1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overdrive Pedal Recommendations for Worship

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by ScottLeon, Aug 13, 2014.

1. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Check out the EM-DRIVE made by emerson custom electornics.
    150 bucks

it's a transparent overdrive so you hear your tone through your amp but it adds some meat and potatoes to your tone making it easier to cut through the mix of the band.

it reacts like an amp too light pick for clean, dig into the guitar to get more gain.

2. ScottLeon

ScottLeon TDPRI Member

Well, I did it, a pulled the trigger on an OD pedal. I found a Joyo Sweet Baby on Ebay for less than $25 new (open box) with free shipping, so I went for it. I had read & saw some good things about this pedal, especially a YouTube review by German Henning Pauly ().

It arrived today, so I hooked it up to the Cabronita & let her rip! :D I'm running it through the VHT Special 6 & found it has some good tone to my novice ears. It does have a pretty strong volume boost, even when you turn the volume knob down; need to spend some time trying to match the pedal volume knob to my guitar volume to try to eliminate some of that boost.

I play mainly chords, which Pauly points out is a strength of this pedal, but I didn't notice too much drawback to using it for single notes as well. It meets my needs, especially the $$ need!

Here's the new pedal with its co-workers:
    pedals.jpg
    Right to left: Snark tuner, Sweet Baby, Ibanez DE7 (a loaner) (the board is homemade; you might notice the holes, trying to follow the Holeyboard model).

What I'm playing into:
    VHTamp.jpg .

And what I'm playing:
    cabronita.jpg
    2011 "Telebration" Cabronita.

Thanks for all your help & advice!

3. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Again, that DE7 is a fantastic delay. It was my first delay and I wish I'd have held on to it...

4. TeleFool75

TeleFool75 Tele-Meister

I'm so wanting to give a Joyo a try especially the SHO clone cause I hear nothing but good things. But I'm just afraid the Joyo's don't have a long shelf life with the quality of the construction.

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Scott,

Nice find! The Joyo sounds great in the clip you posted.

How do you like the VHT? Our Youth Pastor is changing up some of his gear and is looking for an affordable amp. I told him about the Special 6, but haven't played one before. He is having a hard time considering anything but a Vox. I'm trying to broaden his horizons, because there are so many better amps out there. Just curious what you think of yours.

6. DannyStereo

Not a Vox fan I take it?

I would definitely enjoy a special 6 right now though

7. CapnCrunch

Don't want to de-rail this thread, but I'm not a fan of the modern Vox stuff at all. At one time I had an original early 60's AC 30 which was a great amp (don't have it anymore). I've got a 65 Amps London which has a modified AC 15 on one side and a Marshall 18 watt on the other. I use either the Vox or the Marshall side depending on what I'm doing, but find the Marshall better for most things. I've got a Trainwreck Rocket clone which I built, and it is far and away the best AC 30 or AC 30 variant I've ever played or heard.

Anyway, I'm interested in the Special 6 because they are hand wired and they are very simple to mod. According to what I've read, upgrading a few components, and some swaps, makes the Special 6 a killer little amp. The Asian Vox stuff doesn't sound much like the originals(unfortunately not in a good way, at least IMO), and there is very little one can do to easily change that.

8. ScottLeon

ScottLeon TDPRI Member

I'm still working out the VHT. I like the tone, but understand I have a very untrained ear & haven't tried my Cab through any other amps, except a solid state. Boltneck recommended letting the speaker break in, & Tele-beeb stated that he sees it as a "character" amp that let's character pedals shine through; I'm looking forward to both! VHT makes an adapter for EL84's, so there's the chance to try to approach the Vox sound, but haven't seen anyone online who has taken that avenue. There are some good review videos out there, so have him take a listen.

Regarding the built quality on the Joyo, I had read some concerns about that online, so it was in my mind. Now I'm not going to be stomping on this thing 50 times a night while on an extended tour, but it seems pretty solid in my hands. It feels lighter than the DE7 but the case doesn't feel cheap or thin. The switch is very solid & you really have to push to engage it; the Snark takes about 1/2 the effort as the Joyo. The knobs are pretty high quality IMO.

The drawback in all of this adventure is not being able to test out what I purchased before buying & having to rely on others' opinion & YouTube. From the point of trying other pedals & amps, most everything around the town I live in is fairly standard (BIG generalization): Fender, Boss, or lower-end; to try non-standard, let alone boutique, is a 1/2 hour drive away -- even GC is an hour drive.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  9. CapnCrunch

One common misconception is that EL84's have a particular sound (often associated with Vox amps, and often called "chime" also known as congested upper midrange). Believe it or not el84's were actually used in some hi-fi amplifiers back in the 50's and 60's. The choice of coupling caps and tone caps in combinations common to British voiced guitar amps (also using el84's) are largely responsible for this tone and the EL84's just happen to inhabit the same amp. Hi fi amps using el84's sound nothing like a Vox, but they're voiced to be neutral unlike the way Vox amps are voiced.

I've watched several youtube clips of the Special 6 and it intrigues me. I think I will pick one up to play with when I spot one on Craigslist. I've heard them described as somewhat similar to an early 60's Princeton. If they are, that would cool, because the old Princetons are one of the coolest amps ever made, especially with a little tweaking.

10. DannyStereo

I still stand by the Timmy as one of the best ODs out there. I like my GFS greenie a lot too (TS derivative)

I play Asian Voxes, and those two (alone or stacked) plus my EP booster and fat boost get me anywhere I need to go.

11. tjlincoln

tjlincoln TDPRI Member

Timmy and JHS

Definitely check out the Timmy and JHS. I keep my Timmy on all the time. Great for driving a tele or strat to push at same level as my PRSs. Use my amp for heavier drive and a JHS OD pedal for classic blues tones.

12. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

3dpt or 3pdt whichever one it is, sells a pretty affordable klon centaur clone that sounds absolutely amazing! Byoc just came out with their own klon clone too, the demos are awesome. The klon is a great light drive pedal. It will push a driven amp into crazy territory or it can be used as a mild dirt or clean boost. I have the 3dpt clone that j got second hand. It's almost the only overdrive I use.

You also can't go wrong with a ts9 or a ts808.

13. eunit79

eunit79 TDPRI Member

+1 to boss sd-1. Good pedal for the money. I have used with my special 6 as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.