1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overcoming Guitar Paranoia: Advice Welcome..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JTele99, Jul 1, 2015.

1. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, I'll do some maintenance on my Squier Cab and use it for a while.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, take your beater guitars.

If I was sure other people would be playing my guitars, I'd take Les Parts - my Parts Paul made from an Epiphone body and various old parts I had around the house. No way I'd take anything I'd be devastated about getting damaged or stolen.

3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I agree. I had one guitar at a time in college several hundred years ago. It was one at a time because I had no $, but they all played well.

First was a Harmony Rocket, then a c. 1971 MIJ Epi FT110, then a 1972 USA Gibson Hummingbird. First two had no case, 3rd a chipboard $10 case. I played each everywhere as did the friends I handed 'em to. Each survived.

I didn't have to worry much about thieves in married housing, but once I got that Hummingbird it was never outta eyesight anyway. That sucker ate dinner in truck stops with me.

Play a guitar you like, enjoy it & take reasonable care.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The dang things are tools, if I have good tools and OK tools I prefer to use the good ones.
    College is life, you've got a locked private room, how much more is a Fender worth than a Squier, divided by the number of days you'll be in College?

Unless we're talking about big money custom or vintage instruments, I just can't get with this idea of owning good gear and hiding it at home instead of bringing it with you to actually play.

I have some better guitars that I'm precious about, but a $600 used-not-mint off the rack Fender is easily replaceable and not anything precious.

Sorry for the rant, life is short.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

No brainer, you are making the right decision with the beater. It is surprisingly shocking what can happen during college. It could possibly even be safer for you to just handle the beater at least through your freshman year.

Just sayin' ...

Oh, and good luck and have fun!

6. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

I'm in the Life is Short camp. If I could afford a Fender, I'd take it everywhere as I do with my Squier Telecaster. Yes, "stuff" happens. So? Enjoy what you have rather than hide it away like a lamp under a basket...:D

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I played all through my college years. Set up a band, played the university theatre productions and pretty much paid for all my food and gear costs from weekend bar gigs (which gave me free beer too)

What I could not keep safely in my room in cases I had stored in a lock up room on the main campus that I had a key to. (I helped organising AV and the theatre for the college and it got me some privileges)

It's just life as someone said. Go for it all!

If you start a band, you may be able to negotiate some storage. Drummers have more kit!

The idea of taking a cheap one for a term to see what's what is good though.

8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Well, life is short - but not YOUR life. You're young, with lots of time to bond with your Fenders in a few short years. Take the beater to college. That's why they're called "beaters". You'll never have to worry about 'em.

9. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

My daughter asked for a bass she could learn on while at college. She tried out all my basses and took the 1960's Epiphone Newport A few moths later, she brought it home on a visit and asked me to replace a broken string. When I checked it out, I noticed it was tuned about a 5th too high. She said another student who played bass tuned it up and the string broke. I'm glad it did, or she may have tried to tune it up an octave. Take the Squire.

10. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I think this is the prudent thing to do. Get that one playing well and have your acoustic around and try that out for awhile.
    My MIK toploader has been dragged halfway around the world, plays great and I have no worries if someone broke it or stole it. I think it would be different if I had to watch after a really nice Fender all the time while I'm at a friend's party or such.

11. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Take what you'd like, but be sure to write down the serial #'s... and renters insurance might not be a bad idea.

I'm glad I had it when my guitars, amps, and tv were stolen.

12. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

That was not a rant :) It is my EXACT mentality, now that mentality goes against 95% of the gracious people that took their time to type on this tread, but I stripped my MIM La Cab of its 46 mile thick Poly and put an aged white, ivory light relic finish on it for a beater. I got it for 200 bucks cheaper than you'd buy em in a store, so what the hay right? Quit being scared and play em!!

13. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Nope, that's not it. It's sentimental value. It's the loss you feel if a guitar was stolen. If you don't care about a guitar then we don't care, but I'm here to say I'd give a lot of money to get back guitars I owned when I was your age.

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Take a drum set. Everyone loves drums, especially after midnight on weeknights around exams.

15. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

I think it is somewhat depending upon your living situation too. Considering you are studying music, I'd take a cheap electric as your daily player, a nice electric (stays hidden under your bed in a case) if needed for performance, the acoustic and an amp.

My roommate had 5 guitars and ran a recording studio out of our dorm room, but I knew him for 7 years before college and he knew I wouldn't mess anything up.

16. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

My 'baby' is staying at home most definitely, now it's not the best playing I have, but it's the most sentimental by far. A Candy Apple Squier Affinity Tele that I bought in 09, my first Tele, and only guitar for several years, so it's got the natural relic story behind it.

17. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was a music major at college playing Trombone. I had two horns, one $4k+ pro level horn and one beater. The pro level horn was locked in a secured locker in the performance center and only came out in the performance center. My beater came out everywhere else. It got knocked over, stepped on, dropped, etc.... regularly. Not because anyone was being malicious, but because dorm life is unpredictable and everyone lives really closely. Get a good set up on the Squire, and live there a few months. If you're comfortable bringing the Fenders after that, then great. But expect that they will get knocked around.

18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yep, music students get lockers, bigger ones for bigger sized instruments. This thread just reminded me of how I used to get my student account "locked" every year during breaks because I always forgot to turn the damn key in. I've had stuff stolen but somehow never in college when I had much fancier gear (ahh, paid room + board). Had a roommate somehow manage to break a low E string on an L5-S though, guy must have been really high as in..higher than his normal high.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh good, then there won't be any drinking or drugs, or any young people away from home for the first time in their lives and getting into all sorts of hijinks and horseplay. There's no way a guitar could get damaged in that environment.

You know, I just couldn't type that with a straight face.

20. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was going to suggest taking a BC Rich Warlock. No good christian would steal one of them. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.