Outdoor gig today... Rambling thoughts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Played through the provided backline. Which was an antique Matchless amp, and a pedalboard with not one, but TWO Klons, and some other super expensive stuff.

It sounded really, really good. Actually, pretty amazing.

How amazing?

So amazing, I almost got sucked in to thinking "maybe I need this stuff, after all..."

But then I thought about what it would cost me for a rig like that. And I honestly have no idea what a rig like that would cost me. But I know it would be a lot. Like, a WHOLE lot. Tons. Many pounds of quarters.

Then I thought about my favorite 90's Marshall, and my favorite Bandit. And how they sound pretty good, too.

Not quite that great. There was an easily quantifiable difference.

I'd be totally willing to spend an extra thousand bucks over what I have into both those amps, to get what I had today. But I couldn't get close to that rig for that money. Couldn't even get in the same room with it.

Thinking about it, this is happening a lot to me lately. The sonic difference just doesn't match up to the $$ difference on all of this expensive stuff I used to covet. Maybe it would be different if my gear didn't make me really happy, but it does.

I've gotten to the point where I think of my gear the way I think about my car-

I like my car. A lot. It does exactly what I want it to do. It looks nice. It's comfortable. It doesn't cost me a lot of money.

I see other cars. They are much nicer than my car in a lot of ways. They also cost a LOT more. My car cost about $16k, brand new last month. It works great. It's not fancy.

I think about stuff like high performance. Hand stitched interiors. All those bells and whistles. Electronic gadgetry. Cars that park themselves. Cars that do everything but fetch the paper. Cars that ride so smooth, it's like cloud surfing on a bed of kittens. I think all that stuff is nice. I'd even be willing to pay for some of it. But not what it costs. The difference just isn't that big.

I was talking with a friend recently who was wishing away that he could afford the car he really wants. It's almost $70k. I remarked that I'd never, ever, spend that much money on a vehicle. He said "you would if you had the money to spend". I said no, I don't think I would. Is it better? Sure. Any idiot can tell that it is. And I'm a fairly typical idiot, so... but is it $54k better? For something I'm gonna drive around farting and listening to the Dead in? I dunno man, I just don't see it.

Anyhow, I've reached a bit of Gear enlightenment. And that's kind of how it worked. Happy Saturday!

Tele1966, JustABluesGuy, tery and 9 others like this.
  2. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Soooo....are you "hooked" or "unhooked"?
    Solid with firm footing or......"wavering" a tad?

Jakedog likes this.
  3. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Soooo....are you "hooked" or "unhooked"?
    Solid with firm footing or......"wavering" a tad?

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife and I are coming to similar realizations as we plan the renovation of our kitchen and living/dining room.

Hardwood floors would be nice, but we can't justify the expense. Same with the refrigerators, range, and sink fixtures.

It's funny, though. My wife was trying to convince me the other day that maybe I should sell my Peavey Delta Blues, because it's getting heavy, and buy something smaller but much better. I thought about a '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue, but I just can't justify the cost, and it's not really an expensive amp.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You know that feeling? That feeling you get when you look at others peoples stuff and DON'T want it? You realize your stuff does everything it needs too?

That feeling is called "geezing". It's usually prededed by thirty or forty years of drooling over, and sometimes buying everything new and shiny.

Welcome...it's a relatively slow process. Go with it....:)

6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I feel the want. As a bed room player, my old stuff works pretty good. Nothing wrong with admiring the new even if its old.

Its the same but different.;)

I like old stuff, ever more when it works like its supposed too.

The "new" car gets the same film on the windshield as the old one does. We don't smoke. Whats up with that?o_O

Its still a good day. Ramble on.

kuvash and Jakedog like this.
  7. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister

I don't know man, sounds like you have out grown your old kit.
    Your a better guitar player now then you were when you got your kit together.

I hear ya regarding not wanting to spend the extra money.

Life is short. It's always moveing forward. Put it together a little at a time. Thank me latter. :rolleyes:

8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

That's a great line! Mark that down in your lyrics idea book.

I suspect that if you carted your 'Bandit' and other gear into that gig with an A/B switch you could match all that fancy stuff with a little knob tweaking. You could match it closer than you are thinking right now. Some of the tone might have even included the weather and the particular audience that was there.

The philosophical end of the telescope is really that you realize the work and effort it takes to slave for that loan to own that fancy car and the freedom to do as you want is more important. Vastly more important. I lived for years in a functional but much smaller house than I could afford so I had that freedom. In fact a good friend of mine dubbed it 'the freedom house', he got one himself, because otherwise you are working a job or two or three and fearful any slip or change with the boss or that employer and the banker owns your roof. Keep on keeping your sights on freedom.

JustABluesGuy and Jakedog like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like good old music maturity to me. I spend most of my days working in other people's homes (often lake houses) where the custom dining room table might cost more than I earn in 6 months. It used to bother me about 20 years ago, but now I just ask myself why? Will my pizza taste that much better off an antique redwood tree plank embossed with Irish pennies?

I keep finding myself simplifying all my music gear rather than adding to it and have never been happier.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

There's a lot to be said for the 80/20 rule (80% of the functionality for 20% of the cost). There's also a lot to be said for appreciating the stuff you have rather than always wanting what's on the next rung up the ladder. Guy Clark wrote a pretty good song about it:

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I feel the same....Im certainly not a Pro like you , but its the same with most things , not just music stuff.
    I have actually wondered if its because lf me getting older.
    When motorbikes pass me , I no longer start to think about getting one. I like to look at them , but thats it...That one is probably age related...
    I could afford most nice Les Pauls if I really wanted one , but my Studios do nicely. I like to look at the fancy models , but really dont feel the need to own one...
    Same with Teles , I have more than enough great ones , still like to look at them though...
    I have way too many amps as it is , often I really dont know what to bring with me.
    Pedals , I could probably do much better , but my old Boss pedals really do the job for me....

My sons race cars , I help them out , but I no longer feel the " want " thing myself.....I like to look at the wonderful cars they race , and look at the ones they race against ....but..
    Certain home improvements must be done , or the place would fall apart , but its nothing that I feel exited about.
    Only thing I could be interested in going out to buy
    could be a vintage car of some kind , but that would be so the wife and I could attend meetings and rallies as a fun hobby.....
    Yeah , Im probably just getting old , LOL

Milspec, JustABluesGuy and Jakedog like this.
  12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I out grew it all when I retired and could no longer afford to want, want, want.

Tele1966 and Jakedog like this.
  13. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Funny thing is , there was a time when I sold everything but 1 guitar , because I needed the money.
    Even used a borrowed amp for two years or so.....
    Back then I really had the " want " going on , big time..
    Now that I could actually afford most of the stuff I dreamed about back then , I really cant be bothered:)

14. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Every time I think about trading in my 10 year old car for something nice and new, I look at what that money could get me in the flat vintage guitar market.

So I'm driving an old car but the 59 335 makes up for it:cool::D.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Yep, lots of posts pointing to maturity-related "freedom" from "want". I bet you've more than passed the half-way-to-retirement point. I have, and its bitter sweet to grow old, but receive a few dividends in balance.

Chicago Matt and Jakedog like this.
  16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

The only thing I can see a regular type of guitarist splurging on would be a good acoustic. Two grand and up on a Martin D-18 or a Gibson J-45 seems like money well spent. But maybe that's because I'm looking for one! You know, maybe a Martin dread is analogous to a Fender amp with the scooped mids and the Gibby is more like a Marshall.

Ramble on.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For me it's a matter of what things I care about. I care about guitars and amps, and have some very nice ones. On the other hand, cars are mostly a matter of transportation to me. The only one I ever liked was a turbo New Beetle. And since I moved to a city with good public transport, I haven't owned a car in years and don't mind a bit.

So I am very superior about how I can turn my nose up at fancy automobiles. But put me in a room with an old Tele and some tweed and my knees turn to jelly and my hand reflexively reaches for my wallet.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Jakedog,,sounds like you had the fever but then managed to get your head back on straight again..You will find that in most cases musicians usually have what they want rather then what they need..HA,HA,,
    I've had the fever more than once myself..

Jakedog likes this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Retirement is a fanciful land of unicorns and leprechauns. I'm a musician. My retirement plan is to play until I keel over dead on stage, and hope I don't get too sick before that happens.

FenderGyrl, Chicago Matt and Steve 78 like this.
  20. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It was almost 20 years ago that I thought $1250 for 1 x 12" 40 watt combo amp was a ludicrous expenditure. But there I was, looking for a new amp, knowing that I had bought decent gear in the past only to end up selling it, loosing money, and spending more on a new amp that was a little better than what I owned.

That day, nearly 20 years ago, I decided to stop the madness and went $1250 for a Rivera Chubster 40 amp. I haven't even considered switching since then.

Not only have I been thoroughly happy with the sound, I have actually saved money in the long run because I'm no longer buying and selling and taking a small loss on each transaction.

Is an amp that truly speaks to you worth it? Absolutely.
    Is an amp that allows you to make your expressions in a way no other amp can, a "must have?" Yes!

Buy the rig. Save money in the long run. 20 years later and I haven't looked back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.