1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Original Vintage prices?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PumpJockey, Jan 10, 2013.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There are a number of places on line that have pdfs of Fender catalogs, etc., but I would be interested in price lists from the 50s, 60s. E.g. if a 61 Strat is now worth 5 figures, what did it sell for in 1961?

OK, I'm sure it varied, but are there price lists out there from Sam Ash or Manny's or wherever?

I bought Fender basses in the 60s, but I'll be damned if I can remember exactly what I paid. Obviously ridiculous figures in light of what they are worth today, but I am curious.

Thanks.

2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

$100 in 1950 is equivalent to $955 today according to most inflation calculators. in 1951 the standard Tele sold for $189 - $1673 in today's money. Guitars are actually a bit less expensive today.

3. zwayne

zwayne Tele-Meister

Folks always seem to miss that "little" detail. Not only does it keep modern prices into perspective, but it also often serves as a counter to those who tout guitars (and other collectibles) as surefire investments.

4. rsi106

rsi106 TDPRI Member

I have that book "Fender Amplifiers: the First Fifty Years". I happened to be skimming through it the other day and at the back, they have bunch of charts showing each amp made in each year and what the retail price was. Maybe there's a similar chart in one of the Fender guitar books.

5. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

+1 on this topic.

6. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I figured my new 1971 Jazz Bass was roughly $1700 street at today's prices. That year I sold my 1962 Fender Jazzmaster and a blackline Twin Reverb for $210

Used instruments were pricey. I paid $50 for heavily used Harmony Silhouette in 1966--roughly the price of a good used MIM Classic series instrument in today's $$.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.