1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ovations, Songs we've all played, Great Stars at Early Ages

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Feb 28, 2021.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I never got to see PPL with Craig Fuller. I did see the later Vince Gill version several times in clubs and as opening acts. The ubiquitous Ovation guitar.. this popped up this morning and I thought... that is SO long ago.

Kinda funny to think Vinnie singing Amie all those years, miles and life ago, would now be living with Amy!

2. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Ovation also made electrics back in the day.

3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I still have my Celebrity - intro level Asian made Ovation. Full bowl back. It's my only acoustic.

It sounds good, but it tends to spin because there is no flat back.

4. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I remember my uncle had an Ovation and decided to clean it up. He put Armor All on the back of it. It was fun to play after that, you could play guitar and get a core workout in at the same time.

3fngrs and P Thought like this.
  5. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

The comments to this video are comedy gold, Jerry, gold!

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

schmee likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Amy: always a great song I thought.

getbent likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a red strat shaped Ovation about 20 years ago. I really liked the maple/rosewood neck on it. I discovered the body was plywood though!

9. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I still have my ‘72 Balladeer (deep bowl)that I bought new in ‘73. It was my only acoustic until I bought a Martin D-16GT in 2012. I tried to sell it years ago but the one guy who really wanted it saw 2 finish cracks up near the headstock and he backed out thinking it was in the wood. Otherwise, it’s near mint. So I decided to keep it although it rarely gets played. It originally had one of those cheap cardboard cases and I decided that I would at least give it a proper Ovation hard shell case when I saw a used one at a fair price.

For many years I thought it sounded quite good until I was jamming with my son and his Taylor 210. That’s when I realized that the Ovation wasn’t as full sounding as I initially thought. I do still use it with a sound hole pickup from time to time when I play at some children’s Christmas parties. I don’t have to worry about some kid on a sugar high running around and bumping into it or knocking it over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.