Overdrive: Barber, Fulltone or TC Electronic?

VerySlowHand

Tele-Holic
Please help me find the right overdrive; I can't find any of my shortlist locally, so I have to buy online.

I play at home; blues, 70's rock, southern rock (not country, not jazz, certainly NOT metal). I have a stock Baja Tele and a Blackstar HT-5R 5 watt valve amp. I have no neighbours and have a room where I can make as much noise as I like, but i value my hearing!

I want something subtle, to give me organic, smooth, creamy, tube-like, overdriven tones at low-ish volumes - my budget is around £140.00 / $200.00 and my shortlist is:

• Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet (although I'd prefer a smaller footprint)
• Fulltone OCD
• Barber Gain Changer
• Barber Direct Drive (the mini green one that incorporates the DDLG)
• TC Electronic MojoMojo
• TC Electronic Spark Booster

I realise the last one is more of a boost, but I like the subtlety in the demo's I've heard on Yoo Toob... is it in the nature of a booster that you'd need volume for this pedal to work properly?

Thanks.

Richard Guy

TDPRI Member
My vote goes to Barber. I've never been dissatisfied with any their ODs. Pop the hood, they are built like tanks. Great Customer service too.

ieatlions

Tele-Afflicted
I don't think a booster is what you're after mate.
I think the OCD would get you exactly where you wanna go! Barber stuff is great but Fulltone stuff is more readily available here in Blighty.

simonsp

Friend of Leo's
... I want something subtle, to give me organic, smooth, creamy, tube-like, overdriven tones at low-ish volumes - my budget is around £140.00 / $200.00 ...

The Barber Gain Changer fits your description exactly. I got mine from StringsDirect very easily. Check out the online video from Prymaxe, it gives an accurate representation of what the pedal does.

nathanteal

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, as much as I don't want to sound redundant, the tones you describe sound very Gain Changer-esque. I love all the pedals you mention for various reasons (except the TC stuff because I honestly have no experience with them), but the Gain Changer, I think will be your best bet. If you could spare a little extra or search used, I'd say get both of the Barber pedals and stack them together when you need something a little more aggressive.

Definitely, I would say, don't bother with TC Electronic if you just want one OD. The GC will cover anything that both of those pedals could do and then some, IMO, going off of demos.

Last edited:

VerySlowHand

Tele-Holic
The Barber Gain Changer fits your description exactly. I got mine from StringsDirect very easily. Check out the online video from Prymaxe, it gives an accurate representation of what the pedal does.

Thanks guys. Those Prymaxe videos are excellent. My shortlist is in no particular order here, but after watching their video for the GC yesterday (and a zillion others) I'd say it was top of the list.

I'm almost there in choosing the GC, but in the context of what I'm looking for, have any of you GC users been able to compare it to the OCD? I was under the impression that the OCD is a little more aggressive than the Fulldrive and perhaps the GC?

nathanteal

Tele-Afflicted
The OCD is definitely more aggressive. It has more attack, which may be good in some contexts, but I found the GC more adaptable. The OCD is great if all your playing is rock, but for those times demanding something just a tad meeker and more dynamic, the GC win out easy. And it will still cover the higher gain territory without a problem.

Dunzie

Tele-Holic
I've played all of those except the MojoMojo and I have owned the OCD, FD2 and still have the Gain Changer and Spark Booster. My recommendation is hands down the Barber. It's possibly the most versatile OD I've ever played and it sounds great everything from a slight dirt clean boost right through to a medium-high gainer. Buy it and don't look back. The OCD is ok and does have a little more gain on tap, but it's also fizzier sounding to me. The Spark Booster isn't in the same class drive wise so not sure I'd consider it alongside them.

VerySlowHand

Tele-Holic
Okay, that's really helpful, thanks! I'm definitely going to get the Gain Changer.

I might start another thread, but if anyone wants to chip in here, I'd value your opinions.

I hate multi-fx units, but for home use only, can anyone recommend a 'utility' pedal with a small footprint?

Overdrive, delay and chorus, will be my individual, or 'core' pedals, but I also want a 'now and then' pedal to cover other effects and maybe to include drum patterns. (I'll be doing a lot of looping, but I'll get a Jamman, or RC-3, or Ditto :confused: for that.)

I was looking at Zoom MultiStomps, Line 6 M5 (no drums in either), or Digitech RP360. Any views?

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Okay, that's really helpful, thanks! I'm definitely going to get the Gain Changer.

I might start another thread, but if anyone wants to chip in here, I'd value your opinions.

I hate multi-fx units, but for home use only, can anyone recommend a 'utility' pedal with a small footprint?

Overdrive, delay and chorus, will be my individual, or 'core' pedals, but I also want a 'now and then' pedal to cover other effects and maybe to include drum patterns. (I'll be doing a lot of looping, but I'll get a Jamman, or RC-3, or Ditto :confused: for that.)

I was looking at Zoom MultiStomps, Line 6 M5 (no drums in either), or Digitech RP360. Any views?

Vox has a small and inexpensive multi that looks interesting.

Serenity23

Tele-Holic
As an alternative to the Gain Changer, you should check out the Machinehead Pedals 72 degrees. I play the same styles as you, and with my Esquire into Marshall Class 5 the 72 degrees is excellent.

jtn191

TDPRI Member
I'd go with Barber or Fulltone. Barber is well respected in the DIY community for original designs, high quality products. Fulltone makes good stuff but is seen as a big company. TC does mostly DSP stuff...and I see them as being a little less reliable.

Turtletwang

Tele-Meister
There's nothing wrong with your shortlist, but you might want to consider the Maxon OD808. Cost around $150. I use one exclusively with my Blues Jr. at room volume (most of the time), and it provides a nice chunky rhythm sound.

whiteop

Tele-Afflicted
My vote goes to Barber. I've never been dissatisfied with any their ODs. Pop the hood, they are built like tanks. Great Customer service too.

Gain Changer gets my vote. Bought one a few weeks ago. Great little drive and it fattens up your single coils very nicely too.

Ricardo Moraes

Tele-Meister
Here's my tied vote:

* Fulltone Plimsoul
* Barber Direct Drive
* Barber Half Gainer
* Barber Gain Changer
* Barber Small Fry

Each one of them has its own voice. They are built as Panzer tanks and deliver the goods!