior ones, so it is with guitarists' elements of their playing style, right down to the countless hours they might have spent trying to get certain hooks and licks down cold. In the case of SRV, I ALWAYS think of the "Albert King bend, bend, keep bending, now bend some more" kind of thing.

The other issue with electric blues IMO is that if one restricts who they listen to, you can get a false sense of "median blues overdrive," because there is no such thing. I've heard from crispy clean to just ratty tattered stuff, and all points in between. And IMO, it's all relevant.

10. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Tele-Meister

In my experience, I've found that OD pedals really need to be tried out in person. You'll get different results depending entirely what amp and what guitar/pickups you're putting into it every time. More so than any other type of effect.

11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

It was close to thirty years ago when SRV first hit the airwaves. Some might argue that he is one of the forefathers.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Well, that case could be made if blues music was 30 years old... which its not. :lol:

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And Ricky Henderson was a forefather of baseball. :)

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

15. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Say what?...

16. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

^^^THIS^^^

17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

no RAT fail/

18. surfoverb

orly?
    [​IMG]

19. Chiogtr4x

^ I love Johnny Winter!- his acoustic slide blues and the harder rockin' style really got under my skin as a kid, long before I started playing guitar, or even knowing blues was blues...

His playing and production (along with Bob Margolin's playing) on Muddy Water's 'comeback album' Hard Again was just a huge influence for me on what Chicago Blues was/is, showcasing some great blues guitar styles....Just great live playing by every instrument on this record and the Muddy records that followed too, but Hard Again is definitely in my "Top 5" Blues Albums

20. surfoverb

he was great live. I saw him openup for george thourogood-he blew George away. aamzing show. Best blues Ive ever seen. SRV live otoh, yawn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.