1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overcoming Guitar Paranoia: Advice Welcome..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JTele99, Jul 1, 2015.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i had a roommate in college who would play my stuff naked all the time.
    I caught him more than once rubbing his junk on my tele.
    i wont even go into what his (ugly) girlfriend used to do with my pedals...
    that said I wouldnt worry about it.

2. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

How about getting an older MIM Standard or similar? Not expensive, pretty tough but still good fun to play and gig with. I have a 2002 one that I always take on holidays, work breaks, etc. I wouldn't be happy if it got too damaged but it can be replaced without breaking the bank.
    And for what it's worth a £600+ Fender guitar, used or otherwise, is still an expensive item for many of us.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Nah. I was able to achieve a comparable level of popularity with a second-hand Bradley LP copy, a Gorilla GG-80 amp, and a head full of Black Flag songs.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I dunno. I'm probably the wrong guy to ask.

I take nice guitars everywhere. Because I don't own any junky guitars. Because I only like nice guitars. Don't get me wrong, some of my guitars I got very cheap. Like under $200. But, those were great deals. It would cost me much, much more to replace them. If anything happened to them.

I tour with guys who own positively amazing instruments, that never go on the road. That's a head scratcher to me. I'm not a collector. I'm a player. If I buy a guitar, it's because I wanna play it all the time. Why would I leave it home?

But that's just me.

5. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

This is what will happen:

1) The guitar will be stolen; or
    2) You'll break it while sober (It's a small room. Things happen.)
    3) Your roommate will break it while sober. (He was trying to fit his mountain bike into the room.); or
    4) You will break it while drunk. And you will probably be drunker at some point than you thought possible, and decide it's an ideal time to play your guitar. It's not, but you won't believe that; or
    5) Someone else will break it while drunk. And she had better be a super-hot chick who feels like she needs to make it up to you. If it's a dude, punch him in the face.

The odds aren't good. And we haven't even discussed amps yet. Someone will use your amp to set their beer on, and spill it. Again, hope she's hot, otherwise, your knuckles will be sore.

In short, see if the R.A. will let you keep your axe and amp in his room. Or take up the harmonica.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just freaked out my bandmates when I told them I often practice naked. My little music room doesn't have AC, it's a not-to-code add on to the house. So if I shut the door it sometimes gets up to 85 degrees in there when it's hot outside. If I'm playing for three hours no way the clothes are gonna stay on.

Now my friends don't want to play my guitars 'cause they've been..............tainted.

Good stuff.

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Get a girlfriend instead.

8. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

Yep. I spent my money to play em. I just started this thread to see how many felt the same and what advice differing opinions gave. I guess we're the minority :) Stolen is the only concern, and it's a small one for me, I couldn't care less about 400 dings, dents, and scratches.

By the way, thanks to all of you who replied, whether we agree or not.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I've had multiple guitars in the craziest of surroundings through the last 20 years and the only one I've ever broken was a bass guitar because the cheap strap snapped off...when I was 12. I see myself as being very liberal with the care of my instruments, what are you guys doing that causes all these broken guitars?

10. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

Believe it or not, my school is kinda strict on the partying, there isn't even one coed dorm, for, in their words," obvious reasons" :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.