1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Original Vintage Binson Echorec, new video!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bobchill, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

This short documentary unveils the history, the features and the background of the real Binson Echorec, one of the most iconic and imitated delay effects of all times. We were lucky enough to get our hands on two original vintage units in perfect working order: a 1957 T5E Echorec Gold Panel and a 1961 T7E Echorec 2°.
    Franco Avona was a Binson employee assigned to the Echorec assembly line at the time these two old units were built; we went to visit him in Milano to hear from him some first-hand information.
    I hope you enjoy, English and Italian subtitles are available.

2. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

this is brilliant, thank you.

Bobchill likes this.
  3. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

Screenshot_20190827-091952_YouTube.jpg
    The little plastic bottle contained mineral oil.
    You had to lubricate the rotating magnetical drum by dropping some oil on the felt spring between the capstan and the record/playback heads.
    This would significantly reduce background hiss.

deus56, BorderRadio and Bobchill like this.
  4. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you Marquee Moon!

Marquee Moon likes this.
  5. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

no problem! The studio I am at has a binson echo rec baby, are they comparable in quality?

Bobchill likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Does it have tap tempo?

Bobchill likes this.
  7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

thank you for posting! I have always been curious of the echorec but I only saw the pink floyds units up close at the eclipse concerts ( Dark side) and have always wanted to try one out!

Bobchill likes this.
  8. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Good point, Ha! Ha! Actually, I always thought that Tap Tempo is rather tricky and never cared to use it. I was curious to know the general opinion of guitar players so I published a poll in a facebook group. I found out that the absolute majority is considering it an essential feature in a delay pedal.

9. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you 24 track! Hopefully you will get the chance.

10. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

I owned a Baby Echorec a couple of decades ago.
    I'd say the quality was the same as it's big brothers as the echo unit was the same, but you would lack some pro features as you can see by its simple front panel (pics from the web):
    20130217-220650.jpg

Bobchill and 24 track like this.
  11. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I thought it was interesting that the presenter's english grammar and syntax were about perfect while his accent was still really heavy.

Anyhows - I love the echorec. Never had one. I think the preamp is probably what I actually like about it, even more than the echos. I have had a few thoughts roll around in my head about isolating the preamp in the circuit and building it - but the output stage probably has some tricky business re matching the impedance of the output head to audio level that I know nothing about and dont feel like researching.

I used to know a repair guy in NYC that could just glance at the schematic and tell me what to do - and then tell me how stupid I was for wanting to do it :rolleyes:

Paul in Colorado and Bobchill like this.
  12. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Hello Marquee Moon and Teleaddicted. The Echorec Baby is basicly the same, it doesn't have the 3-modes selector (Slapback-Standard Echo-Echo+Alo) as supposedly it only works in standard echo mode. In the original intentions of Binson, the Echo + Alo mode was meant for singers while the Baby was intended for guitar or organ players. Of course it also lacks the EQ knob present on the Echorec 2° but that's not a big deal as the EQ action is quite subtle. The first grey Echorec Baby, (like the one pictured in Teleaddicted's post) had a slightly smaller disc so I assume that the maximum delay time should be slightly shorter than the full-sized counterpart. The B2 (Baby 2) or Export have the same full-sized disc and chassis of the 6-knobs models. On a different note, as Syd's tone stands to demonstrate, the preamp action is terrific! ...Possibly the same as the Echorec 1 Gold Panel.

teleaddicted likes this.
  13. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you for the constructive observation Mgreene, will definitely try to improve my accent.
    As for the preamp action I totally agree. The 1957 Echorec 1 Gold Panel, in particoular, has a really stunning boost on the guitar tone. Your idea is just great, I think you should pursue it.
    ...And if you should succeed, just remember to send one on my way : ))
    It's also interesting that if you switch off the unit while playing a killer fuzz tone shows up for a few seconds! : )

Marquee Moon likes this.
  14. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Not a put down in any way! Usually someone using another language will use their own grammar - but your speech would read like a newspaper article! :lol:

I only notice because I am a technical writer and your presentation was essentially a technical one.

I look forward to seeing your earlier videos.

Bobchill likes this.
  15. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you!

16. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the video Bobchill, fascinating. Especially the bit about Franco Avona - I'd forgotten he did some work on my JC-55 about 20 or more years ago, when I was living in Milano. A delightful man who showed a passion for his craft that is rare.

Thanks for unearthing a lost and lovely memory.

Bobchill likes this.
  17. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Great video.

Bobchill likes this.
  18. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

what fun! i have the strymon volante that has a binson mode. also fun!

play music!

Bobchill likes this.
  19. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you friends! I'm happy that you enjoyed the video, please feel free to subscribe the BTR channel for more! : )

muscmp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.