Over 65 & Exercise

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
At 66 my exercise is doing the “Honey Do”list. Last summer I built her an arbor
65044161-8E3B-43DB-A531-376CE91E2768.jpeg

Jaysmay

TDPRI Member
I won't be any help. A heart attack on Memorial Day didn't get me motivated. I am doing cardiac rehab now, but my motivation is not getting yelled at by the staff if I don't show up. My new exercise bike is covered with dust. A puppy or two will straighten you right out.
I suffered a widow maker 12-24-21.

The odds of survival that type of event are 2-6%. Fortunately my wife drove me to the hospital and the event happened in the ER with a Dr standing over me, I was without a heartbeat for 15 minutes. I was stabilized and sent to another hospital where I was in a induced coma for 4 days. during those 4 days my wife was told I had 50/50 chance to survive, then a 50/50 chance of being mentally and physically close to where I had been. 22 days in out of hospital for this, a Stent surgical procedure where I almost bled out, and falling and hitting my head from all the drugs I’m on.

I went through Rehab, before all this I thought I was in good shape, I worked out, I watched what I ate. I was no match for my DNA, my family history. I didn’t miss a day except when I got COVID. Rehab thought me how to raise and lower my heart rate, what to do. I’ve changed my diet, and decreased my alcohol intake reluctantly. I’ve lost 15 lbs, gone down a pant size and I work out almost every day 1-2 hours PF… 10 bucks a month.

Next week I’m fly to Austin TX with my wife to see my brother, nephew and hit the town… See David Grissom and others… hoot and holler as much as a 68 year old can. I won’t eat BBQ brisket but stick to chicken…I will hit the sauce too next door at a Tiki Bar! Not BBQ sauce! I am thankful today I get to experience all this.

I’m not your brother, if I was I‘d say suck it up, go to rehab , they have your best interest at HEART. Listen the the dietician. My life is different now but that’s okay. My wife went through hell in all this. I won’t do it to her again.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Peace!

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yikes.

As someone about to turn 59 next month, this thread has made it horrifyingly obvious that walking plays a big part in fitness over 65. 😩

I hate walking .

Or Hiking.

I will find a different way.

But - lotta active people on this board ! 👍🏽

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I suffered a widow maker 12-24-21.

The odds of survival that type of event are 2-6%. Fortunately my wife drove me to the hospital and the event happened in the ER with a Dr standing over me, I was without a heartbeat for 15 minutes. I was stabilized and sent to another hospital where I was in a induced coma for 4 days. during those 4 days my wife was told I had 50/50 chance to survive, then a 50/50 chance of being mentally and physically close to where I had been. 22 days in out of hospital for this, a Stent surgical procedure where I almost bled out, and falling and hitting my head from all the drugs I’m on.

I went through Rehab, before all this I thought I was in good shape, I worked out, I watched what I ate. I was no match for my DNA, my family history. I didn’t miss a day except when I got COVID. Rehab thought me how to raise and lower my heart rate, what to do. I’ve changed my diet, and decreased my alcohol intake reluctantly. I’ve lost 15 lbs, gone down a pant size and I work out almost every day 1-2 hours PF… 10 bucks a month.

Next week I’m fly to Austin TX with my wife to see my brother, nephew and hit the town… See David Grissom and others… hoot and holler as much as a 68 year old can. I won’t eat BBQ brisket but stick to chicken…I will hit the sauce too next door at a Tiki Bar! Not BBQ sauce! I am thankful today I get to experience all this.

I’m not your brother, if I was I‘d say suck it up, go to rehab , they have your best interest at HEART. Listen the the dietician. My life is different now but that’s okay. My wife went through hell in all this. I won’t do it to her again.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Peace!

Glad you’re still here ! Grissom is so great/always an aggressive gnarly tone !
Have fun

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
One of those treadmills where you can watch videos might work. Or not...

homerworkeout500.gif

Exercise has been a problem for me since my hip got messed up in a car accident in 2010. I try to walk regularly but it tends to cause pain if I overdo it.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Yikes.

As someone about to turn 59 next month, this thread has made it horrifyingly obvious that walking plays a big part in fitness over 65. 😩

I hate walking .

Or Hiking.

I will find a different way.

But - lotta active people on this board ! 👍🏽
I have a hard time if it's not fun or interesting. Getting great earbuds with the noise cancelling and transparency and hearing aid mode really helped. Right now an October 1 injury has only gotten worse so while not on a bike a mix of pathways and balance exercise help me keep the motion going.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Motivation is easy enough; regularly waking up in the morning and realizing that things aren't working quite as well as they did before is hard to ignore. On the bright side, the list of what can be counted as exercise grows ever longer; walking to the store, raking leaves, kneading bread, turning the compost, playing guitar etc. The thought of a few hours of full court basketball, on the other hand, is a distant memory.

