(Over) compensated saddles?

badscrew_projects

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
This is about those 3 saddle tele bridges and the replacement saddles that are supposed to make the intonation better.

I’ve installed the 3 Wilkinson saddles with staggered edges and what I’ve got after installing them isn’t better than straight saddles! They introduce way more compensation than needed for the E-B and A-D.

When before the B was too sharp on the 12th fret, now it’s too flat compared to the E. The same is true for the fat E and A.

Anyone’s having the same problem?

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
I've "several" guitars the majority are 6 string saddles, staggered 3 and 3, but I have a Tele with top E and B identical lengths. Weird! I think it can depend on the strings. So maybe try another set.

I also have an LPJ with a wrap around bridge, it has perfect intonation, HOW on earth does it work? I think it's rounder at bottom E and flattens out as it gets to top E and the thickness of the string lets bridge contact of D be further forward of G. Dunno, it's magic, acquired at the crossroads, possibly?

Doug

Last edited:

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
What string gauges are you guys using?
I've got the Wilkinson saddles on two Teles, and Gotoh InTune on one - and they all intonate just fine with my GHS Boomers 11-50 strings (and definitely better than with straight saddles).

badscrew_projects

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
What string gauges are you guys using?
I've got the Wilkinson saddles on two Teles, and Gotoh InTune on one - and they all intonate just fine with my GHS Boomers 11-50 strings (and definitely better than with straight saddles).
9’s on this particular tele

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I think most compensated saddles are designed with a .010-.046" set in mind, but I also find that they work with with .011s and even .012s, as long as the G isn't wound.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I am a lucky one, my 2017 AmPro has Wilkinson saddles and it intonates pretty good knock wood.

I tried some different saddles, boutique-ey ones in fact, and went back to the Wilkinsons just to keep it stock, I can use the other saddles for other projects.

BrettFuzz

Tele-Meister
Some guitars simply don't need compensation. I replaced the 6 saddle bridge with a 3 saddle one on my MIM and used Wilkinson compensated saddles only to find out that I could not get it intonated properly. I should have known that because the 6 saddles fully intonated were almost in a perfect straight line. So, what I did is just flip the Wilkinson saddles over to the other uncompensated side and my intonation is great now.

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
Gotoh user here, on a set of 9-46. Intonates fine for me 👍
Just got these. Which way are they supposed to go? One half has a forward notch and the other has a rear. So they can be installed two different ways. Which way is the intended way for them to go?

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Does this help??

FA967029-F54E-43F2-AD04-13B9FB096EEF.png

badscrew_projects

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
After some time with this setup, I can confirm that it works better than the previous all-three compensated saddles.

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
I've "several" guitars the majority are 6 string saddles, staggered 3 and 3, but I have a Tele with top E and B identical lengths. Weird! I think it can depend on the strings. So maybe try another set.

I also have an LPJ with a wrap around bridge, it has perfect intonation, HOW on earth does it work? I think it's rounder at bottom E and flattens out as it gets to top E and the thickness of the string lets bridge contact of D be further forward of G. Dunno, it's magic, acquired at the crossroads, possibly?

Doug
I get that; my Gretsch G6120-1960 has the uncompensated 'rocking bar' bridge and intonates surprisingly well, as did my old '57 Junior. That said acoustic players manage with barely any saddle compensation. I think we can get a little over-obsessive with these things!

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
I rolled my Wilkinson saddles over and use them as standard barrels. I make small adjustments to the string height to fine tune them.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I had slanted Wilkinson saddles and they intonated great. I swapped to the Gotoh saddles and they're perfect, also.