1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overddrive for Sunday Service

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by INeedATeleCaste, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

White Stripes (or anything by Jack White)
    Black Keys
    John Mayer
    John Mark MacMillian
    Indie Rock bands like: Band of Horses, Real Estate, Deep Sea Diver, Seapony

All Spring Reverb Users, heavy in some cases

U2
    Coldplay
    Hillsong (which really is the same thing :) )
    Chris Tomlin
    Fleet Foxes
    Band of Horses

all use some sort of plate, hall, or room reverb, both live and in studio.

now if i'm on electric on a Sunday morning, I don't alway use reverb, it depends on the worship leader, the set, and the sound they are going for. but if they want a Hillsong (coldplay, u2) sound then its a mod plate with my nova delay, if it's a younger worship leader with more indie rock sensibilities, it's a tape delay (lightly mixed, no dotted 8th) and a spring reverb or plate. if it's country it's a tight spring with a tape delay slap back. if it's a straight rock sound then no reverb or delay, just a dry over drive.

I'm not saying that you're wrong if you don't use reverb, but i'm saying that modern music, thanks to influential producers like Eno, Lanois, and Tbone burnett is reverb heavy.

2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Tele-Meister

And I'm not saying reverb is bad - just that the amount you need in a live setting tends to be less than you hear on a recording, given the natural reverb of larger rooms. I appreciate where you're coming from and I am a fan of delay, but typically not when playing rhythm parts.

The most reverby (possibly inventing a new word) guitar sound I've come across recently is probably The Xx - a very sparse and spacious sound.

3. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

I agree there. That follows the rule that the more players in a band, the less I play, and the more effects I run, or the busier the effects are (delay, heavy reverb, heavy Trem) the less I play.

4. theskypilot

theskypilot Tele-Meister

I use a tubescreamer and a blues driver more than anything. I have used an SD-1, MXR Classic OD and for distortion/fuzz--DS-1 or Big Muf. I also have a Wah.

I mostly use the tubescreamer to nudge my AC-15 into a nice clean breakup. Using the normal channel. Blues driver gives the real grit.

5. carbon ribs

carbon ribs Tele-Meister

I run a Barber 1/2 Gainer, a Biyang Mad Driver ( TS clone) and a Biyang Mouse (Rat clone). They pretty much give me all the levels of dirt I need individually or stacked.

Our other guitarist used a Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1 (OCD clone) today and it sounded great. I love low $$ pedals that sound good!

6. jazzrat

jazzrat Tele-Meister

Incoming Visual Sound Open Road Overdrive.
    I've been looking for an "ampy" sounding overdrive to use with my FD2 and Suhr Riot.
    The Open Road is specifically NOT supposed to be a TS or 808 clone and does not have the big mid hump. Looking forward to it.

7. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Agree that it depends on the songs you are playing and if the Pastor will approve it :p As a Worship Team Leader, I always ensure that my Worship Leader will choose a song that can easily communicate with people and bring them into an intimate worship to Our Lord... we are not show bands you know :lol:

Anyhow, I've been playing worship songs since 1998 and these are the pedals that has been on and off in my live setup:

Fulltone Fulldrive II - this is the safest pedal that I can use in a worship music. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS PEDAL. Check out my video below, this is all FD II with a Boss RV3

Any OCD type pedal - I can't afford to purchase an OCD so I had to go with cheapies like the Joyo Ultimate Drive or the Danelectro Drive v1. This can give you that Lincoln Brewster sound or those heavy overdrive Hillsongs. This is my buddy shredding on a Joyo pedal with a CAE Wah.

Digitech BadMonkey/ Danelectro Transparent Overdrive v1 - I use this as a gain solo boost or if I want a feedback sound at the end of a heavy rock song. The Dano pedal is also very very good for light rhythm sound... Only if I can get hold of the real Timmy pedal

Nobels Overdrive ODR-1 Original - somebody stole this pedal in my car a couple of years ago :mad::neutral: but I remembered that this is a very very natural soft overdrive that is very good on clean and rhythm sound. I heard that Visual Sound Open Road is a clone of this.

Visual Sound Jeckyl & Hyde - The OD side of this is terrific, fantastic for those light slow worship songs. I was very stupid to sell this. Bob Weil is a great guy to contact with.

oh yeah... and a RAT!! Though I remembered that mine sounded very very bass heavy. :p I let my buddy used it on the video below with an Ibanez WH10 reissue

Another of our live video with my Fulltone FDII used in Desert Song coupled with a Subdecay Echobox

8. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

That's my main OD. I also have a BD-2 set with lower gain settings. I run the OD-3 at a fairly low gain too. I get a little OD from my amp on the 2nd channel. All I run anymore on everything is Boss. There cheap and they sound good to my ears, but I'm 47 what do I know.

9. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Do you all use comp with od or dist/fuzz etc? Seems to clean it up a bit.
    I'd like to get another markbass compressore tube comp. very pretty
    Happy Easter! Christ is risen!
    God bless

10. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

I use two, an ibanez ts9 and a akai( biyang) blues driver I got as a Mf sdotd for cheap. Ts9 is for dirty sound, the blues driver is for vox style sounds and both on sounds real great..

11. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

I have an OCD clone lined up in a trade. Mooer hustle drive.
    I don't think my worship team is used to hearing od in live setting so ill compress it.
    The boss metal zone is a good pedal ifI you can tame it or use at low vol. low dist. good eq on it.

12. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

this1smyne.com

Check out the pearl. It's a dual OD designed by THE Dan Burgess. He's a worship leader, church guitarist & all around fantastic human being. The Pearl has lived on my board longer then any 3 OD pedals combined.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI which ROCKS!

13. itsscottwilder

itsscottwilder TDPRI Member

The Fulltone Full Drive 2 is a very versatile overdrive. Hard to go wrong with it.

14. jazzrat

jazzrat Tele-Meister

OK, just made a couple upgrades to my dirt pedals.
    Long time fan of the FD2 Non-Mosfet. It's been on the board for some time.
    Recently got the VS Open Road. Great transparent pedal and it plays nice with the FD2.
    Today got the Wampler Euphoria. INCREDIBLE! It can sound very much like the ZenDrive I had but more versatile. It can sound transparent but has other voicings on tap so lots of choices. It will be fun to try the combinations of tones. I tried the Euphoria using the Open Road as a clean boot. Very nice. That may be a keeper combo.

[​IMG]

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

Joyo Sweet Baby. Cheap built well, sounds wonderful. CHECK IT OUT.

16. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.