Outdoor Grilling

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 14, 2019.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

You're more than welcome to visit :)!

For this cheese dish (called 'raclette'), anywhere in the south-western canton of Valais will do if you make it over here. Other parts of the country make it differently, by putting slices of cheese into tiny frying pans and cooking it on a table top grill. Also nice, but not the same.

Good luck if you try it at home! Making it in front of the fire is trickier than the electric or gas grills that cook the cheese from above, but it's a lot of fun by a fire. Keep the stone cool by either having several and swapping them out, or by rinsing it with cold water every so often. If the stone gets too hot, the entire cheese will melt into a greasy mess.
    I don't know how easily you can find an appropriate cheese, but I'm sure something will work out :).

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Can I have a well done steak

Toto'sDad and william tele like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If you put ketchup on it, I'm calling shenanigans!

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

What about Sri racha if he bought cheap steaks

24 track likes this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Yeah, it works fine. I scraped all the old burnt grease off the bottom and cleaned up the rest of it. The lighter thing was broke so I just use a long nose lighter.

Just got a propane tank and I was good to go!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  6. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Barbecue University was a show on public television a few years ago hosted by Steven Raichlan who has won many awards and authored many cookbooks. Always made me hungry. Maybe the episodes are still available somewhere.

voodoostation likes this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’m a huge fan of the “Weber’s Big Book of Grilling” book. Lots of cool information on both charcoal & gas grilling
    I had always been a charcoal guy until I got a huge gas grill for my 50th birthday. Luckily there were several gas chefs at the party to help set me straight. Then I got the book

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

If you really haven't done much before, start off with hamburgers and sausage. I prefer the charcoal approach, but there are hickory, mesquite, and other wood chips to add that can be helpful for more flavor - try it and see what you like. Hamburgers and sausage typically don't take very long. Or fajitas, even. Fairly easy. Plenty of recipes online.

Chicken: best to start with a cut up bird. Cooking a whole bird takes patience and good heat management. Quail are pretty easy going, some folks like to wrap them in bacon and stuff with a jalapeño.

Shish-ka-bob? Yes! grilling veggies is relatively easy and a nice way to round out the protein.

Once you get the feel for it, move on to more expensive cuts, if that's your preference. pork chops, loin, pork tenderloin, steaks, etc.

Apple, cherry, apricot and other fruit tree woods can be used as well - for my two cents these work well with fish, as in smoked trout, smoked salmon, etc.

This thread should make you hungry.

william tele and drlucky like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Being in BC, I grill salmon as much as anything else. My favourite way is on a soaked cedar plank:

[​IMG]

It's easy to overcook fish and the cedar slows it down. You can even wrap the whole thing in foil.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I grill salmon fillets at least once a week, but directly on the grate. I put olive oil on both sides beforehand so it won't stick (plus kosher salt and black pepper on the flesh side), and grill it over high heat for four minutes on each side, flesh side first. Works every time.

11. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

What about those pads that you grill meat on so it doesn't touch the grill or flames? I have one but have not tried it yet.

12. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

My nephew said he doesn't like the taste of meat cooked in a propane grill. He says he can taste the propane.

I don't mind it myself and he's kinda weird anyway.

13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

You'd get more predictable results by bringing an electric stove and oven outdoors.

14. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

the old imaginary propane spice...weird indeed

most free BBQ.s have worn out burners that are too expensive to replace or can't be found to replace ...check the burners and if they're worn with large holes you could be playing with DANGER!!

15. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Naw...the burners are OK. The people who had it before were too lazy to try to clean the grease on the bottom of the thing.

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I bought one of these and I love it

welcome_image.jpg

excellant for home made pizzas

studio1087 and william tele like this.
  17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Part of the "grilled" flavor comes from the drippings that fall onto the coals (charcoal) or the hot metal tent above the burner (gas) and vaporize, so I wouldn't want one.

I suppose it would prevent asparagus spears and mushroom slices from falling through the grate, but I have a metal basket for that.

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've used mine for veggies and shrooms on both charcoal and gas, and over charcoal you could probably still get decent flavor with some meats...but not on gas.

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The thing I hate about my gas grill is that it is ventilated by the space between the lid and grill. There's no way to manage flare ups by limiting air. The next gas grill I get will have a floor much deeper so grease dripping won't ignite so easily.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Here in Australia outdoor patios and outdoor cooking have been a way of life for many years. Having a climate like California and Santa Anna type winds and fires, we are restricted to gas fro October to April.
    It's a good way to cook, enjoy a beer, share cooking tasks, food with family, friends and neighbours. I could not imagine a Christmas indoors and with hot foods. That's just how we live and it's a good way to enjoy summer. Cheers!

jannodude, LutherBurger and perttime like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.