overdrive or boost with big low end.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by russpurdy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Hey everyone. I play in a blues rock duo (kind of a wannabe Black Keys kind of thing) and because of that I need to have a MASSIVE tone. I have several fuzzboxes (big muff, silicon fuzz face, just ordered a swollen pickle) and they give me a great low end boost but none of them do really low gain very well. I have a few overdrive pedals (homebuilt tubescreamer and a boss super overdrive) and they do low gain well but don't have the big, fat bottom end that my fuzz pedals have. Does anyone know of an overdrive or boost that bumps up the low end like a big muff or fuzz face but does low gain or even just signal boost? I would like to keep it in the lower end of the $150 range but if it's really worth it, I would go higher. Thanks for your suggestions!

2. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

MI Audio Blues Pro is the solution!

3. linn-art

linn-art TDPRI Member

I would recommend a MI Audio Tube Zone. A really versitale overdrive with lots of low end.

4. Noodler

Noodler Tele-Meister

Yes, and not overly expensive either.

If I was only going to buy one overdrive, it'd be the MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe. They didn't have one at the shop when I was buying so I went for the Blues Pro instead. It's quite solid sounding. A bit Tube-screamer, a bit BD-2.

The MI Audio Tube Zone is huge and tough-sounding. Well worth a try. There'll be one MI Audio pedal you'll like for sure.

5. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

The Award Session JD10 (also sold as the Morley JD10 for a while) is very good at low gain sounds, and has a 3-band EQ that can add TONS of bass; I've never had another OD pedal that could add as much fatness, heck, you could make a Strat bridge PU sound as fat as a Les Paul neck PU with that thing...

However, my all-time favorite OD for low gain tones is the Barber LTD - nothing does the OD sounds at the transition from clean to dirty as well as the LTD; it has an internal trim-pot for bass, and can get quite a bit fatter than a Tubescreamer (but probably won't go into Big Muff territory).

Another pedals that is GREAT as a clean booster, and also good as an OD in the lower gain range, and has a very effective 2-band EQ that can add a lot of fatness, is the (discontinued - look on Ebay for NOS ones) Zoom PowerDriver PD01; some people have called it a "poor man's Klon" - well, I never had a chance to try a Klon Centaur myself, but the PD01 is my favorite of all teh boosters I ever did try, and its fatness is one of the reasons why.

For a really inexpensive alternative that is somewhere in Tubescreamer/SD-1 territory sound-wise, but has much more bass on tap, try the Digitech Bad Moneky!

6. Twang King

Twang King Tele-Meister

bad monkey

7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Analogman King of Tone. BIG FAT BOOST!

Or, for about $78 you can use a Boss GE7 EQ pedal that lets you dial in the exact amoung of fatness you want and the exact amount of boost you want.

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Nobels ODR-1 has the most low end out of any (of the dozens) of overdrives I've tried. If you're looking for that blues-rock Bonamassa massive thickness, the ODR-1 will get you there. And it's an OD, but does low gain very well. I currently have one beside a Timmy and an FD2, and while the Timmy is also good at pumping out low end, it can get a little flubby... the ODR-1 is every bit as good as the boutiques, has a massive TIGHT low end, and is only $56 new at Adirondack Guitars.

Alot of people simply won't believe a $56 mass-produced pedal could ever sound as good as a $200 boutique. They are wrong. The ODR-1 is one of the best ODs I've ever used and it's ESPECIALLY great with TELEs.

9. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Boss od3

10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

SRB808+...3 clipping modes and a 3 way fat boost. Outstanding pedal. True boutique for around 100 bucks. Great build, great service.

11. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

For cheap, try a Danlectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Cheap, effective, and has treble and bass knobs.

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster has a 3-way switch that lowers the resonant frequency of the pickups and 6-25 db of boost. Works pretty well to fatten up a tele or strat.

13. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Yes, and I'll mention the Fulltone Fat Boost. Fatten up the Tele or Strat or whatever tone (but esp Fender single coil) with the booster, then stomp up some fuzz or OD after the boost. Booster keep it on>lower gain setting OD, on or off>higher gain fuzz, OD, distortion, on or off. Something like that.

I don't see how you duo players do without a bassist! I'm a huge fan of Dan and Patrick!

14. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

Marshall Jackhammer!

I used to have one on my board for this exact same purpose. Dialed the gain way back, and used it as a super fat boost. Tons of low end, but not flubby at all - contour and frequency knobs let you control upper and lower mids separately.

You can get a used Jackhammer for ~$50, try it, you may be pleasantly surprised!

15. cletus

cletus Tele-Holic

Lots of good choices. Especially the ODR1.

One of my all time favorite boosts with eq options is the AC booster from Xotic. Fatter than a butchers dog.

cletus

16. Jenix

Jenix Tele-Holic

know the marshall jackhammer was mentioned but I'd like to ad my marshall governor does a great job with low end, its why I keep it around. That deep knob can get it low and growly.

Love the black keys by the way

17. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Screw the pedals...

First off listen to some RL Burnside, no bass player there, and that's the real stuff, where groups like the Black Keys stole their ideas from.

Next, practice using Open tunings, using your thumb for a constant bass and playing with a slide, into a ratty sounding old tube amp.

Lastly, find a drummer that can play a huge fat sounding double shuffle, and one that has a 26" bass drum and a huge old snare.

There is a band in my area that does exactly this, and they are incredible. Matt Woods and the Thunderbolts. Sometimes they play as a duo, other times, they play as a trio. They know that old hill country and Delta style as good as anyone.

18. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I had a Fulltone OCD Version 3 that gave my Strats and Teles a significant bass boost. I don't know if Version 4 does this, though.

19. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

That "deep" knob hands-down wins the official Ben Harmless "Holy Crap That's Way Too Much Low End" award. I love that pedal, but I kept that knob pretty much at zero and ignored it.

But yeah, it can make you sound like a blue whale with a weight problem.

20. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, someone suggested open tunings and thats what we've been moving into now, open E just makes me wanna play slide all night! I checked out a few of the MI audio pedals on youtube and liked the blues pro but LOVED the videos of the GI Fuzz and NEO Fuzz. I'm a huge fuzz face fan and it seems like these are similar to a fuzz face (hard to find a company that builds a good, fuzz face clone that has some new tonal options, everyone wants versions of a big muff it seems.) It looks like they can do fairly decent low gain as well so I'll be in the market for one of these soon. I also am going to check out the marshall pedals and I think general guitar gadgets has a few marshall pedal clone kits I might look into, thanks for the info guys and gals!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.