1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Overcoming Guitar Paranoia: Advice Welcome..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JTele99, Jul 1, 2015.

1. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

I leave "the nest" for college in the fall, and I have a dilemma. Do I take my great playing Fender Tele and Strat, or the 'ehhh' playing Squiers to avoid anyone "messin' around" :lol:? Keep in mind, every time someone asks me why I like the beat up look, (natural battle scars, or relic, I love both) I tell them, "Guitars are meant to be played". So using that logic, my mind says I should take the Fenders.

And give a knuckle sandwich if anyone messes with em :lol::lol:

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

depends if there is a chance they get stolen. If there is a high risk, I would not take the expensive guitars.

(I'm saying this because gear gets stolen all the time in the US)

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I travel with a very nice Squier tele and beat it up- when I get home, those very nice Fenders feel fantastic and they are in beautiful condition. But that's just me...

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is great advice, get a good set up on the Squier and take it.

5. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Things get knocked over at college, so if it was some super fragile/expensive custom - Collings, Gibson CS, etc. - then you'd be justified leaving it at home. Similarly, you might not take a showroom fresh Ferrari 488 to the local run-what-ya-brung drag strip. Just too much of a show pony, pardon the pun. But Fenders and Ford Mustangs? That's exactly what they're made for. ;)

6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with this, as long as home is safe.

7. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

If the OP will be living in a dorm I'd keep the nice guitars at home due to greater likelihood of a guitar getting damaged in a dorm type setting.

8. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

That's my mentality! Ill be living in a suite style place with separate 1 person bedrooms, and it is a southern, Christian value based school, so the risk is lower than most. BUT, with that being said, it is still there. I'm not too worried though.

9. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

No, don't be naive. Religion doesn't change thieves, or make them reformed.

10. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Why not invest a few bucks in getting the Squier set up right, frets sorted etc This will turn the guitar around.

Keep your valuable guitars safe, but take the (now great playing) Squier with you.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

take one good electric and one good acoustic and one good amp.

take hard cases and put them away when you aren't playing.

12. BariTele

BariTele Tele-Meister

Dorm living and room mates can get weird fast. I say bring the Squier to begin with. If your room mates are cool and the building is cool, you can bring the nicer guitars with you after winter break.

13. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

Fully aware. That was to preface the adults there.. not the students who are only there because it's cheaper tuition

14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't take a nice guitar to college. I would take an acoustic, and not even a nice acoustic. Heck, if I could swing it, I'd buy the Fender Acoustic Electric for $149 and take that.

15. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

Yep. I have to take an acoustic, considering I have a guitar class

16. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

Not trying to negate anyone but I will have my own room, so any instruments will either be with me or in my room in a case behind a locked door.

17. Lilticus

Lilticus TDPRI Member

If you take the squier I'll bet as soon as you go back home you'll replace it with the fender , actually not a bad idea , you can test the waters with the squier if you then think it's safe then get the best playing and sounding one,

18. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Take the bare minimum. One guitar and one amp. Take a good one and keep it safe.

You will probably end up packing/unpacking your stuff a lot between now and graduation, you will save yourself a ton of unnecessary effort by packing light.

19. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Despite the nature of the school and the fact that you have your own bedroom, I would take the Squier. Dorms are not a controlled environment. People do crazy stuff. You may do crazy stuff. Slip and slides in the hallway and water fights were frequent where I was. I can think of numerous ways a nice guitar could get damaged in a dorm while it was under what you would think to be your complete control.

You may decide later to bring a nicer guitar, but start off with one that you won't get too stressed over. If you bring one, it wouldn't be an acoustic for me. An electric you can plug into a headphone amp is the way to go living in close quarters.

20. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Take something cheap... at least until you get to know the people and the place. Even then nothing's certain. I lived in a room on the 17th floor of a dorm building, and had a trustworthy room mate, and we had our room burgled. Never got any of the stuff that was stolen back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.