Other guitar teachers at schools...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CT SA, Feb 8, 2015.

1. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

Hi

Just landed a "position" as extra-curricular guitar teacher at a local primary school (ages 6-12).

The my question: I need to send a letter to the parents to introduce my myself and to advertise the guitar lessons. Parents will be paying me directly.

Is anyone else here in a similar position? any examples or ideas for letters?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Hello, it is an awesome "position" to be in. Far better than any music store gig, and a lot of playing gigs for that matter (at least your guaranteed a paycheck). As for the letter,

Introduce yourself

Short bio of accomplishments, education, experience

Your goals for students and "philosophy of music", in other words, why its good for students, how arts are important etc. Keep it SHORT, nobody wants to read a thesis on how awesome music is, but they should know music education boosts test scores by x in your country.

The bad news, payment/cancellation policy (btw be strict with cancellations and make ups, otherwise you will end up doing a lot of them. I basically stopped doing them all together) scheduling times, etc.

No spelling mistakes, have someone proof read it.

This should get you started. Congrats on the new gig, remember that the administrations expectations (and some parents goals) of you are not for students to be Mozart (even though you should teach them as if they are, and have high expectations).

Your first job is to be on time/early.

Your first expectation/responsibility is to keep them safe.

Keep your schedule (get used to "hunting for kids, they don't pay attention to time)

Make it enjoyable.

Make them Mozart.

In that order. You should also sneak blending into the crowd (with coworkers/administrators) somewhere in there. Do your job and do it well. Good luck!!!

3. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

Thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.