Overdrive GAS

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
Never over, however, my Browne Protein Drive is good enough for anything I need and will be for the foreseeable future.

Here's a list of amps and guitars I've used/heard it with , with GREAT results.

Matchless Lightning
Swart STR 1x12
Fender High Power Tweed Twin
Fender Twin Reverb blackface reissue
Soultone 18 watt Marshall clone

Telecaster
Jaguar
Flying V
Knaggs
PRS
Collings

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I can get by with minimal dirt pedals. I have maybe 5 ODs a couple of boosts, one distortion pedal, a couple of fuzz pedals.

Between different amps and a mix of those pedals I can get a very wide range of dirt. Wide enough for my needs anyway.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
For those of you who are lucky enough to end your search, which pedal did it?

Oh if only 1 pedal could do it...but, if I had to pick one, it would be my Menatone Red Snapper - there is just something special about what it does with every amp I have tried it on.

Supporting Cast:

JRAD Blue Note (v1) - for fattening things up when needed.
ODR-1 - full range crunch, tele bridge especially (sometimes swapped with OCD v1.6)
Xotic Soul Driven - slightly more compressed and lows than the Snapper, but very versatile.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Various Klon clones. Currently have a Tumnus. I want to buy a real one from Bill one day though.

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
My most recent overdrive adds are a Wampler Plexi Drive, a Wampler Tumnus, and a Nobels ODR-1 BC. While they each do a little something that the others don’t do, I don’t think that I like any of them better than the Danelectro The Breakdown I already had.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
Lately I am fond of the zendrive and ODR-1 (w/bass pot mod) for conventional OD pedals, and a cranked fuzz face with guitar volume on about 7 which is surprisingly good for overdrive.

tonfarbe

Tele-Afflicted
I haven’t looked for any other overdrive since I put the VS Audio Blackbird on my pedalboard.
I want an overdrive to do what its name says: overdrive (not distort) the guitar signal without adding a layer of EQ characteristics on top.

The Blackbird and a Timmy clone cover my needs for overdriven sounds.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have a couple of Klon clones and dig em but recently I landed a smokin' hot deal on a germanium fuzzface, the big one, and WOW that thing really rocks it! It's probably my most favorite pedal, and not sure how I'd top it honestly. I've got a Fulltone 69 and 70 that I also love but still, that fuzzface just nails the Hendrix sound I'm looking for. When I run it with my Vox wah I can almost hear Jimi say "That's right man... now, just learn how to play" LOL!! ;)

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm not big on overdrive pedals. I have a Danelectro, which is as good as any solid state overdrive I've tried. A Tubescreamer clone, because Tubescreamer more than anything else ( meh ) A Behringer VT999 ( very good indeed ), but what sealed the deal for me was building a Valv-E-Tiser.
The Valv-E-Tiser uses internal ju-ju to boost the 9V to levels that tickle, moving the valve firmly out of starved plate operation. It sounds fantastic.

Now fuzz pedals, that's a whole other level of GAS

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
At the moment Boss BD-2, SD-1 and TC Spark is basically everything I need and can get all the tones that I want from.
Occasionally I add a fuzzface (Mxr 108 or Analogman BC183) for fat fuzzy solos or Boss DS-2 if I need a distortion sound.

hotcoffeenochill

Tele-Meister
Running a Snouse Black Box 2 in to a Rimrock Mythical. It's rock & roll, man.

That said, I picked up the MXR Fat Sugar from the Musician's Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" this week and it's pretty darn close to what the Rimrock does for half the price. Will likely take it to gigs instead of the Rimrock.

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
Overdrive GAS can be never-ending for a lot of us. For those of you who are lucky enough to end your search, which pedal did it?
For me, there’s really no search in the sense that such a thing as an ultimate pedal exists that would somehow cure me from wanting something else. People frequently suggest that those of us with many overdrives are constantly searching for our “tone”. That simply not true for me. If I had to settle on one tone, I was done 3 years ago with a $30 Suhr Riot clone by Donner. Nah, I like variety and I have plenty of time in retirement to indulge that. Anyhoo, recently added these simulations of the Revv G2 and G3 pedals (which themselves are emulations of the green and purple channels of the Revv amps). A really impressive variety of tones in these, running basically the whole gamut. Also great as preamps, straight to the effects loop.
MBy3ShR.jpg