Overdrive/Distortion + Built-in Boost suggestions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dreamingtele, Oct 9, 2019 at 1:20 AM.

1. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

The modern classic has to be the ZVEX Box of Rock. Now, it’s the ZVEX Double Rock.

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

94DE8C9C-50A7-429D-B3BF-C906DC1423C9.jpeg Westminster effects Knox 800 overdrive. His eyes glow and it’s good to have a fine Protestant figure represented on a worship pedal.

8E3CFE40-494F-41F0-AD54-CAC33812B7F8.jpeg

dreamingtele likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Its available here in Oz! but wow, the price!

4. dreamingtele

Man, there are dealers here in Oz, but no stocks!! I love what I heard on youtube!

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

They're an easy and cheap DIY... it's one of the many Lovepedal designs based on the Electra+ circuit. ~£20 for a Fuzzdog kit.

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I play in church with more drive than most - also a bluesy style. Also lots of ambient reverbs and delay. I’m using a hybrid analogue pedal and modelling solution now and go into a clean, flat SS amp with an Eminence Private Jack speaker. However, before this I used the EXH Tortion as my main dirtbox and preamp. It’s basically a JFet based two channel preamp, rather than an OD. It’s very flexible and organic sounding. It’s sounds more like amp distortion than pedal distortion, which I’ve found I generally don’t like.

Using either the EXH Tortion or my current modelling processor, I use a clean boost in front to hit the preamp circuit harder for more gain (not much more volume) and a Boss GE-7 after the preamp stage to give a clean volume boost and some tone shaping for solos/intros/outros. I’ve tried a number of solutions and this is by far my preferred approach.

Here’s the Tortion:
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/files/26952/lg_EHX TORTION.jpg

It also has a analog cab emulated XLR out - I didn’t use this much, but it is pretty decent and came in handy for playing direct to a PA on a Christmas float gig I did a few years ago - pretty bloody portable solution for stuff like that!

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

BTW, gorgeous teles!

8. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

voodoo labs sparkle drive?

dreamingtele likes this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Didn't think of that. They come up every month or six weeks on Lovepedal's Saturday Night Sales, usually for around $100, but I have no idea whether they would ship to your corner of the world or not. Here's the link, anyway:

https://lovepedalcustomeffects.myshopify.com

Left side of the Tchula has no knob, mainly useful as an always-on pedal, due to the big gain boost when you engage it. Very useful in fattening up a tube amp, good sparkle & dynamics. Right side has a knob, variable boost, seems to push things over the top without a lot of mud. I really really love mine but I don't think it's a pedal for everybody -- but man, does this thing love telecasters.

dreamingtele likes this.
  10. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Sorry, didn't know you were down under.

And I meant Godfather III, not II. Keep an eye out if they pop up near you.

dreamingtele likes this.
  11. dreamingtele

i’m open to a different route. I dont have any clue what jfet/mosfet overdrive is, but I’ll check this one out. Its a bit expensive here for a bnew one, almost double of my budget 415aud.

all i want is a drive that can do clean-gain gain gain + boost to make me louder and maybe add some gain.

I already have a pre-amp/base tone, thats the tech21 Blondie, it also has gain/drive knob, but I keep it really clean. Our amps are backstage and mic’ed, the amp i’n assigned/regularly use is a Blues Deville. But they’re pre-set to a volume of 2-3. So its not gonna break up, and its SUPER clean, which is what I want, and use my pedals for drive, which is also what I want.

12. dreamingtele

thank you. I’m in love with early 60’s spec telecasters. Especially double bound. I’m still on the hunt AND saving up for an AV64. I think and AVRI62 and AVRI64 would be a perfect combination as guitar number 1 and 2 for me. All the other tele can be anything as long as it has rosewood board. Lol

13. dreamingtele

They sound good! But I need something with dual footswitches for the boost

14. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

The sleeper...

Demoed with a standard Tele.

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Blackstar HT Dual?

Cascaded valve gain stages. It's classed as a distortion pedal, but can be reined in. High voltage rather than starved plate operation, and quite effective.

16. dreamingtele

I may have to try this, not only it might not fit in my board, but also the power supply..

Ive read mixed reviews about this..

and yes I'm still having a hard time trying to find a good dual overdrive, and Im getting annoyed to the point of considering just buying two different drives that I can stack. LOL

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

this JHS thing might do the trick

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.