1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Over 50? Go Get A Shingles Vaccine!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Feb 26, 2021.

1. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

My pharmacy offered me one about 8 months ago, and I laughed it off!

I figured, If I get some little rash, I'll just put some calamine on it and walk it off!

Last Wednesday, I was crawling around in the grass taking macros, and the next morning, I had some little bumps on my right inner bicep.

I just wrote it off as bug bites and went on with my day.

The next day, it was doubled in size, but not red or painful, so I continued to treat it like a bug bite.

I woke up Saturday morning and it had spread into my underarm, down my rib cage, around my back and across my chest.

It was bright red, covered with blisters and hurt like crazy!

Doctor said it was the worst case of shingles he had ever seen and it might take weeks to months before I'm back to normal.

If you are offered a shingles vaccine, TAKE IT! You're not as tough as you think you are!

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yes, yes, yes...get one

drf64, Ronzo and JL_LI like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have an appointment soon. I had already planned on it.

drf64, Ronzo and JL_LI like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Had shingles around 20 , no fun. I still have a numb patch on the side of my neck , climbing up to the bottom of my earlobe , from it. I looked like I had leprosy or something, at the time, and I remember being very very sensitive to light.

ugh

best wishes in your recovery

5. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I only get it in one place - my right ear - and it hurts like a mofo when it flares up.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Yikes. Noted.

7. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I had shingles over Christmas, I was very lucky though because I spotted it immediately, had an online consultation that night and started medication the next day. I really didn't know much about it before I got it, I certainly didn't realise it was just a reactivation of the chicken pox virus and anyone who ever had chickenpox could get it out of the blue.

I've heard horror stories of people getting the rash around their eyes and going blind. So yes, everyone who can get a vaccine for it should get one!

Ronzo, JL_LI and rob1168 like this.
  8. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

You may in fact have the worst, but I know lots and lots of people who said it hurt just as bad. Get the vaccine!

Ronzo likes this.
  9. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

My right underarm and ribs look and feel like raw hamburger.

This stuff is no joke.

Ronzo and JL_LI like this.
  10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Got my second shot in January. Shingles is scary stuff.

11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes! To be taken very seriously - I saw it debilitate my mother for months and I'm definitely getting my shot!

12. rob1168

rob1168 TDPRI Member

I do believe I will be looking into this, never had chickenpox as a kid, and thought I must have lucked out.. that is until I caught it at 32 and itched so bad I thought I might need to borrow my dogs protective collar after she had surgery to prevent knowing Myself in my sleep.. I didn't know shingles was reactivated chickenpox turned up to 10?? Indeed I will be checking into the vac for this..

13. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

It is sort of like a bamboo shoot underneath all the affected area. Radiates in. Radiates out. Pain varies, but it is really good at long chronic pain bouts. When you get a cold, a rash, you kind of know what the story is, where your comfort level is. This pr&*ck of a disease, f%&ks with you. Like on purpose. Picture the guy in silence of the lambs screaming in your face, "wanna feel PAIN", and it is given. Yes sir re, get a shot. It is amazing their is a vaccine for this. People make such hoopla of the vaccines. I can tell ya a lot of us are here because of vaccines, especially above the age of 60.

Ronzo, JL_LI and Electric Warrior like this.
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, freak of freaks, I am 65 and never got Chicken Pox. I showed a home to a client and while leaving, I hear, hope you guys had Chicken Pox. It was a child day care center. I felt like I just walked through a covid spreading event, standing room only.

Alex_C and rob1168 like this.
  15. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I was offered one at my last doctor's visit, but couldn't get it due to being a week from my 2nd Covid shot. Thanks for the reminder. I need to go get it.

rob1168 likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My wife and I were visiting my son and DIL in Texas. We decided to visit a rose garden in the nearly insufferable heat. The next day, flying home, I thought I’d gotten sun burned. The next day it got worse. Sun burn gets better, not worse. And this was on the left side of my face only. By the third day I was on fire and went to the ER. The new students and residents start their rotations in July. The young’n’ who looked at me didn’t know what was wrong and got a more senior resident who didn’t know either. In comes the attending who tells the young’n’ to round everyone up. He began the Q&A until one of them guessed shingles.

Get a shot. Shingles is like being scalded repeatedly for a week. Get a shot.

My wife and I both had shingles boosters this year. We got our flu and pneumonia shots and have had both Moderna COVID shots. Shingles won’t kill you. It’ll just make your life miserable. The others can be deadly. Get vaccinated for yourself and others.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    rob1168, Stubee, Ronzo and 1 other person like this.
  17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    rob1168 and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant Tele-Meister

It is also possible to get shingles on the eye-- a herpes zoster corneal ulcer. The older one is the less complete the recovery tends to be. How's that for a pro vs con? ;) (retired optometrist here.)

rob1168 likes this.
  19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I'm due for my second in a month or two. Thanks for helping spread awareness.

farmcaster and Ronzo like this.
  20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A friend got the first one then got a mild case of shingles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.