1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Other Guitar Forums....Dead?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Apr 6, 2021.

1. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Gretschpages is great. Polite, helpful, friendly folks.

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

my very first serious forum was Harmony Central decades ago but the last time I checked it’s essentially nonexistent...

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Exactly right. I mean there’s really only so many questions one could ask in a guitar forum. These aren’t incredibly complicated instruments.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

There might be some additional details (surely not new products? ... ;) )

I've noticed that there are some grumpy old men, even on TDPRI, who get confused and get their panties in a wad if I post in a thread that has been dormant for more than a couple of weeks. I shudder to think what happens if the OP hasn't been around for a while either

northernguitar and Fendereedo like this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Irritation over thread revival is ridiculous.

6. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I respectfully disagree. Gratuitous sax is the best. Sometimes when the kids are at school I meet my wife at home for lunch time, throw some Sonny Rollins on the Sonos, and have gratuitous sax in every room in the house. It's one of the great joys in life.

I don't like gratuitous violins though.

hemingway likes this.
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

The forum format seems to be a fading thing. Though some still thrive. Not many are starting up. Its heyday was 10 years ago or more. TDPRI and Strat Talk seem to be going pretty well, though. Many of the members remain from the heydays.

8. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

Yeah, this place is a nice comfy fit for me. I did used to spent a lot more time at UMGF (Martin guitar forum) and found the bulk of the folks there to be helpful and congenial. But right now, TDPRI is a good fit.

I do think it depends a lot on what your focus is as a player at any given time. I've been playing mostly electric of late.

Tolerance and inclusiveness - let's keep it going!

2HBStrat likes this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

How about senseless violins?

Fendereedo and P Thought like this.
  10. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

Use the search functions vs don’t necro threads... the ultimate webforum oxymoron.

Fendereedo and northernguitar like this.
  11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

yeah, well that's because acoustic music is "real music" and everybody knows it.
    Some folks just won't admit it though they should know better .

Fendereedo and uriah1 like this.
  12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

So much butthurt over the governing of zeroes and ones. I just don't get it.

this_grackle likes this.
  13. Gevalt

Gevalt Tele-Meister

I like how TDPRI enjoys itself.

Thegearpage has many fun people, but is dominated by one demographic:
    Serious people, with serious guitars playing serious music, seriously.

Also, the average musical taste there is pretty bad. ZZ Top lost a poll to Def Leppard :lol:

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

this is the only place I spend any time. I find it ok. I did some fist shaking at clouds at first, not realizing how limited a perspective I have had and may continue to have in some regards. But evabody has those limits and some deal with it better than others. It's been a relatively good mix though, and I get a kick out of icon bashing, when it's not too heavy handed, but even then, it's just electrons, so wtf, just move on.

Since I've played flattops for a long time, longer than some of you snarky youngsters have been alive, I have visited the acoustic guitar 4um on occasion, but here are two threads where you can observe a difference:

Here on TDPRI, a colleague is ruminating whether or not to save $50 on a guitar, and good folks pile with info to consider:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/why-would-non-authorized-dealer-have-new-stock.1068299/

...whereas, on AGF, here is a thread where a person is "commissioning" his second flattop from a luthier whose prices start at $12,5k. I'm not trying to class shame here. It's not a world I inhabit, and actually, I'm pleased we live in a world that can support luthiers like that, but wow. ok.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596397

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't visited the main Telecaster page here in years, and I stopped visiting others long ago, probably because I have more guitars than I'll ever need (particularly those of the Telecaster variety) and talking about them might only give me the itch to buy more. Most importantly, getting another one won't help me make better music. A few months ago, I showed my 15-year-old daughter most but not all of my guitars, and she was shocked by how many I have, and I was embarrassed because I knew I didn't need them.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  16. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

Before I joined this forum, I checked out all of the above mentioned, and more. Ghost towns, politics, and snobbish behavior drew me here. It's too bad we all couldn't hook up for drinks somewhere, because the cast in this forum is not only knowledgeable, but entertaining.

17. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

No friggin doubt. The necro thread and search function screechers are the biggest jags ever, lol. You have a discussion forum and then get upset about discussion. Without that you have an archive.

18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

E4483619-27A6-44FD-8782-EE4298422B2B.jpeg
    Haha just kidding.

19. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I get the feeling that you focus on different areas of AGF, than me. I rarely delve deep into custom builds but might join with the dozens of responses that a poor newbie gets.

20. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Not the places I visit. They're just, as busy as they were in Dec 2019 when I started learning to play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.