1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OT Primary question

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by DucDone, Jan 13, 2021.

1. DucDone

DucDone Tele-Meister

Hi. I have a question about the two primaries on my Hammond 1650t shown in the pic. Could anyone explain the use of the two extras here? (Screen grid tap?) Other than plate/B+?

Attached Files:

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Wally likes this.
  3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

The "extras" can be tied to the screen grids when running in ultra-linear mode (UL). It's generally a hifi thing, but I believe some bass amps do it too.

It's something in between running in normal pentode mode, and strapping a pentode into triode mode (including beam-tetrodes under the general category of pentodes :p) The Hifi guys will tell you that triodes offer the best sound reproduction, but UL will give you more power and possibly suit rock music better, without going to the "extreme harmonic distortion" of pentodes. In the guitar world we like harmonic distortion :)

4. DucDone

DucDone Tele-Meister

So in a tube amp, what should I do with it?

5. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Anodes to the 'P' connections. Screen grids either to conventional HT or to SG connections. Some switch in either for a choice of Pentode mode, (Screen grids to HT) and Ultra Linear Mode (Screen grids to tappings , usually at 43% of winding).
    UL will produce more power, (Fender style, full bluesy and clean) Pentode (more gain and more second harmonic distortion). The choice is purely yours.

6. DucDone

DucDone Tele-Meister

Could I omit them, that is not using them?

7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Yes. Shrink wrap the ends and coil. Fasten with a cable strip.

You can cut them short if you know for sure that the OT will never be reused in an UL design - your choice.

8. DucDone

DucDone Tele-Meister

Thanks.

9. timfred

timfred Tele-Meister

If your amp has NFB, you might want to try the OT in UL configuration but with NFB disconnected. UL is a type of feedback, and together with NFB it can be sterile but by itself it might be a great sound for you.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There are guitar amps other than the SF Fender UL amps from 1977-1981 that utilize Ultralinear outputs. The famed Dr. Z Carmen Ghia for one The Carmen Ghia amp was built on the basis of the Hammond AO35 reverb amplifier. Dr Z’s Rt. 66 is another that uses UL output.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.