OT for a 5d4 tweed super build

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by caspersvapors, Jul 19, 2019.

1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

I am trying to find out what current production OT is the closest possible to the original 5d4. Here is a picture of the original:

https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...upersize/v1561452960/gm7dgj2likhprik9ucoj.jpg

However I am unable to find out what manufacturer corresponds to
    "596"

MM offers what they call an "early 50s tweed" tone clone model, however it is rated for 50 watts. I dont think the original 5d4 tweed supers were greater than 25 watts.

Based on the desired output and comparing sizes from pictures I can find of vintage OTs, this oversized tweed deluxe transformer actually seems to be more in the ballpark of the 5d4:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18090.html

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would suggest talking to MM. I suspect that they have the ability to build an OT that would be built from a blueprint of the OT you need there. It will cost a little bit more than a ‘catalog’ tranny, but it will be built to the specs of one original OT that they blueprinted as they tore it down for a rewind. I do know that they have offered me that option for a 5F6A transformer.

caspersvapors likes this.
  3. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

FenderLover and Wally like this.
  4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

That one is for a 6V6 amp, reflects 8K and is only rated for 20W. I'd go with post #3.

Wally likes this.
  5. caspersvapors

Thanks for the suggestions guys

6. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I think it was Triad?

I changed my 5E3 to 6L6 and used Hammond Vibrolux 35w iron. Sounds great, plenty of headroom too!
    If I lived in the USA, I'd use Classictone, great transformers! Way more cost effective than MM.

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

8. caspersvapors

interesting, Ill have to check out that thread. So you ended up going with the Bandmaster OT?

So the 5d4 Wide Panel tweed super had an #1848 transformer (this is based on pictures I found on the internet) And Mercury has two different OTs listed as replacements for those.

https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/?s=#1848&post_type=product

I am thinking the FTWS-O should be the ticket? Its also noticeable smaller than the Bandmaster transformer. I am wondering if that #1848 stamp was used on different transformers?

9. caspersvapors

10. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Yes, the 5f4 had a Triad 1848, as did the 5e7. The number listed on the 5f4 schematic is 45216. I spoke to Paul(? I think) at Mercury Magnetics, and the FTWBN-O was what he recommended. The Bandmaster is identical to the 5f4 in every way, except for one resistor and the number of speakers. So even though it's listed as a 5e7 Bandmaster output transformer, it's also a 5f4 Super transformer, and perhaps a 5d4 Super one, too.

12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Just throwing this out there - please correct me if I'm wrong - but for a cathode biased 6L6 with 370v range B+, could a 6.6k Deluxe Reverb OT work? Unless you are wanting more headroom, but if you were, I assume you'd go with a 5f4.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

The Deluxe OT would work, it's a compromise rating, but it is too small for the job. A 40 Watt Vibrolux/ Pro OT is a better choice.

14. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

What made me think of it is I recently replaced the filter caps on two old Silvertones - I had a thread about one, but they were nearly identical amps except 6v6 & 6L6. 1482 & 1483. The 1483 had the roughly the same cathode bias resistor as the 1482 & 5D4. Roughly the same B+ voltages, except getting there with a 5y3 vs 5u4g, so I assume the PT would have to be pretty low to be accurate. Anyway, I think a 5f4 used a 6k OT, and the 1483 used one roughly the size of a Deluxe Reverb OT. And even a 5f4 is only rated at 26 watts? At 420v+ and fixed bias?

If it's built to the schematic voltages - 370v B+ and cathode biased - I can't imagine a 20 watt 6.6k Deluxe Reverb OT realistically being that much too small. Probably not the most clean headroom - although the 1483 Silvertone had plenty for an amp in that class - but there's probably better amps to build for that.

15. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

I built a 5D4 using the 18088 from classictone, and all I can say is it sounds wonderful. Best amp I’ve ever built.

16. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

You're right there, and I once used a stock BF Deluxe reverb biased for 6L6s and it was fine although down a bit in wattage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.