1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overdrive and dirt pedal search

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Twofivetele, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Twofivetele

Twofivetele TDPRI Member

Clearing my board and looking for 3ish pedals to cover all the tones I need.

I play everything from hard rock, to blues, pop, funk, etc.

Guitars are a Vox Hdc77 (pickups usually set to the P90 setting) and (picking up very soon) an awesome 60th Anniversary FSR Tele (pickups are higher output and warmer than other tele pickups I've heard).

I play through a fender super reverb reissue.

Pedals I've looked at:

Keeley Tone Workstation
    Wampler Clarksdale/Tumnus/Euphoria
    Lovepedal Kalamazoo/Amp 11/ Eternity
    BB Preamp
    Supro Drive
    Timmy
    Fulldrive

Ideally looking for a "transparent" or klone drive, a tubescreamer, and something that can handle higher gain (not "modern" but capable of getting a real distorted tone).

Thanks in advance y'all.

2. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Seriously consider Catlinbread, "Katzenkonig", which is a combo circuit pedal with one circuit being the "RAT" Distortion pedal, and the other circuit being "Tonebender MkII" Fuzz.

This just might be what you're after.

I should also add that I really like my J. Rockett Archer Ikon, which is about as close as you are going to get to the Klon tone, but lots of good Klon clones out there....EHX Soul Food being another one.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I really like my Keeley Tone Workstation. The dirt parts of it are killer and it does all the mods you really need. That, a verb / delay and a compressor are all I would probably ever need.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Thank you, thank you, thank you for being one who understands the difference between "boost" type overdrive, mild distortion overdrive, and distortion!

I own an original Klon Centaur (I've had it since they were $250) and have tried dozens or supposed clones, emulators bla bla bla. 2 years ago I finally found a pedal that sounds as close as I think you can get without have a real one - the Tone City Bad Horse. It's a 1/2-size pedal (meaning half the size on an MXR-type) and only runs around $75. All I can say is buy one!

For a tube screamer type where the big mid-hump can be defeated if desired the Way Huge Green Rhino is great (I have an original but have used the reissues - which basically have more options - the sound is very close).

As far as lower-gain distortion this is where budget starts to affect options. Let me know what you have in your budget for one. The problem here is that as you kick distortion up noise starts to become an issue - lower noise raises cost. Tone adjustability is also a cost item - really, ones with the most "amp like", non fizzy/fuzzy/hairy/fake sounding distortion are in the upper price ranges.

Hope this helps.

Rospo and BB like this.
  5. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

You gotta get the Tumnus.

Murphcaster likes this.
  6. Twofivetele

Twofivetele TDPRI Member

It depends on what all I'm going for with the budget. But I'm willing to spend 500 on a duo or trio of pedals...maybe 600 if I'm really impressed.

7. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Only $50 shipped now at Riff City.
    https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com/products/tone-city-bad-horse-overdrive-pedal

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I vote for...
    transparent type = Timmy
    tubescreamer style = Good ol' Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer or TS 808 re-issue (for even more gain, Ibanez Jet Driver)
    higher gain pedal = Rat

9. JCR_thinline

JCR_thinline TDPRI Member

I really like my Friedman Be-od for a lot of my higher gain stuff.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like @RetroTeleRod's suggestions.

Though a Timmy won't do the Klon thing. The designer of the Timmy aimed it a Strat + Marshall rig. The designer of Klon aimed it at a Tele + Twin Reverb rig. I think a Super is closer to Twin so maybe you do want a Klon.

If so, why not get a KTR? Once you get past the silly message, it is the Klon. But with a defeatable buffer.

The Tone City pedal was the best Klone I tried. But to my ear and my hand it didn't quite capture the Klon magic. As a price-performer, and if you are not certain you want what the Klon does, the Tone city is a no-brainer. But if you want to avoid all doubt, just get the KTR.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting article on Klon clones here...http://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-tips/klon-klone-shootout
    If you want a dirt cheap way to learn if a Klon might be for you...Electro Harmonix Soul Food.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+2 I think if you want to do it all with three pedals, this is the direction to go. All three are classic goto pedals. Start with these three and let your ears and fingers do the talking.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

See next post wouldn't let me delete this one.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    pickaguitar likes this.
  14. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

BYOC Crown Jewel was the solution for me I have taken my pedal board down to the three pedals I use all the time. Crown Jewel for all overdrive tones, Boss DM3 Delay, Mr Black Deluxe Spring Reverb and Tremolo'

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

You'll get a 100 recommendations, and they will all be good!

The most versatile drive I've ever used is the Moog MF drive, which doesn't get mentioned much but which is really great.

It has two eq knobs--one is a Moog "ladder filter," which is kind of hard to describe--it's a very powerful EQ that progressively cuts highs while also adding saturation. If you sweep it with an expression pedal, it can sound kind of synthy. It also has a tone knob that at it's lowest setting (7 o'clock) cuts highs, then becomes a mid scoop, then cuts lows. Between the two knobs you can get a whole bunch of extremely effective sounds. It has two gain stages, for more drive, and a switch that further boosts the frequency at which you are cutting. It's actually hard to describe and not all that intuitive, but in practice you can just twddle till it sounds good

dr_tom likes this.
  16. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Soul Food hands down

17. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

If you want to go the klon route, and you're handy with a soldering iron, you can get the silver pony kit on reverb (it's the BYOC kit, but for whatever reason is exclusively available from alchemy audio) its $90 and the best Klone I've heard (in video comparisons anyway).

My go to recommendation for drive pedals these days is the looking glass from DOD. It's amazingly good. It has an input filter which adjusts the pre-drive tone to match the guitar, so if you switch guitars and it doesn't sound right, you just adjust the input filter to taste. Then after the drive circuit is a treble cut/bass cut concentric tone control. There's a recommended EQ setting in the manual that I use and love, which essentially bypasses the tone controls by running the bass/treble cuts wide open.

It's not "super transparent" it is rather amp like, but it's transparentish. It colors your sound, but only slightly. It's also incredibly touch responsive. I can set mine up for classic rock crunch and by adjusting pick attack get edge of breakup sounds and even pristine cleans. And with the low/high gain switch it can get close to classic metal sounds. It'll do great on a blues/pop board for sure. At the very least check one out.

My looking glass has kicked off a: Wampler Pinnacle deluxe, OCD, carl Martin plexitone, and a wampler sovereign.

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I've been using this for about 2mo now, more impressed with it every time I use it. Those sweepable filters allow you to set it right where you need it. From eq/boost duty up a med grind. It's very open and clear, you hear the strings ringing through. From warm and sultry all the way up to bright and jangly, just a matter of where you set those filters. Def run it at 12-18v or get 18v charge pump add on. This one pedal could easily cross the BB, Supro and Timmy off your list.

19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

My search has led me to:
    1. Boss BD-2 low gain duty
    2. JRAD Blue Note mid gain
    3. Rat for high gain stuff..
    4. The dirty side of my Ethos Preamp for almost all the above for more and more tunes.

Dirt is so 'individual' its almost useless to attempt skipping the dirt quest. I'm good on my dirt pedals after a string of short love affairs with various pedals. I've finally found a few that really fit my gig. Good luck!!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  20. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Get a Rat....then see if you need something else...

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.