Winky

Tele-Holic
I've been a cyclist all my life. At 61, I'm not about to stop. It is great low impact exercise, and it gets you places you need to go. Many of my vacations are cycling-related. Gravel bike-packing or going on organized roadie tours in Europe. I commuted by bike for 15 years, every day, summer and winter 20-30km each way. The motivation was that I needed to get to work and home again. Just those base-miles kept me in great shape. Motivation is a bit harder to come by now that I work from home and am semi-retired, but I am still a very active cyclist.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m a mere 63 years old, but I’ll answer anyway.

My buddy Shelby nags me into three walks a day, which make for most of my 10,000 steps. Walkies are non-negotiable except in the absolute worse weather.
View attachment 1054228

On top of the walkies base load, I bought a new road bike last March to celebrate getting knocked off the old one by a drunk in an SUV the previous August. I don’t really need motivation to ride, I’m more than happy to sneak out of work and put in some miles. As I posted in another thread, I rode over a thousand miles this year.

Just this afternoon, I started PT for the neck injury I sustained using my face to stop after the aforementioned SUV sent me flying through the air. It is hoped that PT, massage, and stretching will improve my neck and maybe cure the numbness I have in my thumbs, index, and middle fingers. I suspect I’m going to need something to motivate me into doing the 30-60 minutes of stretching every day. Improving my fingers’ motor control (and presumably, my guitar playing) should be motivation enough, but probably not. Stretching exercises are boring.
This works great for the numbness in the
hands. The Marcy Wedge. Not Expensive.
Keep mine on a small footstool next to
where I listen to Music. Start with 20 reps
each hand - you're gonna be AMAZED how
fast you'll get it back.
Pass it on Everyone.
The Marcy Wedge.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A friend told me he bought a treadmill to get some exercise. That was fun for a while but didn’t last. Then he divided a bike would be better so he would be enjoying the outdoors. That didn’t last either so he got the idea to put the bike on the treadmill. Now he logs 10 miles a day

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
I had spinal fusion surgery about a year and a half ago. I am basically learning to walk again. Physical therapy twice a week and I go to the gym at least once a week. Walk the neighborhood daily. It can be a grind but the goal is to get back to normal.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I've amassed a collection of stents, my most recent in August of this year. They offered cardiac rehab, and I took them up on it. I'm in the 10th of 12 weeks. I show up by 7:30 AM and am out between 8:30 and 9 AM.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
Not quite 65. Most of my exercise comes from either coaching or playing soccer. Armoured combat took aa back seat when my children started playing.

Playing, most of the players are half my age or so.

But there's a new goal. The varsity coach has said that if he can't do 61 pushups in a minute, his assistant will take over. That's next July. We're the same age (I'm the JV coach). I can only do about 45, but he's not going to outdo me. Sadly, we both already outdo most of the HS players.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've been a cyclist all my life. At 61, I'm not about to stop. It is great low impact exercise, and it gets you places you need to go. Many of my vacations are cycling-related. Gravel bike-packing or going on organized roadie tours in Europe. I commuted by bike for 15 years, every day, summer and winter 20-30km each way. The motivation was that I needed to get to work and home again. Just those base-miles kept me in great shape. Motivation is a bit harder to come by now that I work from home and am semi-retired, but I am still a very active cyclist.

Yes ! This is encouraging

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m 71 but I figured 65 was a reasonable place to start.
My shrink informed me after talking about doing things and get fatigued , (I'm 74) Your getting older, knock knock,
who's there?
elderly?
elderly who?

elderly, that's you dude!
oh yeah I'm seventy four .
Since having experience a two year stint of that which shall not be mentioned and being told that I'm luck to be alive by a very cool Doctor, I feel like is really aged me, fatique just walking to the store and carrying the groceries and by the time I had walked the to and from , 1/2 mile from the store, I'm shot laying down exhausted aching muscles , short of breath spaced out. So the exercise advice is just keep breathing and go for walks , refreshing walks, no sierra club forced marches to the top of the Berkeley hills, Lawrence hall of science walks.
It's weird having had a life full of energy and a memory of that youthful:
"this is never going to be exhausted" endless supply of energy, to this while still habitually expecting that state of fitness to return after a meal and a good nights sleep, but is doesn't work that way any more, ...hmmm.... but?.....

elderly your getting older, elderly this is the fourth quarter of your lifes game, the Energizer bunny is losing its's charge the old cooper top is fading fading fading fading out.

and this is your naked lunch , ping ping , either live it or live with it ! Seeing clearly what's on the end of your fork with acceptance.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Biking, mountain biking, hiking/climbing, swimming, walking, tossing a baseball or football with a buddy; all are good for keeping toned and maintaining a bright outlook. As mentioned before, taking up disc golf coincided with my retirement and I can't get enough, it's a great combo of good exercise and learning a whole new sport with friends and family!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Walk a couple of miles in the morning and again in the afternoon. My dog is 15 and still enjoys the walks in the park. We are both slow, but cover the distance. Started being able to make it around the block and gradually increased the distance.