1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Over Sink Shelf for my Wife

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by rdwhitti, Dec 25, 2018.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

This is my first woodworking project so please be gentle. After buying tools and setting up shop my wife has been asking for a shelf over the sink and I finally made her one. I did not want to obstruct the window view so I made it the same height as the window sill, but I think after showing her she had something different in mind with more shelves. Oh well, I'll just tell her this is the prototype and the next one will be to her specifications!

I had planned to use a top and uprights plus a stretcher for rigidity, but I messed up big time and ended up having to cut off the bottom 2" of the uprights, so I improvised and built pedestals for the uprights to stand on. Not very pretty but better than having to start over. And actually the pedestals give it a little extra stability.

IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0530.JPG

DonM likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Are those hooves?

schmee and MuddyDitch like this.
  3. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Ha! Yes they sort of look like it don't they? Thankfully they are mostly hidden when installed over the sink.

I put it over the sink for when my wife came home from hiking and she loves it! Or at least she says that she does. She says it is beautiful.

This woodworking is truly a learning experience. I am sure that I will gain skills and ideas as time goes on, and know what to avoid or to change next time. I think one lesson I learned here is to take my time and be patient; always check and double check before making a cut to make certain that it is what I want before commiting. This is how I messed up the bottoms of the uprights; I cut too quickly before completely visualizing what I was doing, and made the wrong cuts. Another lesson learned is to always take small bites with my router in hardwood; soft woods are one thing and easy to cut, but hardwood can cause problems if the bite is too big. I found that even taking 1/4" deep cuts with a 1/4" straight bit would cause chipping and burning; next time I will sneak up on the cuts, maybe 1/8" at a time, and maybe slow down my router speed too.

Any hints that people want to give would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Silly me, now I see what you are referring to and yes it is a giraffe statue hiding behind the tv.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    bender66 likes this.
  4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Get a woodstove? Works for me.

5. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

For some reason the finish details did not come out right in the pictures. Although there are dark areas the pictures make it look like far more dark than in reality. Actually the wood tone is very nice and looks great, very unlike the pictures.

6. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Danny the best advice I can give you is to make sure it is easily removable! :eek: She may love it today but tomorrow???

DC

Shuster likes this.
  7. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG Pictures installed in the kitchen.

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice job ... I would be very proud to have done that myself

Shuster and RedHills like this.
  9. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Thanks so much that is high praise.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I would NEVER criticize someone's wood projects.....some of mine look like 7th grade woodshop stuff.(which I never took but wish I had) Seeing the INSTALLED photos, yours looks great. Looks good, appears perfectly functional, what more could the missus want?

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Very nice RD. I truly couldn't figure out how you were going to install a sink in that first picture.

rdwhitti and RedHills like this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work & portable. Good job!

I hardly recognize it without a giraffe. :)

rdwhitti likes this.
  13. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I never took shop class in school but have done a fair amount of carpentry type work around the house over the years. This is my first attempt at anything more detailed and exacting.

14. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Thanks for the kind words.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Ha! [emoji846]

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Nice work :)

17. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looks like you got it just right!

DC

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thank you, thank you for the second photograph. I was thinking, “ what the hell’s wrong with this damn I pad, that sink looks like a TV.” o_O

You did some awesome dadoes and edge-routing-round-overs, and nice finish, that’s a great first project! I’m thinking your wife is mucho happy with it, and it’ll be a useful piece as long as you live there!

19. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Oh didn’t you know, that’s the new tv that doubles as a sink (or is it the other way around?). [emoji846] Anyway thanks for the kind words. I was probably a bit too ambitious doing dadoes for my first project but they worked out. I took several router passes and some filing before they fit, and then filled in the gaps with glue and sawdust, but I think they came out rather nice for a first try. Certainly the next will be easier. Ha!

The round-overs took some experimenting on scrap before they looked anywhere near right but I had seen it done in my woodworking class and looked at YT videos.

For the finish I used Danish oil according to the directions and they think it turned out quite well. It was much easier than the directions that I got from YT.

What did we ever do before the internet and YouTube? [emoji16]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  20. JamesMyatt

JamesMyatt TDPRI Member

Looks good I never built anything using mortises my table saw is to crappy to bother buying the blades. Looks good to me. My sure loves my stuff because I built it. Not the prettiest but usually indescribable lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.