Overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Cole LR, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Cole LR

Cole LR TDPRI Member

I’m looking for an not super expensive overdrive/distortion pedal that will do ambient stuff well. Maybe like some David Gilmour type tones or something? I was looking at the rat, but idk if I can get what I want from that. Also it would be preferable if the pedal had an expression jack.

2. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Afflicted

I've got a MoJo MoJo OD that was given to me.
    At first listen, I didn't care for it.
    Put it back on my board and it hasn't left since.
    It's not a great OD, but sounds good with either humbuckers or single coils without much adjustment.
    Less than $50 most places.

3. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Afflicted

Finding an inexpensive OD with an expression input will likely be pretty difficult. I don't know of many companies that do that, honestly. Aside from JHS, but then you're looking at $200 for a single pedal.

That being said, Rats are pretty well regarded around here and have a massive gain range, from basically a clean boost to fuzz. And the oft' despised filter knob makes the whole range useful. I don't think you could go wrong with a Rat for an ambient style.

4. Cole LR

Cole LR TDPRI Member

Ok thanks for the input, the rat is probably what I’ll end up going for

5. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

Mxr double double is my go to

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Gilmour used a Rat for his lead tones at one point.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking that if you're leaning toward ambient stuff, any overdrive pedal would work because the emphasis would be on delay and reverb.

David Gilmour used a lot of different types of overdrive pedals throughout the years, but I think his signature lead tone had more to do with a delay being on it.

El Tele Lobo and Bassetcaster like this.
  8. Bassetcaster

Bassetcaster TDPRI Member

An inexpensive and highly versatile option is the Electro-Harmonix Soul Food. It’s a klon clone for like $80 new. It won’t get as high gain as the Rat but still gets plenty dirty. I think it would work well for your ambient playing because it’s very responsive to your use of your guitar’s volume knob, which gives you a huge dynamic range. I literally never shut mine off.

9. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

RAT or Big Muff

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone's taste, ears, and rig, is different.

My advice is: make the time to go out and try them yourself. Only YOU know what you really like. :cool:

BB likes this.
  11. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I’ll throw one in the hat. The Boss OS2. It’s a great pedal that can be had cheap. It’s OD and Distortion in one pedal. I’ve had one for years and would never sell it. It’s stayed while boutique ones have hit the road.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The mid-heavy EQ and gain structure (Rat, Muff, etc) are just as important as the delay. Otherwise, you get Hank Marvin - which is awesome, but probably not what someone looking to play Pink Floyd solos wants to hear.

RetroTeleRod and nathanteal like this.
  13. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Neither of these have expression inputs but Fulltone OCD. Or for even cheaper Boss SD-1 (it doesn't do "distortion" but it can get pretty dirty with the gain cranked)

14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Some of David Gilmour's lead tones have a vaguely fuzz sound to them that a Rat can definitely achieve.

I really like the OCD as well. Like the Rat, it's got a wide range of gain from cleanish boost to distortion.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

David Gilmour used a lot of Fuzz, Big Muff, etc.. on a lot of those tones, but he used so much stuff it's hard to say cause he was always changing it up.

One of the keys to that sound is there's quite a bit of reverb & delay going on.

The reverb & delay soften the fuzz which might make you think it's overdrive when it's actually fuzz.

The gilmourish.com site has tons of information on what he was doing.

A lot of the sounds you think are overdrive are actually fuzz + reverb + delay + compressor and they're not using a scoopy fender amp.. you're looking for an amp with strong clean mids.

16. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

If you like Marshall-esque tones:

Can be had for $40 or less these days. Powerful EQ controls (you can dial in lots of mids).
    Disclaimer: I tend toward low gain and a highly scooped sound -- so I may be way off base here..). Very flexible too -- can be run straight into the amp input, substitute in place of amp preamp, you can even plug headphones into the output side (depending on impedance of headphones [<= 24 ohms]) and use it as a portable/personal practice amp (but you'll have to adjust controls accordingly).

I'd combine the above with an analog delay as well. There are many good ones available for decent prices as to not break the bank. You can use the delay as a reverb or even, err.., as a delay.

17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The more I think about this the more you should just stick to the whole fuzz + reverb + delay thing, don't go thinking an OD is going to do what you want here.

David Gilmour didn't even use Marshalls, no need to go find a Marshall preamp pedal.

Also keep in mind almost all those classic sounds you think of, those records came out:
    - Before the TS was invented
    - Before the Klon was invented
    - Before the Blues Breaker OD circuit was invented

They're not the path you want, OD wasn't even on the radar when Pink Floyd was putting out that music.

The other one mentioned over and over that I didn't mention is the coloursound boost, they know he used those.

18. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Cole, what are you using for an amp?

Did you finish your project in the other thread? ..Was curious.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Digitech Bad Monkey - don't let the name fool ya!

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd use a Blue Driver or a Morning Glory/BB clone, but not really that cheap.

The Rat is always fun, but it's tweaky to dial in as an O., I just use it to trash up the delays and reverbs, or anything, as it's last in the signal chain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.