Our Rabbitry

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Cool operation

Everyday is a learning day. I had no clue rabbits were called bucks and does.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I raised rabbits as a teen, when I was about 13-14 years old, I think. We lived in a small Texas town then. When we moved to the city of Corpus Christi, that was the end of my rabbitry efforts.

Yeah, rabbits are cute. I got no problem harvesting them for their meat. Our quail are kinda cute, too. At least, my wife thinks so. They look kinda dorky to me. I got no problem harvesting them, either. We're not doing this for pets.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
We get bags of rabbit poop from some people in our neighborhood that keep rabbits. We compost the rabbit poop and use it in our gardens. So I love rabbits!

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I never saw a rabbit on a dinner table up here, growing up.... we did our best to keep them out of the state with fences/baits, etc...;)
I'm sure I've eaten a rabbit stew one time, but can't remember where?... I've seen the meat at some supermarkets/butchers... dead ones are OK I guess.. not live ones...

• Last updated:
  • 04 Oct 2022
European Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) is a restricted invasive animal under the Biosecurity Act.

In Queensland rabbits must not be kept, moved, fed, given away, sold or released into the environment without a permit.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
You have experience with them so know what you’re up for. We raised them without intending to: my MIL got our kids each a cute white bunny for Easter, and the seller obviously couldn’t or wouldn’t tell buck from doe. We soon had a pretty big output as they truly do breed like rabbits, and I had to build more hutches etc to accommodate ‘em. It finally got to be too much for me to handle what with extensive business travel so one day I decided to be finished and our last “crop” was 14 rabbits. The kids did name them but were aware of their ultimate fate, and watched me finish cutting up the carcasses when I brought them in.

They are truly good to eat, but though I hunt I didn’t like dispatching the little critters.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I recall a story about men of the Hudson's Bay Company who were trapped somewhere in the frozen winter.
They had nothing to eat but rabbits they trapped and shot.
They all perished because rabbit meat lacks some chemicals that you need to live.
So I don't mess with bunnies. They can getcha!

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Rabbit sickness is indeed a thing, they are too lean. But they are tasty critters and they are damn easy to breed... Harder to not let them breed tbh.

Our hutch was a converted kids play fort, we started with 2 and very quickly realized unless we wanted an exponential bunny problem we were going to need to ramp up rabbit consumption or find a better separator than chicken wire. Eventually we made the fort into a split level condo.

We stopped keeping rabbits just because they were more work than we cared to take on with two full time jobs and homesteading in the evening and weekends.... i.e. too much shoveling 💩

Have ya thought of adding ducks to the mix? Nothing quite like a fresh egg fried in duck fat with a crack of black pepper in the morning

ronzhd

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I like the "Live Local" philosophy. Looks like you have the right idea, nice set up.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You have experience with them so know what you’re up for. We raised them without intending to: my MIL got our kids each a cute white bunny for Easter, and the seller obviously couldn’t or wouldn’t tell buck from doe. We soon had a pretty big output as they truly do breed like rabbits, and I had to build more hutches etc to accommodate ‘em. It finally got to be too much for me to handle what with extensive business travel so one day I decided to be finished and our last “crop” was 14 rabbits. The kids did name them but were aware of their ultimate fate, and watched me finish cutting up the carcasses when I brought them in.

They are truly good to eat, but though I hunt I didn’t like dispatching the little critters.
My nephew loves talking about the two calves he and his brother raised to take to the big Kern County Fair for showing. They used to care for them, washing them and keeping them show ready. Of course, they had given them names as well. Then after the fair, I guess their animals didn't sell, and one day they came home from school to see their dad out by their big shop butchering them! He said he and his brother couldn't eat the meat!

LeftFinger

Friend of Leo's
I would have named the hutch "the Mansion"

The Buck would have been Hugh

The Does would have been named after residents of Hugh's mansion

If you can't remember their names

Just think of the legitimate internet reserch you could do :cool:

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
We’re getting into raising rabbits. In addition to raising quail. And keeping chickens. And gardening.
The U. of Georgia has developed the "Frost" line of citrus trees that can take a little more cold than others. They might work around Corpus if you have sufficient water.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
In addition to raising quail.
I raised some bobshites for a while as kid in the early to mid 1980s. An elder gent gave us an old incubator and we got a heat bulb for it. We ordered eggs and managed to hatch them and raise a couple of broods.

Are you raising bobwhites as well or a variety?

Selling to dog trainers?

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
The U. of Georgia has developed the "Frost" line of citrus trees that can take a little more cold than others. They might work around Corpus if you have sufficient water.

Interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks.

I raised some bobshites for a while as kid in the early to mid 1980s. An elder gent gave us an old incubator and we got a heat bulb for it. We ordered eggs and managed to hatch them and raise a couple of broods.

Are you raising bobwhites as well or a variety?

Selling to dog trainers?
We're raising Coturnix quail, in a backyard aviary.

Actually, the aviary houses both chickens and quail. About a third of it is our chicken coop, which is divided from the quail side. The chicken coop has a doorway and a trap door, so they can have access to a run.

We have an incubator for the quail, which we bought used. (Since we're within the city limits, we can't have roosters for our chickens. There are no such statutes regarding quail.) We're going to upgrade, since the incubator we have now has given us pretty poor hatch rates.

I hadn't thought of selling to dog trainers, but we haven't sold any to this point, about a year in. Thus far, we've just used them for their eggs and meat.