Overdrive GAS

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
+1 for the Protein, if I only had one that would probably be it. I can't imagine the nightmarish helloscape of only owning 1 OD pedal. But that's one that checks the boxes.

I do binge on a lot of amp in box clones, especially tube based pedals like Kingsley and Sushi Box and a few others. They help me get the sound I want when I can't dime my big rig. But all things equal the Protein is fantastic.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Overdrive GAS can be never-ending for a lot of us. For those of you who are lucky enough to end your search, which pedal did it?
For me it has been a two-tiered quest:

The first...
( really solved over 20 years ago, even though I tried for years after, trying to see if there 'is something better?'- there isn't!)

.... was the discovery of the Boss Blues Driver- I heard someone at a local gig playing one it 1997- it has just the right breakup for the R&R, and blues stuff I play. I bought one the next week...

The 2nd tier,
and this is for me just an occasional need
-when I want something that gives me more distortion and sustain for when I do delve into harder rockin' stuff (which for me would be '70's hard rock, as example)

The answer ( as my Blues Driver is always ON at 1/3-1/2 Gain) is a RAT!
I'm just using a Biyang clone Rat- great range on knobs
So, simple:
Blues Driver with or w/o 'fake Rat!'

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220419-182534_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-182534_Photos.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 4

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have 3. 1 for boost, 1 basic grit, 1 brilliant lead
THink my recent gain changer is great.
others
Analogman 1982 TS9 w/mod
Analogman OD808 w/mod

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I stopped buying dirt boxes when I realized that an SD1 and OD3 are the ones that typically end up on my board for live gigs when I'm going into a clean tube amp for my clean sound and getting my dirt from pedals.

Sometimes I sub in an MI Audio Crunchbox for the OD3. But IMO Boss is very smart about making pedals that work great with a wide
variety of guitars and amps. Tube amps, anyway.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
The last pedal. That's when I decided for me it really didn't make much difference. Maybe also the Dr Z ZWreck Jr. alleviated some of the pedal GAS.

ShortintheSleeve

Tele-Meister
Overdrive GAS can be never-ending for a lot of us. For those of you who are lucky enough to end your search, which pedal did it?
Wampler Tumnus. It's been my mainstay OD since I bought it a few years ago. I know a lot of players like Klon-style pedals as boosts, but I use the Tumnus as my stock and trade medium-gain OD sound, running it into AC15 normal channel that's on edge of breakup.

I have, however, experimented with other drives to use for boost/low-gain as well as some amp-in-a-box pedals. The Greer Tomahawk has filled that first role for me lately. Although it can provide some collapsing Tweed-level gain, I set it with just a touch of drive. It thickens up my "clean sound" in a pleasing way. I've dabbled with three different Marshall-in-a-box pedals--Wampler PlexiDrive (original), Catalinbread DLS, and Ramble FX Marvel Drive. Of the three, the DLS sounded best with my rig. But every MIAB pedal I've used has ultimately just had me reaching again for a RAT. I know the RAT isn't the same tone, but it works beautifully with my amp. My JHS PackRat stays on the White Face mode.

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
I confess I have the sickness.
If I had to go back to basics, I'd just go BD2 > ODR1. BD2 make a great low gain/always on into a clean amp, and the ODR1 is my kinda med gain sound, much better than a TS or Klone type... for me. Plus The BD2 gooses the Nobles nicely and works as a boost if you put it in front and use em together.

I got myself a Protein and its great, but I really wish I could swap the order. Then it would be just a better version of my trusty BD2>ODR1 setup. I generally prefer stacking ODs from lower to higher gain.

Lately Ive discovered Fuzz Faces, and actually that really all I need 90% of the time, lol. Love em!
But that hasn't stopped the GAS.
I have a Special Cranker on the way. I think its gonna pair well with the FF.

I have a decent Strat and a good parts Tele I built, but lately Ive been playing the SG mostly. Main amp is a Carr Rambler.

Last edited: