Overdrive for clean backline amps?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by igor5, Nov 24, 2019.

1. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

definitely not. you want a distortion pedal... not an overdrive

there's so many good amp in the box pedals in that crunch box family. the suhr riot... the joyo us dream... the jhs angry charlie...

there's a ton of jcm 800 copycats too. the wampler plexi... lovepedal purple plexi...

and as others have mentioned, a proco rat can get you in that territory too

beyer160 likes this.
  2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Also I like to have a compressor with a blend knob in my back pocket Incase I’m playing an amp I’m unfamiliar with. I’m familiar with my tweed deluxe and if I had to plug into something powerful like a twin or deville I would want my compressor because I would never get the volume loud enough for it to naturally add some compression and feel like a hotter amp under my fingers.

rze99 and igor5 like this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

If I only had two, probably my hoof and tube screamer. Covers a lot of ground, sounding great all the way.

4. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I agree. The 805 has replaced my BYOC Overdrive, TS7, TS5, and TS808. It just does that kind of sound a lot better.

GFrank likes this.
  5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Rat.
    Overdrive/Distortion and Fuzz all in one!

6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Yeah, Rat.

As well as being my tongue in cheek default answer to any and all pedal questions, they are also great. I’m always impressed by how nice mine sounds dialled back into the OD range.

Pax/
    Dean

RetroTeleRod and 4pickupguy like this.
  7. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Mojo Hand Rook is my favorite for this application.

Very versatile, can basically be a distortion, TS type, or full range boost. They make double pedals if you want to stack.

8. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

Yes, and the EQ controls are so powerful and useful that you can get tones way beyond what a Tube Screamer can do. I dial the treble up to 3:00, roll back the mids to 9:00, and it approaches transparent, but it still has that cool compression thing that Tube Screamers do. I use it mainly to stack it into my Tim, but if I had to choose only one pedal to gig with, it would be the 805. Very versatile pedal.

Mincer likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for RAT or MI Audio Crunchbox. Truetone Jekyll/Hyde also gives huge range of possibilities.

10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

This is exactly why I have a CS-2 on my board. No blend, but it's the best fairly transparent compressor I've ever used. I haven't checked prices recently, but they were always fairly reasonable. No one makes a clone of it because the VCA chip used in the circuit is unobtainium now.

57fenderstrat likes this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It sounds like you want two things- a booster to push tube amps into OD, and a dirt box for making SS amps sound like pushed tube amps. A TS will definitely not do the latter.

I'd look at the Catalinbread amp sim pedals- the DLS has a 3-band EQ which gives you flexibility, which is good if you're gonna be playing lots of different backline stuff. You can't go far wrong with a Rat, either.

igor5 likes this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Barber Gain Changer -- it covers everything from boost to gain (and lots on tap if you need it). What Barber needs to do is merge two of these into a dual footswitch box and it would give KOT some stiff competition !!

igor5 likes this.
  13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Rat!
    (I’m sorry, what was the question?)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  14. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Lovepedal Les Lius for the 5E3 setting as well as the Twin. And an Amp 11 black Big Box for everything else. I could get the Amp 11 to do what the Les Lius does but I would have to tweak it, this way I just step on what I need. I'm using a BF Bassman that I've rehoused in a 2X10 cab built by Mather Cab Co. The only other pedals I'm using are a Strymon Flint for reverb and trem.

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Some pedals are made for clean amps. I use a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET overdrive. Its tiny case provides two channels, each designed to adjust for single coils and humbuckers, and adds Marshall flavor. It responds very amp like and cleans up from the volume control of your guitar.

igor5 likes this.
  16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

RAT.

Except I use an ENO Myomophia which Ammoon does now for 23GDP. Might be worth a punt before you spend well over 100USD. There's always room for a RAT (especially a mini-sized one) even if you decide to get something else later.

igor5 likes this.
  17. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Stacking can work well. I often stack a Tube Screamer style into a Rat style. If I'm playing through an amp with Fender-ish tones, the TS comes on first, then the Rat style for dirtier sounds. Reverse the order of what comes on when if playing through a Vox-style amp.

I have a friend who stacks a Klon clone with a Tube Screamer through a Fender. Sounds great.

With a Fender tweed I might just use a Klon clone or a Tube Screamer. Depends on how much dirt you can get.

I've never used a Timmy, but people who play through Vox amps seem to love them, often as an always on little bit of dirt pedal.

igor5 likes this.
  18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Tube Screamer probably doesn't work if you're into a solid state amp. For that situation you might want an amp simulator of some kind. Tech 21 makes several. The Blonde covers both Tweed and BF/SF sounds, and can get pretty dirty if that's what you want. Joyo makes a much less expensive pedal that is supposedly a clone of the Blonde.

You could probably use one of these as a dirt pedal into a clean tube amp.

Everything else I suggested (post number 37 immediately above) probably also works with a clean SS amp.

igor5 likes this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I am going that way many times. Last month I had to play with a Marshall VS100, an Blackstar "something"20, a Katana, a Vox valvetronix, a Fender hot rod and a JCM900 and my THR10 thought PA. My main amp is a Bassman 59 LTD...

I just dial a clean I would like and use TWO Tubescreamers, one for crunch and the second stacked for leads

Actually I use the same pedals I use every day. I mean, I don't change anything. Just carry my pedalboard and that it is. I wouldn't buy more pedals just in case I have to use backline amps.

What you have to do is LEARN to use any f*****g amp in any f*****g condition you can find. Just dial the nicest clean you can dial (for you) and live with it... in that gig

Sometimes it can make you upset and angry but most of the times is quite fun and challenging to me... lets find what can I do with this thing

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    stonge, igor5 and PastorJay like this.
  20. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

A bluesbreaker or a clone. For higher gain anything based on a Zendrive. RATs and OCDs are also a great option depending on what flavor you like. I use the two Mooer clones of BB and Zendrive, separately or stacked, into my clean BF. Nice range of options.

I’d stay away from Tubescreamers and Klons for your application.

igor5 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.