Over The Rainbow

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Then there was the jazz sax player who was down on his luck in London and decided to jump out a window, sax in hand. When he stepped onto the ledge he saw a perfect rainbow, and he started playing this song. The problem was, he couldn't remember the bridge, so he kept repeating the A section. People down on the street started yelling, "play the bridge, play the bridge!" In frustration he leapt.

Lying on the ground, barely conscious, he heard the ambulance approaching ... DOO-dee DOO-dee DOO-dee

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
I like the horn work, but a bit flashy for how I hear this song. I believe the definitive version is from the movie, but I offer up this interpretation by Keith Jarrett for your listening, my favorite (along with the IZ rainbow/wonderful world mashup) --

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
If you ever need to teach somebody what an octave is, tell them to sing the first two syllables to "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." They'll smile and say, "Ah, that's what an octave is."

"Some-where" -- a perfect example of an octave.

greenhornet

Tele-Meister
Thanks! I had to go to my AMG to Jazz to see who he is, I should have had some idea, I'm a big Mingus fan. Beautiful version, wonderful album cover: Love it!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
If you ever need to teach somebody what an octave is, tell them to sing the first two syllables to "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." They'll smile and say, "Ah, that's what an octave is."

"Some-where" -- a perfect example of an octave.

Learning to recognize intervals is really good ear training. Some great references here:

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Drawing a long bow here, but when Deborah Conway namechecks SOTR in the last few lines in this song, it always gives me tingles (and this is a VERY good song, just quietly)

Last edited: