Out of the basement ... Finally!

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Slickster, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

After a few years of jamming in the basement it's time to officially step out and play. I teamed up with a friend and started a little acoustic thing. We picked up a cajon player on craigslist and put together some originals. We've played a few open mics over the last month and landed three one-hour gigs for August. We've got an hour set ready to go. We put together a look, and a musical style, and are ready to start. Unfortunately, the tele is still in the basement, but at least I'm out! I'm on the right with the Gibson, no shredding or fancy playing for me, just trying to hold down the rhythm with the cajon. Started playing guitar late in life and finally playing a gig at 50 yrs old! Now I understand the rush! Tonight is our first official show.

Here's a couple videos from an open mic (phone videos, not great)

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Tonight? Awesome!

"Stub a toe!" *

* less painful than the usual showbiz well wishes of "break a leg!".

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Best of luck.
    Hope you make a hunnerd dollers.

~ ST

4. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

That's great. Nice sound and cool look. You guys look like you're supposed to be on stage.

5. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

That is so cool! Better late than never, and it's never too late to start. I was a bit late starting myself, and it's a thrill to finally get out of the basement. For me, there's little point in learning a song (or 45 songs) unless I'm gonna play it in front of someone else.

So how did the show go?

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good for you man!! Sharing/playing music you enjoy or even write is its own special thing. You simply cant describe it to anyone who doesn't understand or know and thats ok because its not for everyone anyway. Dont worry about a late start. I'm 52 and would jump at the chance to form a fusion band if not for my soul-sucking job. Good luck in your musical endeavors!!!

7. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Thanks guys, I had a great time. Playing a gig is a blast ... what a rush!

It's almost easier to play a full hour than to get up and do three songs at an open mic. You can settle in and enjoy it! I did get to experience a sound man screw up ... played the middle 20 minutes with no guitar in the monitor, couldn't hear a thing. Had to just "imagine" a sound coming from my guitar. Actually survived that without a screw up ... just keep playing!!

8. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Nice stuff. Very cool. I'd have stuck around to listen to that for sure.
    Nice sounds.

9. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Good job.
    And hey, I have that same acoustic, a Songwriter. Excellent guitar, if I don't say so myself.

10. El Cavano

El Cavano Tele-Meister

Very nice.

Deciding to take your music out of the basement is a big deal. I made that same decision a few years ago. Life changing, in a great way.

Best of luck to you.

LC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.