1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Out of GAS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TG, Nov 26, 2020.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

This year for a number of reasons I've had 10 guitars come in and 9 guitars go out. I also got 2 new amps and sold 2.
    I spent a lot of fun time doing the searching and researching and I think a lot of it was experiencing the thrill of getting a new guitar like in the old days when they were more expensive and the experience was less frequent. Now, because 'I can', with good quality inexpensive guitars and being pensioner and debt free, it kind of became like shopping therapy.

But these past few weeks I really feel enough is enough and I actually have stopped desiring anything new or different and I'm finding myself just happily playing them...and when I go online Reverb, Thomann and the like aren't my first stop now. In fact, I'm not even online much....too busy playing and doing other stuff.

I almost feel like I should be proud of myself for overcoming 'something'...

Rocky058, Obsessed, howardlo and 10 others like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations. My GAS has passed too (no pun intended). I bought my last electric in 2016, acoustic in 2018, and amp back in March of this year. I am quite satisfied with my current guitars and amps and see no need to play the buy/sell game any longer.

Like you, I’m enjoying spending more time playing than browsing/shopping for more gear. :D

howardlo, paulblackford and TG like this.
  4. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

TG likes this.
  5. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I haven't run out of GAS. I've just run out of ROOM.

6. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I'm selling a lot more than I'm buying.

I have one eye on a melodica, but that's about it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

It took just over 60 years, but I have finally reached a point where I have every guitar I've ever wanted. It's not a massive collection, just models that I love playing. I'm really not seeing anything on the current markey that gets me excited.
    Of course that's today, who knows what tomorrow will bring.
    (I have a friend who has a 55 Tele who keeps tempting me.....)

tah1962, bftfender and TG like this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Had a blast with no holds barred experiment. 1 by 1 all the crossover stuff..that something else can do is going away. It is actually creatively liberating. Mesa 50 Caliber+ & Orange TH30 & Celestion k100's had a lot to do with it condensing down. My purchase list this year is insane.

tah1962 and telemnemonics like this.
  9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

It's Epiphone's 'Inspired By Gibson' line that could be a danger to my peace of mind sometime...

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Mixed bag and a complex confusing question!

What I find I need to do is discern between comfort-shopping and something like "refining my musical vision".

Comfort shopping is a sickness, even as it may have some good results and is required at some point to get the basics and keep the gear running with strings tubes & upkeep.
    I can generally tell the difference and now only shop for what I actually need, but I get that feed from retailers suggesting things I might like.

Complete abstinence is a great solution, but I'm in need of a fresh neck or two because my main player neck is 29 years old and the frets are pretty worn.
    Sitting on six hundred bucks for a whole month and just spent half of that last night on a Warmoth neck that for a custom order has 95% of all the specs I would order, so that's a win.

I've long considered "getting out of a music store with all my money" to be a win though!

11. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Yep hit that wall too, I want a Gibson SG, but now am bothered one way or the other

12. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

GAS = A disease for which there is no known cure.

Sometimes new equipment will put it in remission but does not cure it.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

Hahahahahahahaha seriously!

Those guitars are pretty attractive and may meet all your expectations, but I've played easily 100 of them and most really fell short in quality of fret work, thin flexy necks, mediocre sound, OK hardware, and just a big expectation that wasn't quite met.
    There seems to be a few production runs that are better and quite good, but the bulk are not up to the standards of the guitars they copy.
    A CV Squier for sure and even some of the Indonesian Squier Affinity come closer to a US Fender than most of the Epi guitars come close to a good Gibson IMO.

Now if you're looking for a nice yet affordable semi hollow, check out some D'Angelico bottom tier models!
    Fatter stiffer necks, bigger better frets, Duncan pickups, and otherwise similar basic quality if not better overall.
    While you may not want taller frets, those Epi frets are so low that a level & crown to get them to play really well puts them down around fretless wonder AKA ready for a refret height.

Here's a pretty fair comparison video, and because so many whine about the truly funny looking headstock, the well made D'Angelico guitars are a great bargain used and even still very reasonably priced new.

Hhahahahahahahahahahaha Sorry!!!

14. telemnemonics

Symptoms that it's killing you include continuing to shop after the latest unboxing!

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Where are y’all selling off all this gear???

16. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

You don't sound very sorry.

I've only bought 2 of them but both are fine.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Over here there's Adverts.ie and DoneDeal...

18. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Several things tend to put the brakes on my GAS:

- no room

- don't really care about pedals

- nyeaah, I buy the odd amp, granted

- RSI in my hands so I can't play much anyway

- I don't like having 2 guitars that basically do the same thing

- guitars are machines, and machines need maintenance. I would fret over a room full of guitars going dusty and rusty and not looked after.

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Five electrics and an acoustic. Ya think it's time to learn to play 'em right?

Obsessed and Richie Cunningham like this.
  20. telemnemonics

A lot of them are indeed pretty nice and if you don't prefer a bigger neck and bigger frets they can be fine.

I get the sense that both Fender and Gibson withhold big necks from their lower priced guitars in an attempt to reduce the number of older players that find what they need in the low priced stuff, figuring at least some of us will eventually cave and pay the extra to get a nice fat neck in our mitts.

I tried really hard to like them and bought a 335 Pro but returned it after a few weeks.
    If a thinner neck and low frets worked for me I would have kept it.

Flaneur likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.