Oscillator choice

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Hey_you, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I posted a couple choices I've been eyeing on the tail-end of another thread. Starting this to get noticed. Came across another today. Opinions?
    lecroy.jpg tectron.jpg leader.jpg

24 track likes this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Those are oscilloscopes not oscillators. (You will want one of each eventually.)

3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

If you are taking an Oscilloscope for an Oscillator o_O... You may be in great danger... :D:lol:;)

Check if you can find the complete documentations and probes of these instruments !

Oh, I still have my Tube Oscilloscope : a 1964 NOS Navy Marine Nationale CRC OC344D Constructions Radioéléctroniques du Centre (now Schlumberger), with its complete Navy documentation (service and user, schematics, military and factory acceptance tests...)

[​IMG]

Its 2300V post-acceleration gives him a super-fine bright spot, unrivalled by my other modern scopes.

A+!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    tubegeek, Hey_you and zippofan like this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Tektronics, it's all I used when I worked electronics for a living. Well, Hewlett Packard too.

Hey_you and WalthamMoosical like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm sorry I cant read the model numbers or makes of the scopes you are looking at, I usually will search out the scope models on google to see what features they have , are they dual trace what is their range the 2 units I have are a hitachi V302A 30 Mhz ( as i just got it I'm sending it in for calibration)
    and the other for repair is a B&K ( its in storage for now until I get my amp repair herd finished)
    check on line and look at the comments for each model , look at the range capability for each one and any pros and cons

Hey_you likes this.
  6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

In my professional life, we always had TOTL Tektronics. Love them. We also had a couple of LeCroys - didn't care for them and it seems like they only lasted a few years.

Inronically, for home use, I still turn to my B&K 1477. Gotta be at least 30 years old, but good for most audio needs. Only 15 kHz is the only drawback.

WalthamMoosical, Hey_you and 24 track like this.
  7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

30 years ago I worked for B&K at the main office/factory in Nærum, DK :)
    Was a technical author writing programming manuals for their VXI-bus gear (with a bit of HP-IB/GPIB).

tubegeek, Engine Swap and 24 track like this.
  8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

oops. Not sure about these "senior" moments. If I think about it, it bothers me. Oh well. I did mean Oscilloscope.

24 track and tubegeek like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

funny I did know what you meant LOL:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey_you likes this.
  10. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do any of these come with probes?
    Good probes can add up cost-wise.

Decide what functions you want/need. Most CRO's offer more than you require.

Also, most do not offer full isolation (between channel commons, or between commons and ground i.e commons are grounded).
    You need to understand this before use (i.e. you need a user manual).
    Most manuals can be obtained online.

Hey_you likes this.
  11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ahhhh the wonderful B & K equipment!!! I worked for Australian Hearing here in Oz for about 16/18 years as a senior tech repairing and calibrating audiometers and booths and a range of audiological equipment, and all our test equipment was B & K.......very good gear. Of course in the day all my gear had to be packed in a heavy duty transport case and weighed about 30-40KG when fully packed. The artificial ear alone weighed about 5kg on its own!!!

Now the frequency analyzers they use are about the size of a small multi-meter and you can fit them in your shirt pocket:lol:

DC

12. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I am green-spanking new with any scope. I learn fast with things like that. Yeah, the little reading I have done points out the importance of probes. And if available. My use would be scoping waveforms. I plan to get into Modular Rack Synth components soon. I am in the planning phase of building My version of a pedal board
    bob_BASTL.jpg or similar: modulargrid_857474.jpg Those store bought pedals are too limited for my tastes.

I own a Behringer Model D. That alone is a reason to have 1.Lol. Or maybe I expect too much out of electronics. I do! And mod things often to suit my expectations. I am also await impatiently for Uli to release his version of the ARP 2600. I missed Korg's pre-order by 1 day! Agh! And there are guitar electronics too. Plus I am the proud owner of a valve amp now.
    Here's what I am seeing recently on CL :

LeCroy 9410 DSO oscilloscope w/FFT (spectral analyses) & additional add-on signal processing options, 2-CH 150-MHz, comes with 2-probes plus all manuals

Leader 8020 series 2-CH 20 MHz two probes included

Tektronix Oscilloscope 2465A CT (no other info)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  13. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Keep looking.

Tektronix is 350MHz. I would research this one, and find out more details (e.g. if it comes with leads).
    CRO's are often sold without leads (due to their cost).

Leader would be OK as well. Depends on the price.

If you want digital storage and FFT, I would recommend buying a new CRO. They're pretty cheap new these days.

Hey_you likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.