outstanding tele neck pickup (that's not the Dimarzio Twang King)?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by appar111, Sep 25, 2019.

1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Looking for a really great tele neck pickup for an esquire, and I've tried the Dimarzio Twang King and Dimarzio True Velvet before. I really liked them both, but I'm looking for something less stratty sounding. I've also tried the Fender CS Nocaster neck pickup-- liked that one a lot too, but it's still more trebly. I think I'd like to try something more traditionally "tele" like for the neck pickup; something a little more warm sounding.

I'm thinking maybe something from Fender's Pure Vintage series? Or may be a Seymour Duncan STR-1? I know the STR-1 is supposed to have the brass cover, which would definitely roll off the highs.

Any other good recommendations that are readily available? I think that rules out Don Mare's stuff (he's up to a 12 week wait time now-- youch! Glad that business is going great for him though!)

Would love to hear of other options-- thanks!

J.

2. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I really like the ‘64 but it will be too trebly for you. How about a ‘52 for readily available?

3. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

The '52 from the AVRI (or whatever they call it today) is a little more rolled off, isn't it? That should only be about $45-50 on Ebay if I can snag one that's not part of a set

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cavalier Lion King or Fat Lion King. @roknfnrol has some excellent demos on YouTube. I have some demos on my channel, too. Thank me later.

5. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Doesn't seem like the Lion King would be what I'm looking for:

The Lion King - The Lion King offers unfettered vintage tone for those wishing the aesthetic look of the Tele® covered neck pickup, with more treble on tap than a typical Tele neck pickup.

The Fat Lion King would be hotter and more midrangey than what I'm looking for:

The Fat Lion King - The Fat Lion King offers more output and more midrange that its Lion King brother, for those wishing a bolder Tele® neck pickup tone and output.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Don Mare - his 53 or 54, order and wait. Resale should be quick if you do not like! Or look for used.

nocastermike, Wallaby and BB like this.
  7. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Check out Bootstrap for an excellent Tele neck pup at an unbelievable price. As far as Don Mare pickups go, I can attest to the incredible tones of his 53 neck pup. I have one paired with his Nancy bridge in a partscaster and it's simply a splendid Tele neck pup.

thegreatshocka and PingGuo like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Squier CVC neck pickups. I have a bunch in my parts bin because I love em that much, just not enough to install them I guess lol.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Mincer likes this.
  10. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Unfortunately what you need is a Don Mare 53. 12 weeks? Good luck.
    An OC Duff Slab'ster with a brass cover is also a thing of beauty.

11. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Have a look at Lollar pickups.
    Very nice sounding pickups IMO.

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

For the neck pickup sound you describe, a Seymour Duncan Antiquity will give you exactly what you're looking for. Brass cover, rolled off highs, etc.

fenderchamp, uriah1 and Mincer like this.
  13. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Yeah, the STR-1 indeed has a brass cover, and is my choice for a great neck pickup that is absolutely not Stratty...at least when a humbucker like the Seth Lover isn't being considered. :)

14. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

OP, the neck pickups you mentionioned (DiMarzio TK, TV) are my favorites too. I'd include Fender's OV. For less Stratty, a Texas Special does it for me. It works great in a band mix, or solitary.

15. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

There are a ton of great choices. Don's 54 is unreal. Lindy Fralins vintage neck pickup also sounds outrageous. No waiting on lindy either.

16. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

There are loads of options at loads of differnt prices. I have a very nice Benson neck pickup in a project guitar. I emailed him for info on it and he responded immediately. He makes pickups to order and will even Taylor the output exactly to what you want. And his prices are very reasonable.

17. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

I used to hate brass-covered neck pickups when I started on this page about 22 years ago but have come around to enjoying the mellow sound of brass-covered neck pickups in the last 5 years. Especially when playing in church for a couple years, where treble was NOT something I wanted.

The basic Duncan '54 neck pickup will work, as would the Duncan Alnico II or Duncan 5-2 neck pickups. I have a Van Zandt neck pickup (which comes without a cover) onto which I have installed a Duncan brass cover and it works great. In another guitar I have a pair of Duncan Vintage Stacks (my quiet and buzz-free church guitar) and the neck pickup has a brass cover. I also have a Duncan Quarter Pounder with stock brass cover in a hotrod tele and it is fat and non-trebly.

Mincer and mexicanyella like this.
  18. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I am a huge fan of the Duncan APTR-1 Alnico Pro II. It's everything a tele neck should be to me, but I tend to prefer the woolier, "too muddy" classic tele neck sound more than most it seems. So it may be just what you're looking for. It can be round and warm, but I never feel like I'm wanting for definition with it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Hiker and Mincer like this.
  19. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

A Wolf or She Wolf would be better for what you want. The Wolf is the covered one.

The She Wolf - The She Wolf is an uncovered, Tele® neck pickup that's wound with 42AWG coil wire (instead of the normal 43AWG Tele® neck coil wire) and offers yet a bit more Strat® type of treble tone because there is no ground shield cover. Supplied with body or pickguard mounting screws and height tubing

preactor likes this.
  20. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

Arcane 42 Experience. It doesn't get more Straty, and works well with the common bridge singles, and even humbuckers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.