1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Out Of Phase wiring considerations?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by sammy1974, Dec 5, 2020.

1. sammy1974

sammy1974 TDPRI Member

I'm going to wire my second tele w/ neck & bridge pickups out of phase for the middle position.
    What do I need to consider re grounding or hum issues?
    Advice appreciated.

The long version!
    I've had a push-pull pot switch for this o.o.p. option on another tele [tele#1] for a few years now and I love the sound - so much so that I simply never play the middle position in phase anymore. So, my next tele (#2, coming soon) will have it wired o.o.p. permanently, no switch needed. I'd like to do it right. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

No. It's a easy mod. Pick one of your pots for push/pull doesn't matter which one. I used vol. because I use tbx tone pot. There are lots of diagrams on Google. I like having the oop too. Might consider adding a way switch for series options also. For that you do need a separate ground to the neck pup. Easy mod. Videos on YouTube for that. Good luck. Keep on pickin!!!!

sammy1974 likes this.
  3. sammy1974

sammy1974 TDPRI Member

Thanks Billy

I'm wiring this tele (#2) permanently oop, no switch involved.
    Given that, any different suggestions than what you posted ^ ?

[BTW, I have that first tele (#1) also push-pulled for parallel/series on the other pot, which is great.]

4. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

If you want neck,n/b oop,bridge and that's all I think all you need to do I switch the hot and ground wires from one of your pups. That should do it. Shouldn't matter which one.

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One of your pickups needs to have a dedicated bridge/pickup base plate or neck cover ground wire.

In other words, not shared with the neutral coil lead.

SbS and Deaf Eddie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.