OS-2 or TS-9 and DS-1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Kayle McGuire, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Hi,

I have an Ibanez overdrive and a Boss distortion pedal. I want the dynamic overdrive for rhythm guitar and distortion for lead solos. My pedal board is full. Should I sell my overdrive and distortion to get the Boss OS-2? Again, I only play one or the other effect and it's not too often.

Thanks in advance!

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Sell both. Get a Rat and ride the guitar's volume knob to control your rhythm and lead tones.

3. luckett

luckett Banned

You have to turn the knob to go between OD and dist, so it won't take the place of being able to switch between the two pedals with your foot.

4. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

Yeah, along with having to twiddle a knob to get to the OS-2's other tones, I wasn't too excited about the base tone of either side of the pedal. I think really the only Boss drive pedal that I've liked was the BD-2.

Best to do some research before getting too far into the OS-2.

If I can make a recommendation for a different pedal completely, the MXR Custom Shop Il Torino Overdrive can either be a clean boost or can get you into some breakup with the push of a button. It does require bending down for a small button pressing, but with a three knob EQ and a Drive knob, I would argue that it's worth it. Plus, Sweetwater is practically giving them away right now: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ILTorinoOD

5. Kayle McGuire

Well I'm okay with turning a knob, @luckett but I just want to have a fuzzy distorted sound and an overdrive in a single pedal. I think I might go with the OS-2....

6. artdecade

Why not just ride the volume knob?

Thin69 likes this.
  7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

If you want a fuzzy distorted sound and an overdrive, AND you don't mind turning a knob, I will upvote the Rat...that one box can do at least 3 different pedals (overdrive, distortion, fuzz) based on how the knobs are set...

did I +1 the Rat yet...just saying...+1 a Rat....

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

There are a lot of "double pedals" that do what you are after as well. Most are better than the OS-2 and give you more control than a single pedal. The footprint is often the size of 1 1/2 pedals.

Just one example is the Truetone VS-XO, but there are dozens on the market.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSXO

9. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Totally understand, riding the volume isn't going to give you the volume hike necessary for lead work.

Having said that. It's true the RAT (and to some extent the BD-2) do clean up remarkably well, they're more natural sounding than a distortion but not as organic as a TS.

I'd say stick with those two (a TS and DS type). There's a myriad of option available to you. You'll be limiting your options with the OS-2.

In my experience the TS can't be used as a volume-hike solo pedal, it's output is too low, it also doesn't clean up that will.

DS types (why not try the Joyo Crunch Distortion) do that massive marshally / saturated lead tone like no other. You may or may not need that.

I conducted a shootout of various OD/DS types a while back : http://adamharkus.com/category/guitar-overdrive-pedal-shootout/

10. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

PS. The RAT is VERY noisy, VERY twitchy and has a tendency to be very cold sounding (IMHO).

It definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but yeah it does it's thing.

oldfish and mitchfinck like this.
  11. artdecade

It is not noisy. It is not twitchy. And, it is not cold sounding. Seriously, those are three things I would never associate with the Rat and I doubt most of the forum would agree with your assessment either.

songtalk likes this.
  12. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

What amp are you playing through? I think that's a significant element in the equation.

13. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I have the Boss OS-2 and I think it could do the job for you. The overdrive-distortion knob sets the eq curve from mid hump to mid scoop (from TS to DS-1 and more). It's not the best sounding dirt box but if you want a simple yet versatile pedal with a small price tag that fits the description exactly.

14. luckett

luckett Banned

A TS has plenty of volume to use as a boost.

dougstrum likes this.
  15. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mine was a RAT 2. Fair enough the noise could be explained away as static on my particular pedal and 'Coldness' is a preference thing, but that filter control dramatically changes the tone from ok to unusable just be breathing on it.

16. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

It's at it's best to tighten up a sound, before OD, there's loads of better, and higher output pedals to use as a solo (volume) boost POST OD.

17. luckett

luckett Banned

There are lots of ODs with more volume and you may prefer something else, but to say that a TS doesn't have enough volume to boost is nonsense.

Modman68 likes this.
  18. artdecade

I'm thinking his Rat and Screamer are broken.

19. Kayle McGuire

Thanks for all the responses guys! I sold my Boss Distortion and Ibanez Overdrive. Purchased the Boss OS-2 and I must say it was incredible! The tone knob is pretty "meh", but otherwise a decent pedal! This is something I use at home and at friend's houses. I don't need a boutique drive. So for me, I scored. Got both the dynamic overdrive and screaming distortion in a single pedal. That colour knob is fire! The pedal is quite a boost I must say — I keep the level knob at 25% to match my volume when it's disengaged.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  20. toomuch

toomuch Tele-Meister

I used to rock an OS-2 for quite awhile, it did its job great but as soon as I got a Fulltone OCD (v1.7 running at 18v) it didn't stand a chance in my board. As others have posted, a good Rat will do the trick too!

Kayle McGuire likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.