1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OT: I destroy pillows, and I cannot always sleep.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Nov 20, 2020.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm a side-sleeper, single guy in the bed all by myself (for now). Something I've had a real problem with over the last 5-7 years or so, is that I absolutely destroy pillows. They go flat in the center, and then I'll use the edges until they go flat. Takes me about 4-5 weeks to completely flatten a pillow beyond use.

I don't know what I'm doing to them at night.

I've been replacing them every six weeks or so, but it seems so wasteful. I usually buy the 'extra firm' pillows in the $10-$20 range at various department stores. The 'Never Goes Flat' types you see there are no better. I'll wreck those in the same amount of time, and then they're like having a Fun Noodle in a bag of trash.

Something tells me I could spend more money on a pillow and have joy, but I'd hate to blow $100 on something that I'll have to replace in a month like all the others.

Anyone else have this experience, and have you found a solution?

2. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

I too used to hate the flatness of those typical "firm" pillows, to me it felt just as floppy as the rest. Then about 4 years ago I got a bamboo one, and it's been firm but comfortable ever since! I'd personally suggest one of those.

3. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Get one filled with buckwheat hulls. It can't go flat. You may or may not like the texture at first but it's get-used-to-able.

Originated in Japan: Sobakawa, not to be mistaken for Soba Noodles.

eclecticsynergy and BigDaddyLH like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Yes don’t spend the extra money on an expensive down/feather pillow—I have and experienced the same problem as with cheaper ones. I find myself just stacking a couple that I’ve flattened and get a little more use out of them haha

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a feather pillow that makes me feel like a millionaire. You just have to fluff it.

The Mr. Pillow guy can bite my hairy arse!

7. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Well, you can get them in normal Western pillow shapes too.

eclecticsynergy and SRHmusic like this.
  8. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a My Pillow for six or seven years and it's the best.

Cantbreak100guy likes this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

84490E60-5B8E-465C-92BA-76CE239E1E50_4_5005_c.jpeg

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m pretty hard on pillows. The memory foam ones, if I spend some money and get a good one, usually last me a good while. I got one about a year ago that’s filled with shredded memory foam. I can’t put a dent in it. It is (for all appearances at this point) indestructible.

Do you sweat a lot at night? I was on some meds for a couple years that gave horrible night sweats. Sweat breaks down anything in record time. I not only destroyed countless pillows, but a very expensive mattress. If you sweat a lot a waterproof pillow and mattress cover are your friends. They are a WHOLE lot different than the rubber covers they gave to bed wetters back in the day. Modern material makes it so you can’t even tell it’s there. They’ll make your stuff last a whole lot longer.

11. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When I was single I fell asleep with the TV on and it never mattered what kind of pillow. The TV relaxed my busy mind .

BB likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Obviously, you are an alien.
    Do you by any chance have a 40 foot tic tac shaped craft hidden on your property?
    I'll send over a news crew with some free pillows for you to try out.
    If it's radioactivity emanating from you brain we may not have anything that will hold up, but do enough interviews and we will keep you supplied with fresh pillows.

JL_LI and SRHmusic like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As like @BigDaddyLH , ya gotta fluff it. Best to fluff in the AM for longest life. My second wife taught me this.

Yeah, okay, no puns here, just the straight and narrow. Oh wait, that didn't come out right. Oh no.

telemnemonics and SRHmusic like this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Side sleeper who has 6" of titanium plates and 22 screws in his neck...the right pillow was a must. I tried about every gel and foam pillow on the market before landing on one that worked great and never flattened. More importantly, it doesn't move around at night due to the weight so it never ends up bunching up.

I can't find any tag on it now, but it is a green memory foam. Probably a Serta or Beautyrest brand I suspect. I hated the gel ones and the hybrid gel / foam ones as well. This green memory foam though is great.

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

+1 on the sobakawa buckwheat-hull type.

They last a long, long time, and there are other advantages as well:
    The spaces allow air to circulate very freely, unlike a foam filling.
    They mold to shape yet give more solid support than even the firmest Western fillings.

They're different, and it does take a little while to get used to these.
    Once you do,nothing else measures up.

16. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

It may have a funny name. However, the Snuggle-Pedic company has really nice pillows. I got one for my better half recently, and she loves it. Great for side sleepers.

17. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Had the same problem, tried all sorts of pillows 'till a got an Aldi special buy firm one, it's great.

18. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I use foam pillows and have never had one flatten out.

rickthescot likes this.
  19. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

I was given a My Pillow as a gift years ago. I like it. It'll flatten a bit due to my 20lb bowling ball head, but, I can flip it and survive the night. When it's too flat a few minutes in the dryer will bring it back for another month.

20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have Polo down (not feather) pillows from the Ralph Lauren Polo, not outlet, store. Goose down quills don't penetrate the cover so the down stays put. The pillows don't flatten and they fluff pretty easily. I'll estimate that they last about 4 years before I get new ones and move the old ones to middle of the bed for the dogs. Dogs aren't as fussy. A pillow supports a whole papillion or Jack Russell. We have a Wheaten now and at 6 months, she's way too big for pillows. She's too big for the bed. She's using a hand me down down comforter folded to size. I wouldn't say good down lasts forever, but it lasts long enough to be handed down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.