1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Our old guitarist did it this way..."

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Rodrigo, May 1, 2011.

1. Rodrigo

Rodrigo TDPRI Member

With reference to my thread title above, I was wondering if any other members here had come up against this old chestnut. The scenario is:the new band you just joined starts banging on about their previous guitarist and how he/she played a certain song so much better/quicker /fast/differently. I have had this happen to me on at least three occasions. At our last rehearsal our bass player talked about how the guitarist in his previous band strung out the solo sections of All Your Lovin by John Mayall/Otis Rush. I'm a bit sick of this situation cropping up all the time - any advice?

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I always say "Good for him" and play it my way. If they like it, fine. If not, I pack it in.:lol:

3. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Depending on how bad you need the gig, when they mention their last guitarist, you might talk about your next band.

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I had the same situation arise recently where the previous guitar player moved all of the song keys that were flat or sharp to a key that better suited him. Of course, he had no idea that the reason these songs were in those specific keys was because of the horn section. I don't mind changing keys to suit a singer, but this guy was a poser and obviously had to play "on the dots" as keys like Bb and Eb were just outside of his comprehension.

I simply said, I'm the new guy, and this is how I do it. Whenever a new player enters the mix, there's going to be some changes. I'm expecting that you guys will accomodate me and welcome my influence as I will make an effort to fit in with you.

This was very early in the running and I felt it was better to establish who I was before I got steam rolled by the shadow of "the old guitarist."

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It depends on what the expectations are from the beginning.
    Did they say they wanted somebody who sounded just like the old guitar player, or has it been sprung on you?

Sometimes the old guitar player did a good job on the song, but couldn't get along with his band mates.

Sometimes you have to put your foot down and say you've had enough of it.

If you play like somebody else, who will play like you?

6. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Try this response - 'wouldn't it be boring if all Guitarists played it the same way?'

7. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

No matter what musical instrument you play you will be compared to every one that ever played the darn thing.
    Be glad if its the last guy/gal in your band.
    Most often folks will be comparing you to their own personal guitar god or goddess.
    That can get pretty tedious.
    "Oh golly you sounded great, my favorite guitarist is (fill in the blank)".
    Silence while I try to remember , if I ever knew, who that might be.
    Get used to comparisons , get used to not matching up to expectations.
    I was filling in for a player a few weeks ago and sorta cloned their parts for the gigs.
    One comment I got from the leader was that I should play one of the tunes less angrily and more longingly.
    That was cute. I guess I was miscast for the part ? Am I ready for my close up ?
    Whats my motivation ?
    All of a sudden I feel like an actor.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

At least they aren't saying "That aint the way (Hank, Bill Monroe, Other Famous Dead Musician) did it!" I guess my reaction would be, "Well, if he was so good, how come he's not here anymore?" And I probably wouldn't be long for that band.

9. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

you should just look them right in the face for a few seconds and then say "howsabout those(insert professional sports team of your choice here)". they'll get the message!

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

our former bass player used to say "that isn't how they did it on the cd"

he is our former bass player.

my favorite quote in a blues context is when clapton is talking to wolf on the london blues sessions and clapton is being silly and wolf just says, "Oh man... come on."

give them that one....

11. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

When I was young, shortly after high school I got a gig working with a band of much older guys. The leader had split with his wife who had played bass in his band and sang. She kept the club where they were playing nightly because she was having an affair with the club owner. She also kept the lead guitar player. We were playing in the other club that directly competed with the wife's gig. I definitely heard from everyone, not just band members about the other guitar player. I met him shortly after I started working with the new band. He was VERY good and while I think there was a little resentment on his part that Ed (the band leader) hired me which I never understood since he chose to stay with the other band, he also taught me a hell of a lot in short time by jamming with me. I quickly decided, yes the other guy was better, no question about it, but it worked to advance my playing so I never regretted the opportunity I was afforded.

12. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

I tell them I can't even play the same thing the same way twice, how could I play it like someone else? . . . but I have a pretty good day job :)

If you need the work, or otherwise like the guys then how about saying, "Thanks man, I'll work on that. It's a little different that what I'm used to but let's give it a try.

13. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, where is he now....was he that tasty you ate him? :cool:

...and yes, I've come up against it more than once but always reserve the right to do things my way.

14. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

This is a pet hate of mine - especially if it's coming from a singer who has changed the key because he can't sing it in the same key as the female vocalist on the recording....:mad:

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it is a common joke among everyone in the band... whenever something happens we all say "that ain't how it sounds on the cee dee"

16. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

"Yeah, he used to sleep with your girlfriend too. I thought we'd change a few things."

But, that might not turn out so well. Since half of the time it's true.

17. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

So?

18. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

i think i would just look whoever made such a statement in the eye and say something to the effect of..."I'm really sorry to hear that! How did you put up with it so long?"

i'm not much of one to play the "competition/comparison game" with someone that is no longer "there". they are no longer "there" for a reason, ya know.

19. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

My reaction would be, "Well, hire him back, then!"

20. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Tell them that the old guitarist called you just the other day, and he wants to know why no one in his new band is playing their parts the right way either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.