Overdrive/Distortion + Built-in Boost suggestions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dreamingtele, Oct 9, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

I play in church, mostly light gain/drive.. but my preference is a bit heavier bluesy kind of drive, so I set my drive tones a hair dirtier than usual.. I like it that way..

Here's my set up.. Even though we have an amp at the main stage, there are times I play in a different venue that has a different amp, or sometimes we go straight to PA.. to be more consistent, I set whatever amp I use to flat EQ and I have a Joyo American Sound (now replaced by Tech21 Blondie), as a clean base tone, also "always on" and I use two gain stages.. stage 1 - klone-type "always on" pedal, stage 2 - heavier gain for solos/lead lines.. which is the Lovepedal AMP11.. I play Tele's.. one is AVRI62 all stock, and one Fender Japan 62ri with AV64 pickups..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like how it sounds, but recently I feel like my taste is changing and I no longer find the Lovepedal AMP11 suits my taste.. I like a pedal with the boost function because sometimes when the house and the all of the band gets pumped, I need to step up.. so its functioning more like a volume boost adding a bit of dirt..

Before I get roasted, I know tones are all subjective, I'm mainly looking for a pedal that has built-in boost to try something different.. and what are you guys using? what have I been missing?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 that has a boost and a gain stage and you can flip the order to get a volume boost or get more dirt.

It’s much better driving an on the edge amp rather than into something super clean though like most ods. The Comp Cut mode is better.

My preference (and what has stayed on my rig) is a standalone MXR Microamp.. I can put it anywhere to push a pedal for more dirt or after for a level boost.

Today I’d get two pedals and enjoy the flexibility. TC Spark Booster into something else.

LooseJack likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

What? They made a v3 on this?? I didnt know! Im gonna head to youtube and check it out..

I wanted a Tim in the first place, but I couldnt find it, and when I found one, seller was asking ridiculously high price for one.. given its no longer in production, and quite rare, but my choices were LovePedal Amp11 and Fulldrive 2-Mosfet.. the LovePedal won because of my limited real estate on my board.. but I can shift things around as Im also thinking about replacing the klon with something with a bit more character..

4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

The Caline Crazy Cacti is a Fulldrive FD2 clone for a lot less money. Might be worth a try.

dreamingtele and leonard d rock like this.
  5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Boost after dirt for more volume.

dreamingtele likes this.
  6. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

To stay on the Fulltone topic, I have the Fulldrive 2 v2 and it's great - has a separate volume knob for the boost mode to make it easier to dial in how much of a kick you get.

[​IMG]

dreamingtele likes this.
  7. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I honestly don't love any of the boost and od 2 in 1 pedals enough to recommend one and every time I think about building one myself I talk myself out of it. I'd rather have the flexibility of having two pedals

Chiogtr4x and D_Malone like this.
  8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Same here, but I have high hopes for the soon-to-be-released Boss OD-200. I’ve pre-ordered one. Fingers crossed.

9. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

Versatile pedal. Hope you find “the one”.

10. dreamingtele

i love Caline pedals! I can certainly try and the smaller footprint appeals to me!

there are fd2 versions within my area in the classifieds, i can check them out first before buying them

11. dreamingtele

really intrigued with this pedal! Im just looking for a store that stocks this near my area so i can demo it

12. dreamingtele

the only reason is because I have limited real estate on my board lol.

I can shift things around, its bound to be re-wired anyway. But for now, Im just really into 2-pedals-in-1.

13. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I like this one.

hqdefault.jpg

14. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

A lot of guys do the 4-way switch mod to their Teles to have a “boost mode” at their fingertips. I know I personally like having it in my Teles. Sounds like you step on a boost pedal.

Pedal wise, for a tele, sometimes I’ll dust off the old Sunlion if I wanna get really gnarly and explosive - germanium fuzz face and a rangemaster boost in one. For something a little more tame, the BMF Marc F’n Ford pedal or The Godfather II would be great, I bet. Whatever kinda boost you get, I think the germanium rangemaster/treble booster type is key to really pushing it over the edge and cut thru the chaos.

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

2 suggestions:
    1. Check out other Lovepedals. The Box of Awesome comes to mind as does the COT/Eternity....he specializes it seems in first with boost.
    2. Ask Mike at Chicago Stompworks to make you a BloozeBoost.it is a Bluesbreaker on one side and a Red Llama on the other. Stackable...and cheap.

oh, and plus 1 on the series position 4 mod for your tele.

RYAN1987M and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. dreamingtele

I havent had any experience with a treble booster type OD/boost.. I dont want to cut heads, but just something closer to edge and a boost to top it all off, but independent so that I can use the boost if I dont want to hit the second stage OD...

The klone I have is my first stage gain and always on.. if I hit the boost, it makes me a bit louder, and giving it a bit of dirt, only a little bit.. then if I want something really dirty, I'll hit the second stage dirt.. and when everyones in the clouds and the band is really pumped, I'll hit the boost again to send the tele to the top.. I wont have a problem cutting through I think, those 60's teles I have are bright enough on their own..

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

If you can find a tchula check it out — small footprint, variable boost, match made in heaven with a tele

dreamingtele likes this.
  18. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Rumor has it this is based on a tubescreamer into an OCD. The order is reversible.

dreamingtele likes this.
  19. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They're popular for a reason:
    TS808.jpg

dreamingtele likes this.
  20. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

What you’re describing is basically what the BMF Marc Ford and Godfather II pedals are designed to do. They’re dual pedals with independent switches for overdrive and boost. The name “treble booster” is a bit misleading and isn’t really what it sounds like. What it really does is tightens the bass and boosts the upper mids to sound more focused and make notes sing. Think Brian May solos. They’re designed to work together with cranked amps or other dirt pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.